Makar 9.0
    Jones 9.5
    Heiskanen 8.45

Add also
    Pulock 6.15
    Ekholm 6.25
    Dahlin 6.0
    Parayko 6.5

And let's not forget Adam Fox who will need to sign his extension too.

In points-only league, that's a lot of high quality D-men who aren't worth keeping at that cap hit. What are we supposed to do? It ain't coming back to the way it was before, won't it?

I've been vocal before in this section about how difficult it has been to rebuild my blueline, once what made my team a juggernaut that finished top-3 for 5 years in a row behind Weber (4.5) Pietrangelo (6.5) Yandle (5.25) Burns (3.55 and 5.76) Green (5.25) and Giordano (4.020) just to name a few of my warriors during the early 2010's.

If nobody wants to sign bridges, should we adapt a ZeroD strategy like the ZeroG strategy in one-year roto leagues? Or invest in one solid overpaid D and pray your long-shots give you decent production?

Just to open a discussion to help me make up my own vision of how to deal with all of this.

A big thank you in advance for all who'll chime in.

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, ?, ?
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, ?, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Klingb Brannstrom Bean Peru Soderstrom Clarke
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Huberdeau Zucc Giroux Quinn Couture Hartman Bjorkstrand Wheeler Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Mangiapane Brink Guenther Poulin Perreault Cristall Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: How to deal with high salary D-man

If it's points only with cap, I'd simply make a list of all of the avoid contracts, and avoid them. You spend the money on forwards and goalies, and let the defense end up wherever it does.

Of that list, Dahlin's the only one I'd really want at that price in a cap league that is just points.

By spend on goalies, I'm mostly thinking of that elite Hellebuyck/Vasilevskiy tier that costs a lot.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd keep Quinn Hughes at 7.85 and I'd consider Dahlin at 6. I'd also take Makar and balance him out with a productive ELC D man because if he plays a full season he could break 80 points.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Just posted part 1 - on exactly this topic

https://dobberhockey.com/2021/10/28/...men-contracts/
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Morgan Rielly just signed 8 years at $60 million. Truthfully thats a little lower than I was expecting and a surprise that he is staying with the Leafs. I like Rielly but didn't think the Leafs could afford him.

And to add to your list I would throw Ekblads name in the ring. Depending on if your league uses AAV or total salary his potential ceiling is making his contract a decent value as well.

EDIT: Josi another big $$$ guy that puts up points. It's all about finding balance and value. If your league is like mine and everyone fights over ELC Dmen which allows you to save money on your forwards by getting some great value you can afford 1 or 2 of these big guys which should give you an advantage over most teams on the d-side of the draft. Especially in a keeper league sometimes its worth taking a big hit one year if their contracts become a better value starting the next season (if you go off total salary like our league instead of AAV). Examples: Ekblad 2021 $9m, 2022 $6m. Carlson 2019 $12m, then dropped to $8m, and next year drops to $6m.
    32 Team Salary Cap Dynasty - Fantrax
    Start: 12F, 6D, 2G - Scoring: G/A 1, SOG/Hit/Blk 0.1, W/SHO 1, SV 0.05

F:
    Bemstrom, Meier, Danault, Fantilli, Di Giuseppe, Greenway,
    Hischier, W. Johnston, P. Kane, Marchment,
    Palat, Seguin, Blackwell, Merela, Reaves.

D:
    Ceci, DeAngelo, Girard, Liljegren,
    N. Lundkvist, Walman, Schmidt, Emberson.

G: Sorokin, Quick, Kochetkov.

Minors: Arcuri, Misiak, Nesterenko, Perreault, Ponomayov,

T. Robertson, Simontaival, Soderblom, A. Thompson, Unger Sorum,
    S. Walker, J. Wise, Brunet, Hollowell, Honka, Mynio, Nause,
    Commesso, Hamrla, Portillo, Svedeback, Makiniemi.

The Great One

Every league is different, but ultimately the decision will come down to roster/league size and how much you can actually afford to spend on dmen.

In my league in my signature, there is no doubt that most expensive dmen have low value. However, there are a minimum 72 dmen in our league, and we only use points (goals and assists), so you have to make space on your roster for one or two high-priced dmen. You simply can't fill out your roster with low-priced bangers.

I will add this (again, depends on your league), but I find it easier to save money on forwards. There are plenty of cheap forwards that can contribute offensively. On my team, for example, I have Svechnikov, Farabee, Stutzle, Zegras, and Raymond all on their ELCs. By having at least a couple forwards like that, I can more easily afford players like Josi and Werenski. Relatively-speaking, there aren't as many affordable dmen out there.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98