Thread: Varlamov's Trade Value?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Varlamov's Trade Value?

Hey All,

Currently have Varlamov on my rebuilding dynasty team, and thinking that I should move him while his stock is as high as it is... question becomes, what is he worth?

I have negotiated with another owner in win now mode; Current offer is; (Note, only have 3 rounds in draft)

Varlamov and my 3rd round pick for Quick, Lundell and his 1st round pick.

In essence, it is Varly for Lundell and a 1st.

I'm thinking that this isn't enough... but yet, I'm not sure what the exact value for Varly should be... He will eventually be demoted behind Sorokin, and then his value drops even more.

What should I be holding out for with respects to Varly?
    Thoughts?
    Cheers!!
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Varlamov's Trade Value?

Scoring systems differ, but in most systems that use save percentage and GAA, Varlamov was probably a top 20 player overall last year. Even if he splits time exactly with Sorokin, having a guy with those percentage numbers is just so much more valuable than a guy who gets volume and is mediocre. If your system only rewards total categories like wins, saves, and shutouts, then it is a different story. Conventional wisdom says that Varlamov's high-end value is just for this season and next, after which they'll give the net to Sorokin and Varlamov's contract will be over. If Varlamov goes elsewhere, he's not likely to replicate his numbers and he comes a middle of the pack goalie. Presuming he stays in North America.

So you have to balance his being an elite value with a probable two year expiration date. I'd tend to believe that Lundell and a 1st is not enough, someone who is contending now and needs that goalie boost should probably pay more.