Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brady Tkachuk...time for Ott to consider a trade?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Brady Tkachuk...time for Ott to consider a trade?

It would seem, that by not wanting to buy in on an 8 year contact, Brady is signalling to Ott that he's not convinced the rebuild will pay off through the length of that contract. It doesn't seem that that Ott wants any part of a bridge deal, especially with all other younger players coming due in that time. What will it take to get to the point that Ott starts to consider moving Brady for assets? This is a worst case scenario and an easy out to a difficult negotiation but it seems both sides are philosophically, not particularly economically, far apart.

The Great One

Default Re: Brady Tkachuk...time for Ott to consider a trade?

Uhh no f'in way.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm not sure you truly understand why Tkachuk is holding out. It has more to do with getting a bigger contract in a couple years and maximizing his return than it does about believing in the Ottawa rebuild.

The Senators are not going to trade Tkachuk. They view him as a leader and future captain. They just want to lock him up as long as they can so they don't have to go through this again in a few years.

Tkachuk isn't going anywhere. I think both sides realize this.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

I can't see that happening. Ottawa is going to lose this battle one way or another.

Dobber Sports All-Star

That’s going backwards for the Sens. He’ll be signed but both sides don’t have to win.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thinking ahead...let's say he signs a bridge deal...3-4 years....and prices himself out of their range at the end of the term...at that point Ott risks losing him for nothing. I think for this reason Ott needs/wants to sign him long term for cost certainty. A bridge doesn't help them long term. I have no confidence in management to get this done as they even let it get this far. The other question is when does the fan base start to turn on Brady? Such an ugly mess to start the season.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    Thinking ahead...let's say he signs a bridge deal...3-4 years....and prices himself out of their range at the end of the term...at that point Ott risks losing him for nothing. I think for this reason Ott needs/wants to sign him long term for cost certainty. A bridge doesn't help them long term. I have no confidence in management to get this done as they even let it get this far. The other question is when does the fan base start to turn on Brady? Such an ugly mess to start the season.
    Why does everyone shit on the teams and take the players side?

The team is offering an excessive $ amount on a long-term contract. The player is not wanting to give the team that certainty, and wants the ability to hit the UFA market ASAP. The team also has all the leverage--why would you "not have confidence management will get it done as they even let it get this far"? It has gotten this far because Ottawa isn't a playoff competitor yet anyway, they have all the leverage, and they have a player refusing a generous contract offer and willing to just sit out instead.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by silkysmooth View Post
    Why does everyone shit on the teams and take the players side?

The team is offering an excessive $ amount on a long-term contract. The player is not wanting to give the team that certainty, and wants the ability to hit the UFA market ASAP. The team also has all the leverage--why would you "not have confidence management will get it done as they even let it get this far"? It has gotten this far because Ottawa isn't a playoff competitor yet anyway, they have all the leverage, and they have a player refusing a generous contract offer and willing to just sit out instead.
    Here are a couple reasons why I am siding with Tkachuk: 1) It's Ottawa. Ottawa has a track record of being cheap. I completely understand someone not wanting to hitch their wagon to Melnyk and the Senators. Why would you trust what the team tells you about their plans? 2) Ottawa should not be able to force Tkachuk into an 8-year contract which would end up being the bulk of his prime. 3) Tkachuk wanting a short-term bridge in order to see the status of the team and whether he wants to commit long term is completely reasonable. 4) As an American, I understand Tkachuk not wanting to spend the majority of his career in a smallish Canadian city. He should have a choice as to where he plays. 5) Did I mention that it's Ottawa?

Just a note- I have never been a fan of the Tkachuks. Personally, I would love to live and work in a Canadian city but I do feel players should have more of a choice and not be forced to sign an 8-year deal which would make up the first 11 years of their career.
    Last edited by Daydream Nation; October 13, 2021 at 7:08 PM. Reason: missed words
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The OP is so much better if you mentally plug in “Steve” before every use of the word Ott
    8 Team Dynasty - G/A/plusminus/PPP/SHP/SOG/FW/HIT/BLK ——
    W/SV%/SV/SO
    C: A. Matthews, E Pettersson, V Trocheck, A Kopitar, C Mittelstadt,
    LW: B Marchand, B Tkachuk, K Kaprizov, J Huberdeau, V Nichushkin, E Kane, J McCann
    RW: D Pastrnak, W Nylander, JT Miller, T Meier, Z Hyman, R Hartman
    D: Q Hughes, B Burns, D Nurse, M Matheson, K Letang, B McNabb
    G: D Kuemper, V Vanecek, J Woll
    IR: L Couture, L Schenn
    NA: P Kochetkov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

1. Nobody ever takes the players side and that's not really happening here.

2. People always should take the players side and stop being so tribalistic about laundry. Remember who actually is entertaining you. "Rich spoiled athletes" and what exactly do you think the owners are?

3. The draft is bs and Brady is an FA. Players don't owe teams anything just because they sucked enough to get them.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    1. Nobody ever takes the players side and that's not really happening here.

2. People always should take the players side and stop being so tribalistic about laundry. Remember who actually is entertaining you. "Rich spoiled athletes" and what exactly do you think the owners are?

3. The draft is bs and Brady is an FA. Players don't owe teams anything just because they sucked enough to get them.
    A couple threads in a row where I completely agree with rataylor! What is going on?
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

Impending pole shift.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

I can appreciate both sides of this situation. The players AND the organizations. I am not siding with one or the other as both have sound arguments. Tkachuk wants a short term deal and the Sens want to lock him up long term. You dont have to take sides to see why both feel the way they do.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I can appreciate both sides of this situation. The players AND the organizations. I am not siding with one or the other as both have sound arguments. Tkachuk wants a short term deal and the Sens want to lock him up long term. You dont have to take sides to see why both feel the way they do.
    That being said I'm not sure I'd ever want to sign 8 years with a Eugene Melnyk owned team.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    That being said I'm not sure I'd ever want to sign 8 years with a Eugene Melnyk owned team.
    I heard directly from a past player's mouth that he despised playing for Melnyk, and according to him, he wasn't the only one.