Thread: Mid 2022 1st vs Pinto +

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Mid 2022 1st vs Pinto +

32 Team Multicat Dynasty with cap (81.5M)

I'm definitely a contender this year, though I had to let a decent amount of talent go this past-offseason to get cap compliant which has resulted in the bottom of my roster be lacking and this team comes just under the cap (see Clifford & Smith). I own a mid-tier team's 1st (I'd guess it ends in the 10-17 range) and they want it back. Due to cap my targets from their team are rather limited. They've expressed that they are willing to do Pinto + for the pick but now it becomes a question of if any of these assets would make the deal worthwhile: Walynuk, a 2nd, or Hathaway.

So the offer would be Pinto + one of Walynuk, a 2nd, or Hathaway for a mid-2022 1st

C (Start 4): Pavelski, Kotkaniemi, Jenner, Cirelli, J. Staal, Dowd, Rowney
    F (Start 8): Kucherov, Guentzel, Wheeler, Comtois, Mangiapane, Greenway, Watson, Clifford
    D (Start 6): Hamilton, Josi, DeAngelo, Boqvist, Marino, Whitecloud, Smith
    G (Start 2): Jarry, Kinkaid
    Notable Prospects: N. Robertson, Liljegren

The Magnificent One

Default Re: Mid 2022 1st vs Pinto +

All reports are saying pinto is looking great but honestly I’d keep the pick in this stacked draft.

Many reports are saying top 15 picks could be first line players and 70+ points.

I’d want more especially if you are a contender you can hold out (atleast if this is true)
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Definitely Pinto. You're hoping that 2022 1st hopefully turns into what Pinto is looking to be.

Dobber Sports Wizard

What is Pinto looking to be, though? He's played but a dozen NHL games. His history does not suggest 70+ potential.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

I mean to begin with I disagree with the assertion that this year's draft is going 15-20 deep with 70+ point potential players.

But Pinto is outperforming Norris with the potential to be a 50 point 2A/1B C with Stutzle or Tkachuk as his winger and potential PP1 opportunity.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I mean to begin with I disagree with the assertion that this year's draft is going 15-20 deep with 70+ point potential players.

But Pinto is outperforming Norris with the potential to be a 50 point 2A/1B C with Stutzle or Tkachuk as his winger and potential PP1 opportunity.
    With you on this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    What is Pinto looking to be, though? He's played but a dozen NHL games. His history does not suggest 70+ potential.
    Funny, when asked where Shane Pinto sees his top end offensively, he said 70 points. Kid is oodles smart and confident. While he may not get there, I wouldn't bet against it ever happening either. He's very good. You can't just browse over numbers and think you have it figured out. Watch how the kid plays the game. How he maps out plays. He thinks the game like a great chess player predicting the next few moves. Combine that with his shot, and his strength, poise, and positioning.... Not to mention he's also deceptively fast for a guy who's not known for his skating. Now you get a better understanding of why the hype is real on this kid.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Initiate

And I'll add I have Pinto and I wouldn't trade him for a mid-1st round pick. Not all mid-1st round prospects translate into solid NHLers. At least with Pinto, he's looking very close to being a quality top-six talent. Who cares where he was drafted or when he started playing competitive hockey (it was 15 btw), or how he got to where he is today... he's a superb talent in a top-six NHL situation and doesn't look out of place. He's also currently still 20. I would definitely move a mid-1st to get him. Because you might not be able to get Shane for that price at season's end.

My only real opinion here is I would not project 15-20 top line 70+ point forwards coming out of the 2022 draft, and getting someone like Pinto with that draft pick is probably something reasonable to hope for. If you’re also getting a 2022 2nd then it’s getting Pinto for what, a 10 spot pick swap? That seems worth it to me, but reasonable people can disagree. I just wouldn’t plan on getting Tim Stutzle at 15 in next years draft

Dobber Sports Wizard

I agree that if I had the choice between Pinto now or 15th pick in 2022 draft, I'd take Pinto. I think Pinto settles into a 50-60-point range most years, which is still more than you can expect from an 18-year old that you could draft in the middle of round 1.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I agree that if I had the choice between Pinto now or 15th pick in 2022 draft, I'd take Pinto. I think Pinto settles into a 50-60-point range most years, which is still more than you can expect from an 18-year old that you could draft in the middle of round 1.
    EXACTAMONDO! You get it!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you can get him to Pinto, Walynuck with a 2nd id take it

Pinto, a 2nd, and a prospect would work for me.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks all, rep'd where I could. Ended up trading the 1st + 2022 3rd for Pinto + Kalynuk + 2022 2nd

Dobber Sports Stud

I like that trade for you.
    Certainty has a cost and I think that it was worth a mid 1st round pick here.
    Pinto looks legit.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Stud

Slight aside here - but relevant based on the post.

Anytime you're trading future draft picks the 'value' of these (obviously outside of a #1 pick) varies GREATLY based on your league.

In one league I play in, if I had the 10th pick, I'd be really confident in getting a top 5 (fantasy) talent. Most GMs in that league just follow the NHL draft outcome and aren't big into prospects.

In another league, if I had the 10th pick, I'm sure I'd be getting (about) the 10th best fantasy talent. Those GMs know their prospects and don't care (much) where they go in the actual draft.

So anytime there's a "mid-1st rounder" the value can only really be assessed by the GM in that league.

Is Pinto going to be better than who you could draft at 15? Depends too when you ask that question. In Pinto's draft year, no one would trade you a mid-first for him (he was actually an 'off the board' pick for OTT that year). Asking now, when we don't know who might be available to you with that pick is just tossing darts. Now, with a nice cup of coffee last season, a big camp and really compelling development, he's gained a ton of (prospective) value.

Knowing your leaguemates tendencies/prospect acumen will help you more accurately infer what kind of value a mid-1st actually is.

Realize the deal's already done - more just to offer my 2c on a different consideration if others find themselves in similar situations.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji