Thread: How To Use Draft Geek During Draft

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default How To Use Draft Geek During Draft

Can someone walk me through how I use Draft Geek during my draft? For some reason it is not making sense.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: How To Use Draft Geek During Draft

*cheating*

Dobber Sports Sage

Idk if it's cheating unless...

Does it change player weights mid draft, in say roto leagues, to compensate for categories your deficient in?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Veteran

Doesn't change player weights mid draft, but it will tell you what categories you're deficient in, and in turn, allow you to sort players based off of those categories.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I have zero respect for anybody that runs a computer program while in-draft.
    Zero.

If you are going to do that... YOU aren't really competing.
    A computer is competing on your behalf.

Awful.

(FWIW - I love FHG and tools like it. GMs can use them to study, prepare pre-draft... manage your team after draft... just don't use them IN-draft. That's pure cheating, IMO.)

Someday I'm going to find a way to organize a true hockey pool of the top fantasy hockey GMs.
    It'll be live room... in an actual room... with actual people... and no electronic devices will be permitted.
    Just a draft board with all the names and a bunch of people that are trying to compete the right way.

Dobber Sports Sage

If it's just quality of life - Players neatly organized with their stats for you to make your decisions. Cross of list when selected. No different than a draft list on paper.

It's when it becomes more than quality of life like tracking other teams and your own teams stats to show in real time what areas your team lacks is where I can see it as cheating. (which FHG seems to do).

What if it's a self made tool? - that's your own creation your own draft preparation.

Just throwing out thoughts.

Dobber Sports Superstar

To answer the OP question you are looking for the "Draft Guru" it is under "Leagues/Tools/Rankings". Enter or Select your league, then draft guru.
    The Draft Guru lets you assign each drafted player to his appropriate roster and displays the top available player, top by position, and "top by stat"

Unless I'm missing something the Draft Guru does not really do anything a spreadsheet with "sort" does.
    The Guru lets you setup your league and then each time a player is drafted you place him on the designated roster.

In draft you can find "Top Available Overall", "Top Available by Position" and "Top Available by Stat" but anyone with excel (which everyone in my league has) can do that. Sort by Rankings = Top Available, Sort by Rankings, scan for position --> top by position. Sort by stat --> top by Stat. Also if you're online Yahoo and ESPN let you do this as well.

Does not seem any different to me.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    In draft you can find "Top Available Overall", "Top Available by Position" and "Top Available by Stat" but anyone with excel (which everyone in my league has) can do that. Sort by Rankings = Top Available, Sort by Rankings, scan for position --> top by position. Sort by stat --> top by Stat. Also if you're online Yahoo and ESPN let you do this as well.

Does not seem any different to me.
    Well the FHG tool would allow you interaction with your own projections. Yahoo ESPN would not. Does yahoo show other team stat totals?

Using spreadsheets mid draft allows you to take advantage of the Advanced Filter function.. Great for drafting in salary cap leagues.
    Reoptimize lineup every time one of your optimal players is picked.
    You could probably do something with it, be really intensive, for Auction drafts too. Auction draft cap league cray cray!
    That I could consider as cheating - but be fun to create.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm in a Play Off Pool Draft sort of like this... no top fantasy hockey GM's though. One and done. Put a player on your roster and if his team is eliminated from the Play Offs he is gone. Skaters G-1, A-1. Goalies...W-2 +1 for a shut out. About 20 of us. 15 Players per team. I've been doing this for 33 years. Has been going on for at least 40 years but we didn't do it last year because of covid.
    Not serious like it sounds you want, but no computers other than the Commish of the League entering the picks onto his. Great fun and good $$ to the winners.

Pengwin7..."Someday I'm going to find a way to organize a true hockey pool of the top fantasy hockey GMs.
    It'll be live room... in an actual room... with actual people... and no electronic devices will be permitted."
    Just a draft board with all the names and a bunch of people that are trying to compete the right way.[/QUOTE]

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Someday I'm going to find a way to organize a true hockey pool of the top fantasy hockey GMs.
    It'll be live room... in an actual room... with actual people... and no electronic devices will be permitted.
    Just a draft board with all the names and a bunch of people that are trying to compete the right way.
    Pengwin7 I totally agree. The most fun I’ve had in hockey pools was getting the 8, 10 guys together at the pub with our lists of players. Picking cards to determine draft order. Then go around the table making our picks. Points, wins and shut outs. Get together once a month at the pub. Make trades and walk away with a completely different team. You ranked players by using Hockey guides and your gut feelings.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Strome, Haula
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Svechnikov-RW/LW, Hathaway
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Benoit, Schneider, Burroughs
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Genius

The most fun I have is when I say “I’m hoping to 5-peat this year!”

Thanks FHG.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Sage

Pengwin7 would this league have no draft lists too? Just straight off the dome. That would be pretty cool.
    Every draft I do I have a list in front of me - so it would be different for sure!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    I'm in a Play Off Pool Draft sort of like this... no top fantasy hockey GM's though. One and done. Put a player on your roster and if his team is eliminated from the Play Offs he is gone. Skaters G-1, A-1. Goalies...W-2 +1 for a shut out. About 20 of us. 15 Players per team. I've been doing this for 33 years. Has been going on for at least 40 years but we didn't do it last year because of covid.
    Not serious like it sounds you want, but no computers other than the Commish of the League entering the picks onto his. Great fun and good $$ to the winners.

Pengwin7..."Someday I'm going to find a way to organize a true hockey pool of the top fantasy hockey GMs.
    It'll be live room... in an actual room... with actual people... and no electronic devices will be permitted."
    [/QUOTE]

This reminds me of a long running debate professors would have in University (mainly law school) about which was a a better reflection of a student's capabilities: open book or closed book exams.
    Open book (access to cheat sheets and technology) favors those who are poor at memorization but can review, understand and apply complex concepts. It also better reflects the real world today, as access to technology is a given.
    Sure you can have a computer run the math but understanding what this means, how it influences your picks, and knowing when to ignore the math given other league members tendencies are all required for success.

Closed book exams (no cheat sheets) rely stronger on the memorization of facts (players, stats and rankings) and favor those with strong memorization skills.
    Inevitably if you were to perform a totally "closed book" draft there would be at least one player whom would fall completely off the board solely because he was forgotten or missed. Then, at some point a manager might randomly remember/realize that say... Sidney Crosby had not been named at it was the 14th round, what a steal! But does that show understanding or knowledge of the game, or merely a stronger ability to memorize?

Running closed book does not prove one is a better or smarter fantasy GM, it just emphasizes a different skill set.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

Funny you mentioned Crosby as he's probably the most I hear asked at the draft table "Has Crosby been drafted yet"