Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zero G's Draft Strategy

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Zero G's Draft Strategy

seems like this strategy is gaining steam. is this really the best way to approach goalies? seems risky.

have an upcoming draft where goalie stats are W, GAA, SV% so i'm actually thinking this could be viable if i target like sorokin or someone similar who should have good ratios as opposed to like markstrom or jarry or binnington who will start more games but probably have worse ratios

skater cats are g, a, +/-, ppp, sog, fow if it matters
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Zero G's Draft Strategy

I used the Zero G strategy in my draft last night. It's a 12 team head to head league with the following settings:

3C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D, 2 Util, 2G, 3BN, 3IR

Stats: G, A, +/-, PP Points, SH Points, GWG, Shots, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, Shutouts

My plan was to pick my goalies in the last few rounds since with 4 goalie stats out of 12 categories and 12 teams with 2 goalie spots, I was very comfortable that worst case scenario would be I would get goalies ranked 37 + 38. I was comfortable with that as I figured one of the goalies left would be in my top 20 for actual rankings.

I ended up drafting Jeremy Swayman as my first goalie in round 12. Then I drafted Calvin Petersen in round 13. I then took Ben Bishop in the final round simply because I could stash him on IR. I am very happy with my goaltending and got to use my first 11 picks on skaters.

Here's how my team looks:
    Barkov
    Seguin
    O'Reilly
    Marchand
    Debrincat
    Puljujarvi
    Giroux
    Eriksson Ek
    Marchessault
    McCann
    Schwartz
    Tolvanen
    Hamilton
    Petry
    Provorov

Dobber Sports Ace

its the risk that worries me. the league in question is a keep 4 league - my guess on goalies kept will be Vasi, Helle, Saros, Igor, Lehner, Campbell, Price, MAF, Mrazek - keepers are finalized until this weekend

since i really only should worry about ratios - the zero g strat could work, but i probably would still need to grab one early as to not fear punting all the cats each week since my cats are 33% of the total

but then grabbing one early defeats the concept of the zero g strat. i've talked myself into a circle...
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

D:
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I've been a big fan of skater-heavy drafting for a long-time.
    But with 32 NHL teams and only 4 elite goalies... I believe it's a good year to let goalies "fall" to you.
    I think, at end of year, we'll see the top teams being those that used early rounds for skaters.

I think it's a bit "novel" for somebody to act like its a new strategy.
    Teams will still need a goalie to win.

But in H2H, especially, if you win the skater cats, you move on in playoffs.
    I've been touting this for years... but seems like a clever-name for a strategy >> the actual strategy! LOL.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    But with 32 NHL teams and only 4 elite goalies... I believe it's a good year to let goalies "fall" to you.
    I think, at end of year, we'll see the top teams being those that used early rounds for skaters.

I've been touting this for years... but seems like a clever-name for a strategy >> the actual strategy! LOL.
    lol. Well it’s a new strategy for me. Have you had good results over the years? And does it translate to keeper vs redraft leagues? Obviously the size of the keeper league matters where’s there’s many more skaters off the board already for the draft. It’s a keep 4 league that I’m toiling over
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

D:
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Pro

When most goalie cats are ratio ones, I like the late goalie strategy a lot. A ton of good value in those cats in backup goalies or 1B goalies, whatever you want to call them.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Last season I took Grubauer round 5, Talbot around round 10, and Khakkonen towards the end of the draft. Finished 1st place.

I'm not a fan of completely ignoring goalies until round 15+ but I'll be focusing again on skaters and drafting goalies when I like their value at a specific pick.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Icon

Only 1/3 of your categories are goalie stats...that means that 2/3 are skater stats. Keepers or no keepers does not change the strategy at all. The questions to ask yourself is the following:

How many goalies are going to be drafted "early" (this would include keepers)?
    How many goalies are going to be drafted at all?
    Are you comfortable owning only goalies that won't get drafted or would you prefer a goalie that won't go "early" or would you prefer to pick one of the "early" goalies?

The last question tells you when you should be picking your goalie.

In my league, I knew that with 12 teams and a likelihood of almost no teams drafting 4 goalies, I was very comfortable waiting until late to draft a goalie since I would be happy with the 37th goalie drafted. I ended up taking the 25th goalie picked. Turns out that I should have waited even longer as Anton Khudobin & Pavel Francouz were not even drafted. I would have been happy with those 2 in my league.

Dobber Sports Ace

Last year 4 goalies went in round 1 with another 2 in round 2. With the 9 probable keepers, that’s 15 goalies already off the board.

With all those gone, it might just be easier to work the 1b goalies. The only one I think I’d want early is kuemper but I doubt he be there when I pick at 11

whichever way I go I’m probably going to have drafters remorse
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

D:
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Yup Pengwin has been hyping this forever. And it makes sense for all the reasons he described.
    Skaters have more categories, skaters are more consistent, skaters do not have ratios and cannot harm you (outside +/-).
    Focus on skaters and in week goalie management (streaming good backup starts) and you have a better chance to succeed.

Now if everyone leaves goalies and you can grab Vasilevsky in say, the 3rd round, then do it. Otherwise
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I hate the name. It's "Late G" not "Zero G" - unless you are in a points league where goalies are literally not required. Someone was in one of those here, and he had a literal zero g strategy. I much prefer to call it "Skating Dominating", but that's just what I call it in my head.

It's a very viable strategy in a one year or very limited keeper league with the right scoring system. If you are in (near-)dynasty, you can't follow it, as your draft doesn't set up that way. You can win doing it, you can win doing something else.

If your goalie scoring has no ratios and is volume based, then this is less useful.

What you are looking at doing is punting Wins with your goalie strategy, and that works fine. Punting categories in fantasy sports has likely been around longer than fantasy hockey.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I hate the name. It's "Late G" not "Zero G" - unless you are in a points league where goalies are literally not required. Someone was in one of those here, and he had a literal zero g strategy. I much prefer to call it "Skating Dominating", but that's just what I call it in my head.

It's a very viable strategy in a one year or very limited keeper league with the right scoring system. If you are in (near-)dynasty, you can't follow it, as your draft doesn't set up that way. You can win doing it, you can win doing something else.

If your goalie scoring has no ratios and is volume based, then this is less useful.

What you are looking at doing is punting Wins with your goalie strategy, and that works fine. Punting categories in fantasy sports has likely been around longer than fantasy hockey.
    This seriously could not have been said any better. The "Zero" G misnomer is actually really misleading.
    Rep to you SG if I can!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Sage

Been saying this for years, but everyone just wanted to draft Vasilevskiy at 6.
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...-to-draft-at-6

Having zero goalies works somewhat, I've done it. Won the season with it. The problem with it becomes apparent when playoff starts. Now teams will counter it by running very minimal goalies (enough to just hit the goalie mins) and rest players. The advantage you have from one extra player is really depreciated by not being able to fit him into a starting spot.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Blues_fan1000 View Post
    its the risk that worries me.
    Goalies themselves are not exactly safe plays

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post

sorry, I’ve just heard it referred to as the zero g thing. I think it was in some ramblings a few days ago

I guess the question is am I comfortable with swayman and Peterson as my goalies this year. Feel like if I can swallow that then I should be good
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

D:
    ​IR:
    NA: