Thread: Draft Results, Roster Needs, mid draft Trade?! REP

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Draft Results, Roster Needs, mid draft Trade?! REP

Last night I completed my leagues draft (Points and +/- only, Goalies: W, SO, OTL), I was drafting from the 5 spot, non-snake draft. It was going well for me as a few names dropped to me that I was not expecting to but also missed out on a few. My keepers are in my signature with the rest of my team but I am hoping to get some input as to what my roster could use for an up-grade that might help me somewhat contend this season. I had a solid plan and was budgeting my cap well leaving room for M. Tkachuk, J. Tavares, or potentially even a flyer on the expensive Seguin with my last pick until I was offered a trade that really threw my strategy out the window and left me needing to fill a D slot on my roster. I have a lot of youth on my team so feels as though I need to ride it out as they develop and continue to retool or try to trade some young talent for proven producers. Ekblad is expensive this year and was my change in strategy late but I could see him having a very strong season and being a great keeper for my team going forward.

After my 6th round selection was offered straight up (by a team in a cap crunch) my Adam Boqvist $832,500 for his Elias Lindholm $5,850,000. I would have been crazy not to accept, right?!

Draft Results by Round:
    1. Anthony DeAngelo $1m
    2. Kaapo Kakko $925k
    3. Torey Krug $4m
    4. JT Miller $6m
    5. Nils Lundkvist $925k
    6. Johnny Gaudreau $6.75m
    7. Marco Rossi $925k
    8. Freddy Andersen $4m
    9. Antti Raanta $1.75m
    10. Aaron Ekblad $9m
    11. Anthony Cirelli $4.8m

I went with my top tandem, also love Colorado but this saved me $1.5m, and right after I drafted Andersen a team took Francouz so I feel fortunate I was able to grab Andersen followed by Raanta.

A few players that went undrafted on my list of notables are...

Forwards: Tavares, M. Tkachuk, Seguin, Perfetti, Pinto, Copp, Nichushkin, W. Karlsson, Glass, Horvat, Laine, Bjorkstrand, Voracek, and Hertl.
    Defense: Dumba, Chabot, Josi, C. Addison, R. Ellis, and all Calgary guys (Valimaki, R. Andersson, Hanifan).
    Goalies: Shesterkin, Binnington, Demko, Markstrom, and Saros.

Another question would be does it make sense to possibly bring in any of the young guys like Pinto or Perfetti over someone like Wahlstrom? Or would anyone else on this list be a stronger option than one of my draft picks? If I could make it work salary wise?

As always thanks for any and all opinions/advice/input and will REP where I can!

Cheers!
    32 Team Salary Cap Dynasty - Fantrax
    Start: 12F, 6D, 2G - Scoring: G/A 1, SOG/Hit/Blk 0.1, W/SHO 1, SV 0.05

F:
    Bemstrom, Meier, Danault, Fantilli, Di Giuseppe, Greenway,
    Hischier, W. Johnston, P. Kane, Marchment,
    Palat, Seguin, Blackwell, Merela, Reaves.

D:
    Ceci, DeAngelo, Girard, Liljegren,
    N. Lundkvist, Walman, Schmidt, Emberson.

G: Sorokin, Quick, Kochetkov.

Minors: Arcuri, Misiak, Nesterenko, Perreault, Ponomayov,

T. Robertson, Simontaival, Soderblom, A. Thompson, Unger Sorum,
    S. Walker, J. Wise, Brunet, Hollowell, Honka, Mynio, Nause,
    Commesso, Hamrla, Portillo, Svedeback, Makiniemi.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Draft Results, Roster Needs, mid draft Trade?! REP

Cheap D men are worth their weight in gold in cap leagues. having said that, Lindholm has been one of the most consistent fantasy players i've seen since coming to Calgary. You know what you'll get from him every year. I like bjorkstrand and tkachuk more than cirelli, as well.

id do the lindholm deal
    11 GM limited keeper. keep 13 drop 10. 12f,6d,2g,3bench

Use current cap.

G8, A7, SHG5, SHA3, PIM1, .02 for hits,shots, blocks.
    Goalies stats. W.10, SO.5, OTL.3, SOL.2, SV.010

F-, Connor , svechnikov , Aho , E.Lindholm,hoglander,trochek
    , mcmichael, Konecny, batherson, Farabee, tomasino,

Bench, shesterkin , pinto, Lundkvist, Tomasino

D- theodore, girard, weeger, shattenkirk, clague, perunovich

G- hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Grand Master

My first thought is that if those guys are all unowned, your league could use either more teams, a higher cap or both. There are guys not taken who aren't expensive, are prospects, and should be owned.

I agree with Thunderfist, that Cirelli is worse than a number of the unowned options in cap leagues.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Yes, he is the part of my team that I am least happy with. Now that Byfield has been injured and Wahlstrom talks about potentially being moved to the AHL I have some thinking to do.

Our league once the draft is complete any dropped player you must retain 25% of their salary so as much as I would love to add Tkachuk (even in our points only league) I would have to drop $12m worth of salary which makes it hard to believe the return would be worth the price.

Thanks for the input guys!

F:

D:

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    My first thought is that if those guys are all unowned, your league could use either more teams, a higher cap or both. There are guys not taken who aren't expensive, are prospects, and should be owned.

I agree with Thunderfist, that Cirelli is worse than a number of the unowned options in cap leagues.
    Yes with it being a 10 team league and only 4 bench spots a lot of young talent goes undrafted/unowned. There are a few players I am really considering dropping Cirelli's cap/roster space for as even with a breakout season moving to $7.2m he wont be a keeper. In a limited keeper I have a fair amount of cheap young guys I can continue to keep so trying to evaluate if it will help me this year as well as long term. For instance I am on the fence about dropping Cirelli for Eklund which would leave me with one bench spot still open and a bit of money for potentially players like Pinto, R. Thomas, etc.

Being fairly new to salary cap leagues I am also struggling with how to evaluate players salaries when it comes to different positions. I am happy to have grabbed Ekblad and Krug with their point potential but am left wondering if that $13m would have been or would be better spent on forwards with higher ceilings and floors and replace them with less expensive d-men with lower floors, like Forsling, or young guys who have the potential to be relevant this year. I keep using the FHG Trade Analyzer and no matter the strategy I test the point projections for my leagues settings are very similar (typically give or take 20 points on a 3+ player swap) the only difference is that I flip my higher point potential D for forwards that are steady point producers with PPG+ potential. It's enough to make your head spin and I enjoy researching and tinkering far too much lol. The only thing I have really noticed from using it is that I can get 2 players for the salary of Cirelli that are each projected to be in the same ball park as him, lots of options for those two spots.

Started another thread considering a goalie strategy change: Freddy/Raanta for Shesterkin/Demko.

F:

D: