Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How many of you here DID NOT play hockey growing up?

The Great One

Default Re: How many of you here DID NOT play hockey growing up?

I think the biggest insight you get the from playing the game, in an organized fashion, is a better sense of positional play away from the puck. This can get coached into you at a very young age.

One thing I've noticed, informally though, is that people who have played any organized sport tend to pick this up in hockey fairly quickly.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Looking like P7's estimations need to be flipped! More guys who haven't played by the sounds of it.
    Nah.
    I've been on the forums for 10+ years.
    I can always tell when the subject gets deep into hockey discussion about who has played and who hasn't.
    And since this thread is specifically about who has NOT played... those should be the people commenting/showing-up.

[I also find that the people that did NOT play develop a greater affinity for fantasy hockey. So they are a bit more vocal, often - about wanting to talk fantasy hockey. The guys on both my youth/men's league hockey teams were RARELY interested in fantasy hockey. They liked playing, they liked watching games... but they didn't love the "fantasy" part. I don't know why... but playing hockey doesn't directly correlate to liking fantasy hockey. I love both, but majority of my teammates never got into fantasy hockey. When I did pools back in high school even... it was the guys that did NOT play that were more interested.]

But I could've easily referenced/knew that Axe played... bobby4... als_revenge... chuckcouples...
    You can hear it when the discussion gets really deep.

As an example...
    When there are threads (2-3 per year, it seems) with a late/question hit... the people that played the game usually have a better understanding of whether a player could've held up, avoided the hit, etc.
    You HAVE to have learned to skate quickly and stop/shift quickly to truly understand what is in a player's capacity to do within a split-second. (And... it's a lot...)
    Those threads are when it's very obvious as to who didn't play and who did....
    And they get very heated because everybody (on this site - when discussing) likes to pretend they know what an NHL-level skater could and couldn't have done with his body in a split-second.

But mostly towards fantasy hockey - you can still be REALLY good at fantasy hockey without having played the game.
    And since this is a fantasy hockey site... intense/deep knowledge of the on-ice game/strategy/coaching... isn't so critical towards knowing which players will put up stats.

The Great One

Even though I've never played "organized" hockey, I played soccer at the highest levels from my early teens to my late 20s and I also played on many organized ball hockey teams, as well as all kinds of pick up hockey games, including beer leagues for a three-year period as an adult before having to stop all contact sports due to concussion issues.

I also captained my high school volleyball team for 5 years, and continued to play competitive volleyball afterwards. I played on the high school basketball team for 5 years, and played competitive baseball into my 30s.

My son now plays organized hockey, and I am involved with coaching. I've also been an intensely passionate hockey fan for 40+ years.

Suffice to say, my "sports resume" speaks for itself. Perhaps this doesn't apply to all "non hockey players", but I know I understand the game as well as anyone, despite not having the privilege of playing organized hockey as a child. Bottom-line, I'm an athlete and understand the game of hockey.

I also don't think you necessarily have to be an athlete to understand hockey. There is no simple rule that makes one truly understand the game better than anyone else.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    NBut I could've easily referenced/knew that Axe played... bobby4... als_revenge... chuckcouples...
    You can hear it when the discussion gets really deep.
    Guilty...I have a hockeydb page.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I've never skated on ice in any capacity - not even once
    I resemble this remark! Wasn't expecting Rizzee to be in the same boat!

Dobber Sports Sage

I quit hockey after playing High School. 2 reasons.

1- I hated the gym. As a farm boy growing up I thought it was fake (lol). I did eventually change my tune going to the gym 6x a week for a almost a year until covid shut that down. Knew likelihood of making it just went from slim slim... slim to nil to even less.
    2- Was accepted to University for Engineering and had a decision to make. I learned about myself in grade 11 that I'd be much happier picking one to focus on and not struggle trying to do both.

For anyone in Ontario reading this, Let me know if you played against the Powassan (it's a small town) Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Guilty...I have a hockeydb page.
    Nice, some good PIMS some solid fights?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I played street hockey growing up, but wasn't allowed/able to waste money on truly organized sports at that time. I'm not counting leagues where the kids did the organizing and we just played, a la Charlie Brown. That would've been wiffleball, and stuff like that. We were always playing stuff. Mostly I was on foot, not skates.

Only organized sports I played growing up were one year of PONY league baseball from paper route money, and a year of inner city tennis, which was free, but once I was good enough to make the in-city travel team, I wasn't allowed to do that as it was not free.

I have fallen down attempting to ice skate, though.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Mom enrolled me into baseball and later I enrolled into hockey. I was meh. My brother and nephew are way better than me when it comes to playing sports. But I still can crush them on knowledge of the game. hehe

*sigh* Jealous.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Master

there was a fellow student in grades 3 through 8 who would stand on the sidelines and do ''play by play'' for whatever game we were playing during recess (mainly soccer with a tennis ball on paved area of school yard) . he couldnt play sports but he enjoyed the heck out of doing this and we enjoyed hearing him make calls on the sidelines as it spiced things up .

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    there was a fellow student in grades 3 through 8 who would stand on the sidelines and do ''play by play'' for whatever game we were playing during recess (mainly soccer with a tennis ball on paved area of school yard) . he couldnt play sports but he enjoyed the heck out of doing this and we enjoyed hearing him make calls on the sidelines as it spiced things up .
    That kid was awesome. Wonder if he was on the spectrum? I say that because I am and used to do stuff like that.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    That kid was awesome. Wonder if he was on the spectrum? I say that because I am and used to do stuff like that.
    I'm not an expert on the subject but theres an extended family member thats on the spectrum and he has always reminded me of this classmate who enjoyed doing recess play by play back in the mid 70's , early 80's.

this extended family member can challenge anyone in star wars trivia (good kid who is blessed to be raised by solid parents)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I can definitely relate to the broadcasting thing. One of the most fun things I did in high school was an inning of baseball broadcasting as a guest spot. I find myself doing that when playing sim games and similar stuff sometimes.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Star

i did not play hockey growing up. ball hockey was my (and many others) favourite activity for gym class during our school years but definitely nothing on the ice during my early years.

i played fantasy hockey starting in my high school years with my friends. some grew up playing ice and some didnt. there was no correlation between being good at real ice hockey and being good at fantasy hockey. one guy almost made the vancouver giants when he was 15/16, hes one of the worst fantasy managers ive ever seen as his day to day management skills are poor. once they got over the fact i didnt actually play puck and dominated for several years, it was an eyeopener for them once they noticed all the things i was doing to gain an edge in the fantasy game (deployment, linemates, goalies starting, maximizing roster efficiency etc) that is more moneyball than anything else which requires brains more than athletic ability. theyve come around but as more tools have come available the past decade to evaluate performance the guys the relied solely on the eyetest/their irrelevant natural ability fall further and further behind. i appreciate the donation to my winnings though lol

i started playing ice hockey when i was 22/23 cause some of these same friends that didnt grow up playing hockey chose to do so as well. i thank my lucky stars that i let them make me play with them even though i could barely skate as it is THE BEST CARDIO. i will never be as good as the players that grew up playing hockey but with enough commitment and determination while i was young and single allowed me to not be a liability on the ice after a few years. with my already existing ball hockey puck skills i contribute just fine in tier 6/7 out of 12 in my mens beer league team. tier 1/2 are mostly ex-junior or college level. tier 12 those guys....can barely skate. today, despite being in the bottom 1/3rd talent wise on the team i manage my team with the diligence i would with my fantasy team by rolling in good recurring subs, setting lines and making sure everyone gets playoff eligible. this has resulted in good player retention over the years and as we get older people appreciate they can just play and not worry about anything else cause i do it for the team.

playing myself has certainly made me appreciate the skating ability of ALL NHLers let alone mcjesus but realistically the beer league game is exponentially slower and we cant really do what the nhlers do scheme wise other than the basics at my level of hockey.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.