Thread: Helping other GMs out of cap hell

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Helping other GMs out of cap hell

How do we all feel about helping opposing GMs out of fantasy cap hell? I know this goes on in the real life NHL (Duncan Keith trade as a recent example) but does it make sense in fantasy?

For instance, I've been offered Brendan Gallagher for a 3rd in 2023 as a cap dump deal. My team isn't ready to compete for a few years, so I'm hesitant to trade away an asset for a 29 year old whose cap hit might suck in 2-3 years. We draft 5 rounds so this is a mid-range pick.

I have no long-term interest in Gallagher, but my only thinking in accepting this deal is that I could possibly get a better return than a 3rd at the deadline or next season.

Thoughts?

Stats we track are; G, A, Pts, PPP, SHP, Hits, Blks, Tks, SHTOI

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Helping other GMs out of cap hell

There is nothing wrong about it in fantasy as long as it makes sense value-wise for both teams. If your team is not looking to compete soon, you have absolutely no need for Gallagher and I say that as probably the biggest Gallagher fan there is.

This deal isn't actually a cap dump at all. If it were, the other manager should offer you a sweetener for taking that salary. You should be getting a pick alongside Gallagher for your efforts in taking his salary. That's how cap dumps work. If you can do that, then yes, it might be valuable for you.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Well the "sweetener" in the trade is Kurtis MacDermid, so not much of a sweetener at all. lol
    12 team true dynasty auction league ($60m team cap). Roster max 80. Start 2 G, 6 D, 12 F.

G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, HT, OG, Hits, Blocks, SG
    W, OW, OL, SHO

Forwards (of note); Atkinson, Backstrom, Barkov, Brassard, Coleman, Copp, Giroux, Guentzel, Iafallo, P. Kane, Kerfoot, Kopitar, Konecny, Laughton, MacKinnon, Meier, Necas, Pavelski, Stastny, Stone, Toffoli, White

Defensemen; Beaulieu, Farrance, Fowler, Goligoski, Hakanpaa, Q.Hughes, Josi, Klingberg, Lehtonen, Martinez, McNabb, Montour, Ristolainen, Shattenkirk, Tuomisto, Weegar, Yandle, Zboril

Goalies; Bishop, Dostal, Driedger, Elliott, Khudobin, McElhinney, Mrazek, Samsonov, Sogaard, Vasilevsky

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MCARTER82 View Post
    Well the "sweetener" in the trade is Kurtis MacDermid, so not much of a sweetener at all. lol
    Ha, well then it's a hard no! It should be a decent prospect or a decent pick.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

You make a lot of sense. Thank you for making me see the light! lol

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    There is nothing wrong about it in fantasy as long as it makes sense value-wise for both teams. If your team is not looking to compete soon, you have absolutely no need for Gallagher and I say that as probably the biggest Gallagher fan there is.

This deal isn't actually a cap dump at all. If it were, the other manager should offer you a sweetener for taking that salary. You should be getting a pick alongside Gallagher for your efforts in taking his salary. That's how cap dumps work. If you can do that, then yes, it might be valuable for you.
    Absolutely. Nothing wrong with taking on some CAP to help a guy out it's a common practice in both the NHL and Fantasy, but it's not a one way street, the other guy needs to provide you with adequate compensation to help him out.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I am always glad to do that.

I've made deals to take players I don't want, get the bonus pick or player that comes along that I do want, and then cut the guy I received if there's no real cap penalty, or just flip them away for something else. Being the 3rd team in a deal to make things work out with cap or fit can also be useful.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Star

Assets are assets, whether they be players, picks, prospects, or cap space. Use everything at your disposal to improve the team. The other GM's sweetener is woefully inadequate.

Dobber Sports Ace

Taking advantage of cap dumps is a great strategy. Just make sure that you're actually getting something for it. It should be Gallagher and a 2 or 3 for a 5 from you. Not you paying him for his dumps.