Thread: Yearly long thread

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Yearly long thread

EDIT : Skip that post. Go a bit further below for a question for my first overall pick.

Thanks!

------

To Pengwin7's demand, here's last year thread : https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...-you-do-thread
    He wanted me to bring it up this year to see the evolution.

I'll try to be briefer this year.

14 teams. Points only. Roster 3C - LW - RW - 6D - 2G. We have a yearly lineup, but weekly we can switch any injured players + 6 non-injury related moves.

I've finished bottom-6 (lottery, out-of-playoffs) for the past 3 years, the last two intentionnally.

GOALIES
    I'm in much better position now with Ullmark signing with BOS, Markstrom a volume goalie in CGY, and Petersen about to overtake the starting role in LA.
    I own Gustavsson OTT and Primeau MTL as future options.

DEFENSEMEN
    I got Erik Karlsson with last year's final pick, but at 14.5M, he's a drop. I have one more cheap season out of Werenski and Nurse, I think Grzlecyk has value at his salary, and I still own Burns because nobody wants him. Out of my prospects Addison, Niku, Perunovich, Brannstrom and Liljegren I need at least one to make his team.

FORWARDS
    Johnsson, Donato, Kahun and DeBrusk are easy drops. The veterans I have left are hopefully rebounding this year : Tarasenko, Dubois, Arvidsson, Konecny and Larkin. Marchessault's salary is going down so I'll keep him. Not sure if I can rely on my future studs Kakko, Rossi and Terry. Also own Fabbri and Bellows for depth purposes.

I won the lottery, so I own the first overall pick. I also have 2x 2nd, 2x 3rd and 2x 4th round picks.

I must be under the 94M cap hit, and between 24 and 30 players. I don't have the talent to compte yet.

And yes, despite Pengwin's warnings, I did trade twice with the powerhouse last year. I shipped him Couturier and Ghost to gain Werenski and picks when Werenski went down with an injury. And the Nurse + Arvidsson + DeBrusk for Sanheim swap last year. The past four years champion lost on the tie-breakers and finished 2nd last year (0.75PPG vs 0.74PPG). I was at 0.56PPG, dead last.

If I want to draft, I must drop players. Since I own 7 picks in the first 4 rounds, I'll drop at least 7, maybe more.
    The following 5 can be considered dropped already :
    EKarlsson, Johnsson, Donato, Kahun and DeBrusk

So, questions

1 - Should I cut ties with one of my projects, and if so, which one(s) : Gustavsson, Primeau, Liljegren, Niku, Bellows

Right now, I'm inclined to cut Liljegren. Seeing how Toronto works, they'll always bring more bodies ahead of him -- even if he finally makes the team, I'm not sure there's even trust in his game. But, he's 22. He could be dealt and find value elsewhere. Otherwise, as a Montreal-based hockey fan (and not a Habs fan), I know first hand that Primeau is touted as the future goalie of the organisation, but it seems like Price will be here forever. Like... five more years of him as a starter. Primeau is just using space on my roster until then, and there's no garantee that Habs management won't go for a proven veteran on the market at that point.

2 - Among the following forwards, which one would you use as trade bait/cuts, if any : Dubois (6.65M for 55-60 points), Fabbri (3.1M for 35-45 points), Arvidsson (4.25M for 35 to 65 points), Tarasenko (9.5M for 45 to 60 points).

I don't have a single 70+ point player. Always hoped Dubois would be. Traded for Tarasenko hoping he'd be back to that level. But a bunch of teams have cap issues, and they'll have to cut salaries. Usually, GMs will take the easy path to cut solid 60 point players who earn 6-8M and rarely the 10M guys who produce -- which makes sense I guess. But one team is 25M over the cap with Pettersson still to sign. He'll probably cut Weber + Nino and one of Hanifin or Andersson (approx 16M) but he'll have to cut one more. Maybe I can convince him to trade one of Eichel, Pettersson, Doughty or Makar.

In other words, how confident are you that any of these guys rebound, and thus, should try to hold onto them?

3 - With the first overall, I got convinced in another tread to go with Caufield, above Raymond, Boldy, Newhook, Holtz and/or Eklund.
    Knowing I don't think I can win this year, tier these defensemen based on their upside for 2022 and beyond :

Nils Lundkvist - David Farrance - Brandt Clarke - Nicolas Beaudin - Wyatt Kalnyuk - Cam York - Jérémie Poirier - Robin Salo
    (These are currently my rankings, although Poirier just signed so I'm not sure how to rank him).

4 - Based on their revival/arrival last year, which veteran forwards should be on a short list to have impact in 2022 and beyond, and how would you rate/tier them?

Sam Bennett (@2.95M) - Carter Verhaeghe (@1.1M) - Pavel Zacha (@3M) - Jack Roslovic (@2.5M) - Jared McCann (@3.4M) - Zach Hyman (@2.5M but 5 and 7.6M in the next two years) - Jordan Eberle (@7M but 4.75 and 3.75 next two years).
    (These are currently my rankings)

5 - And last but not least. Considering his high salary (7.5M this year), his decline in his results (From 1.01 to 0.64 to 0.52 PPG), he's 36 years old, and my inability to trade him last year and so far this year BUT my troubles at finding a 5th and 6th starting D, his salary going down to 6.5M and 5.0M the next two years... would you cut Brent Burns?

By the way, veteran D, whatever their price tag, get drafted. Here's the top-5 options still available according to Dobber's projections : Leddy (7M), Forsling (2M), Pesce (4M), Lindgren (2M) and Ferrarro (0.925), mostly all listed as 25-29 points options. Dobber has Burns at 39 points, but the other 3 competitors I was able to get my hands on have him at 54, 50 and 47 points.

Again, I tried to keep it short (but I can't). Thanks for any input. I expect the typical Axeman, Stevegamer and Pengwin to enjoy these long threads but everybody else is welcome to chime in!
    Last edited by lusshouse; October 4, 2021 at 8:32 PM.

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, ?, ?
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, ?, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Klingb Brannstrom Bean Peru Soderstrom Clarke
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Huberdeau Zucc Giroux Quinn Couture Hartman Bjorkstrand Wheeler Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Mangiapane Brink Guenther Poulin Perreault Cristall Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Yearly long thread

Good on you for bumping!

Doesn't quite look like you nailed a great rebuild strategy.
    Guys like Erik Karlsson shouldn't have been at all on your radar.
    You need to invest young only - or discount salaries.

Always, always, always - think of "improving your assets"... just generally... get something back more VALUABLE to your future than what you have now.
    Being at 0.56fp/g when the top is at 0.75fp/g means you still have a long way.

Gustavsson, Primeau, Liljegren, and Bellows are still worth keeping, IMO... but Niku is a cut. Don't get excited he just signed with MON - use that as an opportunity to move him. Take wahtever you can get.
    Nurse and Werenski... move them now. And... generally, Defensemen are NOT worth their money in points-only salary.

You should be looking at getting a minimum of 10pts per $1m of salary to have good production in these leagues.
    Nurse isn't going to score 95pts.
    Werenski isn't going to score 90pts.
    So these guys have no value in your league.
    Move them now, this year, for whatever you can get.

re: Burns.
    Best time to move a veteran is 3-4 weeks into a season.
    Hopefully, SJ starts hot, Burns racks up 6pts in 8gp. Move him then, whenever he is HIGH.
    Do NOT put him on your trade block ALL YEAR. This just makes guys look bad and lowers their trade value.
    Put them on for a spot DAY - and say "Burns available today, playing well again - 6pts in 8gp". Something like that.

ps. Mario Ferraro, you mentioned, he's the future in SJ - maybe even more than Ryan Merkley. Try to get him... I'm a fan.

For the D men you list, IMO:
    1. Brandt Clarke
    2. Cam York
    3. Nil Lundqvist
    4. Adam Farrance
    (rest, don't care)

My brain just crashed, so this partial-post is all I have in me tonight.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

First, sorry Karlsson didn't rebound last year, so you could deal him for something. I feel bad having suggested that.

Part 1: Don't cut either of the goalies, unless there's a goalie you like more in trade or in the draft. Liljegren & Niku are D, and I think I prefer Liljegren. At least he's likely to be on a NHL roster next year, and he could end up getting some PP time if things break well. Bellows needs a new team, as he's unsigned, and the Isles are full up with vets. Trying to move the other two seems reasonable.

Part 2: DuBois & Tarasenko are the trade chips for me. Tarasenko has next year as a cheap deal, but he's going to be done when you are contending, so try and use him in a package. You don't want Doughty, he's more expensive than Burns. Makar is very expensive, but could get close to okay for that contract. I'd aim for Eichel, then Pattersson. If you can deal Dubois /Tank & a pricey D for Eichel, that would help them this year, and you afterward.

Part 3: This isn't my strong suit, but I'll go with:
    Clarke
    York/Lundqvist
    The rest

Part 4:
    I think are all fine at least this year and next:

Sam Bennett (@2.95, 3.425, 6.35, 5.0)

Part 5:
    Carter Verhaeghe (@1.1, 3.0, 5.0, 4.5)
    Jack Roslovic (@2.5, RFA) - expecting a hometown discount here.
    Zach Hyman (@2.5, 5.1, 7.65, 7.7, 6.425, 5.175, 3.9 )
    Jordan Eberle (@7M but 4.75 and 3.75 next two years)

I worry about these guys being too expensive next year:
    Pavel Zacha (@3M)
    Jared McCann (@3.4M)

Part 5:
    I probably wouldn't cut Burns, since you need D badly. The idea of dealing him when he's hot is a good one. Nurse & Weresnki are about to be bad contracts. Pengwin has a good idea in trading all of them. I'd look to try and cheap out D as much as possible.

Ferraro, (0.925), Forsling (2M), Lindgren (2M) all interest me.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Thanks to you two, venerable veterans.

Re Karlsson. I picked him up with the final pick overall, as I had the cap space. Hoped for a rebound year to trade him. It didn't pan and will be dropped.

I get the grasp of the 10pts/mil average. I do. Thing is, this pool has ran for 15 years and all 15 winners had decent production from their 6 starting D. Having 6 20-25 points guys with 2M salaries wont cut it. Because we roster only 9 forwards maybe? So there arent 9 $7+M guys to give me 9x 70+ points and be close to 0.75ppg.

It just feels like you must have *some* 50 points D guys at whatever price, no?

But I want to trust you! And you might be right! Worst case is I finish last again and draft Wright

Curious if other people feel like chiming in.

G- Gustafsson, ?, ?

G- Shest, Luukkanen
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Huberdeau Zucc Giroux Quinn Couture Hartman Bjorkstrand Wheeler Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Mangiapane Brink Guenther Poulin Perreault Cristall Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just to be clear, you're still in a rebuilding phase, yes? Doesn't look like you're aiming to win this season. That being said:

1. Don't move Gustavsson - he has potential to be a superstar goalie down the road a few years. Niku and Bellows I think are replaceable.
    2. I don't like any of those players so if you can trade them for value I would do it.
    3. B Clarke, Lundqkvist, then the rest. Move Farrance down your rankings.
    4. Verhaeghe tops the list. Bennett is a great pick as well. Then Hyman, McCann, Roslovic. I like all of them at those price tags.
    5. I wouldn't drop Burns but I'd trade him for whatever you can get.

Forgot to mention - Werenski is HUGE value this season for a contending team. Trade him ASAP for a good haul, before he gets injured. If he goes down with injury, you lose a lot of potential value.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    You should be looking at getting a minimum of 10pts per $1m of salary to have good production in these leagues.
    Nurse isn't going to score 95pts.
    Werenski isn't going to score 90pts.
    So these guys have no value in your league.
    Move them now, this year, for whatever you can get.
    I would disagree with that in a salary league where you need to roster D-men. Point producing D-men are just super expensive now, but the top D-men are obviously going to get less points than the top forwards, so you need to take that calculation into account. An 8 million dollar d-man who scores 60 points is still really good, if you can afford them without gimping the rest of your lineup.

Last year's winners :

Rask - Samsonov

Aho - Lindholm - Kadri
    Marner - DeBrincat - Drouin (Mangiapane)
    Ehlers - Stutzle - Kyrou

Barrie - Heiskanen - Q Hughes - Montour - Dumba - Ty Smith.

He lucked out on Barrie and it was the final season for Heiskanen and Q Hughes on ELC. Montour was 4M for 20-30 pts. And Dumba at 4.8M for a pace of 35ish points.

Year before (and juggernaut who won 3 times in a row)

Vasilevsky - Hart

MacKinnon - Point - Larkin
    Kucherov - Meier - Buchnevich
    Huberdeau - Arvidsson - Bertuzzi

Carlson - DeAngelo - Josi - Werenski - Nurse - Matheson

Carlson was at 12M that season, and Josi was at 4M (a steal).

As you can see, he benefited from some team-friendly contracts in Tampa Bay.

So yeah, as i said, in principle, I agree with pengwin7, but I mean, I could roster a bunch of 925k D that produce 20 points each... there's nothing I can do with all that money as there aren't many high performance, highly paid players available. Just overpaid wingers and overpaid D, or as I noted in the OP, a bunch of value contracts on 55-65 point guys.

The only other strategy, which is what I'm kinda on, is the looooong rebuild and draft only prospects and hope they all pan out at the same time.

Which leads me back to Caufield vs Raymond -- which in my other post most people agreed Caufield was the best pick. Caufield has two years left on his ELC. No chance my team is ready next year to win it all. Raymond buys me another year, although it's a riskier pick as he may spend a year or two, knowing how Detroit has historically brought along its prospects slowly.

G- Gustafsson, ?, ?

G- Shest, Luukkanen

Was unable to land any big name on the trade market. All other 13 GMs stuck to their highly-priced stars, and refused to move any ELC, and instead cut pretty much everything in-between.

ALOT of D has been cut too, which means D will likely be prioritized in the first two rounds of the draft.

My only two trades were Nurse for a 2nd next year, and Werenski for a 2nd next year.

I've cut as planned EKarlsson, Johnsson, Donato, Kahun and DeBrusk. I also cut Fabbri, Bellows and Niku.

Now that I own 1st and 15th picks to start the draft, I've got one final question.

Here's my top-15 players for Thursday :

Cole Caufield
    Lucas Raymond
    Alex Newhook
    Alexander Holtz
    Matt Boldy
    William Eklund
    Nils Lundkvist
    Brandt Clarke
    Dylan Guenther
    Spencer Knight
    Nicolas Beaudin
    Wyatt Kalynuk
    Cam York
    Mario Ferraro
    David Farrance

There are also Podkolzin, Lundell, MacTavish, Chinakov, Zary, etc. etc.

On D? Salo, Bryson...? It's thin.

Because our league rosters 6 D and only 9 F, and because it's as tough finding star F and star D, but much easier to find value F than value D, how crazy would it be to draft in a cap league 3 seasons of Brendt Clarke instead of 2 seasons of Cole Caufield?

I imagine the mix and match will look like :
    Caufield (1st) and Ferraro (15th)
    vs
    Clarke (1st) and let's be optimistic and say Podkolzin (15th).

I tried real hard to move out of first and get something but nobody wants to move up, and yet, nobody wants to draft out of the first round.

Thanks again all for your patience and comments!

G- Gustafsson, ?, ?

G- Shest, Luukkanen

Dobber Sports Veteran

I prefer Caufield and Ferraro easily.
    I don't like to get caught in the trap of building too far into the future.

Thanks Luffy!

Something happened since my previous post.

There's a new owner in our league, and he inherited the team with the worst cap situation. I e-mailed him to inquire about any of his big salary guys for picks, but he hadn't responded until now, at 10PM (deadline at 23:59 today... sigh...)

Fortunately, we just reached an agreement :

22nd overall + 2nd rounder next year (which should be 15th) for Eichel, R. Merkley and PO Joseph.

He had to move a big salary, and Eichel made sense. That's the guy I expected him to offer me. But he decided to keep players with lower upside but higher chances of being NHLers this year, and he's pushing to win now.

That seals it for me. With Brannstrom, Liljegren, Perunovich, Addison, Merkley and Joseph -- I need four of them to be regular NHLers by next year.

Might try to add another D, but it locks me into Caufield first, and potentially a forward that sneaks to me at 15th.

G- Gustafsson, ?, ?

G- Shest, Luukkanen

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Looks like that was helpful.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Conclusion : Draft yesterday/today

Pick #1
    With two added D prospect, I picked Cole Caufield without any hesitation (because two days prior, I started thinking Lundkvist or Clarke).

Pick #15
    Most of my 'top-15' had been taken, except Alexander Holtz, which was 5th. So it was an easy pick-up for me.

Pick #22 -- traded to acquire Eichel/Merkley/Joseph

Pick #32
    D-men got drafted early, as usual, but both Kalynuk and Beaudin were ignored by everybody. After a small debate, I went for Kalynuk who has from what I understand a bit less potential, but more chances to be an actual player.

Pick #41
    Shane Pinto was 16th on my list, knowing I'd do better with my 15th. I ignored him at 32 because I wanted whatever control I had left for the D I'd pick. But with Eichel, Larkin, Dubois and Rossi -- I don't need the C depth. I just like the upside he brings in case Eichel/Rossi plan doesn't pan out, or become a valuable asset to trade if needed.

Pick #43
    A lot of choices here for another D. Could have gone with Beaudin, but I didn't want to have two horses in the same race. Went with Kale Clague just as he got cut from the Kings. Could have/should have gone with Farrance here. Not sure.

Pick #49
    A guy really wanted my pick, and offered me a mid-3rd next year (so, 31st ish) for this pick to get Sebastien Cossa.

Pick #57
    Gustav Forsling. It was either him, or a long-shot on Jeremy Poirier. I liked the idea that he had 3 years on his contract, and some upside. Plan is to either flip him if he succeeds, or drop him if he doesn't after 2022-23.

Pick #71
    There's a guy that I liked at the Pinto's pick that was still around : Mavrik Bourque. But he's also a C according to CapFriendly. All my other top prospects were only C (Zary and Pelletier, mostly). I have a few RWs too, so I left Lysell there. So I went through ALL the younger LW available, and the name 'Brandon Hagel' stood out as one I had read about recently from Dobberhockey. Tried to get more about him, and decided to make him my final selection for this year.

My roster is garbage this year, but I own tons of upside now, more than any other team. Let's just wait and see now.

Thanks to the 3-4 guys that have helped me out in the past 3 years, and let's hope we get more 'Barkov signed for 12M salary next season' so it hurts the top teams!

G- Gustafsson, ?, ?

G- Shest, Luukkanen

Could have also gone Bryson (BUF) or Salo (NYI)j instead of Clague. Just felt the upside was similar, but with a longer wait time. Which is why in the end, it was Clague. Bryson and Salo were still around at the Forsling pick, and for the same reasons, went for Forsling. Still have 9+M salary cap, so I didn't mind.

G- Gustafsson, ?, ?

G- Shest, Luukkanen