Thread: Lafreniere or Mrazek - Last Keeper?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Lafreniere or Mrazek - Last Keeper?

Keep 10, 10-team multicat where we start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 5 Def and 2 Goalies with these cats:

G, A, P, PPP, SOG, FOW, Hits and Blocks
    W, Saves, GAA, Save%

9 of my 10 keepers are:
    Kucherov, Rantanen, A. Svechnikov, Guentzel, Horvat, Larkin, Laine, Letang and Dahlin.

Trying to decide on last keeper between Lafreniere and Mrazek.

I know it's crazy to not keep a goalie, but I have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds. And to further complicate matters, the Campbell owner wants to talk trade. So if I decide to keep Mrazek AND acquire Campbell, I'll have to drop Lafreniere plus another skater. Decisions, decisions...

My other goalies are Blackwood and Talbot.
    Is it worth dropping 2 skaters and probably use a high draft pick to handcuff Toronto goalies?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Not the league in signature...in case of any confusion.
    8-Team Points-Only Keeper League
    Roster of 25 Players
    No positional requirements for Forwards
    Farm System of 3 Players

Fwds - Rantanen, Kaprizov, Pettersson, J. Hughes, Ovechkin, Malkin, A. Svechnikov, Forsberg, Reinhart, Keller, Gaudreau, Hagel, Eklund

Def - Q. Hughes, Josi, Theodore, Morrissey, Dunn, Letang, Burns, Matheson, York, Thrun

Goalies - Shesterkin, Jarry

Farm - Benson, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Lafreniere or Mrazek - Last Keeper?

100 keepers kept...but only 10 teams makes me think there will only be around 15-18 goalies kept, correct? You could very well go in with no goalies and use the high picks on them. I'd rather have Lafreniere and take my chances finding a Mrazek or better level of goalie in the redraft. I would also not want to keep 2 goalies for one crease (the Leafs scenario).

Talbot or Blackwood could be another consideration too - I think you could get Kahkonen later in the draft later than Mrazek, assuming he is not kept, or Bernier even later than that.

I would also look to see if you could swap one of your forwards for a goalie with the crease to himself or at least upside. But all things being equal, I'd go into the draft with Lafreniere over Mrazek for sure.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lafreniere for me. He's got significant future upside. Mrazek could be the Leafs starter, but not for nearly as long, and won't be highly sought in a draft.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Both Ullmark and Swayman are available in this draft.
    Roster of 25 Players
    Farm System of 3 Players

Fwds - Rantanen, Kaprizov, Pettersson, J. Hughes, Ovechkin, Malkin, A. Svechnikov, Forsberg, Reinhart, Keller, Gaudreau, Hagel, Eklund

Def - Q. Hughes, Josi, Theodore, Morrissey, Dunn, Letang, Burns, Matheson, York, Thrun

Dobber Sports Genius

Is there a third option? I don’t love the idea of keeping either one of them in a ten team (keep 100) league.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Is there a third option? I don’t love the idea of keeping either one of them in a ten team (keep 100) league.
    The Campbell owner also offered up Varlamov and Binnington for trade.
    Roster of 25 Players
    Farm System of 3 Players

Dobber Sports Monster

I would go after Binnington. Sorokin worries me in Long Island, so while I would take Varly, it would have to be for cheap and I'm not sure he'd bump out any of your skaters. What does the Binnie owner want?

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I would go after Binnington. Sorokin worries me in Long Island, so while I would take Varly, it would have to be for cheap and I'm not sure he'd bump out any of your skaters. What does the Binnie owner want?
    Acquiring any of these goalies will likely cost me a 1st rounder. I feel like Lafreniere's trade value could be a real asset if I'm competing. I could ask for a nice haul in exchange, I think.
    Roster of 25 Players
    Farm System of 3 Players

Dobber Sports Pro

I think you should keep Laffy and use some of your early picks on some goalies. I'm actually in a very similar situation myself this season, and that's what I'm doing.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket 10 View Post
    Acquiring any of these goalies will likely cost me a 1st rounder. I feel like Lafreniere's trade value could be a real asset if I'm competing. I could ask for a nice haul in exchange, I think.
    So you could trade a 1st rounder and keep a G while losing Laf, or you could keep Laf and use (one of) your first(s) on a goalie.

In a 10-team league, there should be lots of goalies available to draft and likely zero guys available with Laf's upside.

Keep Laf and draft your Gs.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    So you could trade a 1st rounder and keep a G while losing Laf, or you could keep Laf and use (one of) your first(s) on a goalie.

In a 10-team league, there should be lots of goalies available to draft and likely zero guys available with Laf's upside.

Keep Laf and draft your Gs.
    Thanks for this. I'll likely go this route.
    Roster of 25 Players
    Farm System of 3 Players

Dobber Sports Deity

I would rather hold Lafreniere and draft a goalie in the 1st round. Im willing to bet you can find a solid starter better than Mrazek in the 1st round anyway.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hold Lafreniere.

Goalies are just too plentiful in a 10-team league... I mean, there's 32 NHL goalies... and so many split-tandems now... that there's probably 50 goalies that'll play 30+ games.
    NHL.com had a recent wins projection... and after the top four (Vas 40, Hell 38, Lehner 35, Kuemper 32)... the next group of projected wins was like 30 guys btw 28-18w.
    There's just SO many "meh" goalies. Mrazek is one. Don't keep him. Especially with your young team and holding Dahlin... go with Laf.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Hold Lafreniere.

Goalies are just too plentiful in a 10-team league... I mean, there's 32 NHL goalies... and so many split-tandems now... that there's probably 50 goalies that'll play 30+ games.
    NHL.com had a recent wins projection... and after the top four (Vas 40, Hell 38, Lehner 35, Kuemper 32)... the next group of projected wins was like 30 guys btw 28-18w.
    There's just SO many "meh" goalies. Mrazek is one. Don't keep him. Especially with your young team and holding Dahlin... go with Laf.
    Thanks. The way I look at it...if my keepers produce the way they're suppose to, I just need to supplement with some 2nd tier players that can put up peripherals accompanied by some above-average goaltending. Aside from injury woes, that should be enough to keep me in the conversation. I like my keepers, so I really don't want to give up Laffy.

I might even be able to snag a decent goalie tandem in the 2nd round.

Appreciate all the feedback!
    Roster of 25 Players
    Farm System of 3 Players