Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Canadian election

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Canadian election

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    You can even see it just with North and South Ontario.
    I do think it's possible to achieve what you're saying without breaking it down to smaller countries. Lots of outdated practices either due to complacency or fear of change.
    Sure. true electoral reform would go a long way in this regard. Unfortunately it will never actually happen, IMO.

Electoral reform goes something like this:

Candidate runs on electoral reform.

Candidate wins.

Candidate realizes current electoral system is why they won.

Candidate scraps electoral reform, unable to see that current electoral system is why they will eventually lose.

Repeat.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    He's also woefully unqualified for the position.
    Welcome to the real world, most political positions are manned by the unqualified world wide. It's the smart ones the surround themselves with the right advisors and support staff that help them navigate the job.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Welcome to the real world, most political positions are manned by the unqualified world wide. It's the smart ones the surround themselves with the right advisors and support staff that help them navigate the job.
    The actual smart ones know there's more money in the Private sector without all the BS headaches that come along with being a politician. That's why most are "under" qualified to do the job. The qualified ones want nothing to do with it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Reminds me of the classic Douglas Adam’s quote “Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The actual smart ones know there's more money in the Private sector without all the BS headaches that come along with being a politician. That's why most are "under" qualified to do the job. The qualified ones want nothing to do with it.
    True and many politicians have used the public portfolio they built up as a politician to get a cushy private sector salary or contract later on. And for all those people who say politicians are overpaid to begin with, I ask "would you do that same job for the same money?"

Dobber Sports Ninja

True and many politicians have used the public portfolio they built up as a politician to get a cushy private sector salary or contract later on. And for all those people who say politicians are overpaid to begin with, I ask "would you do that same job for the same money?"
    No, because I have self-respect and dignity.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    You can conduct yourself with those qualities while in office, it doesn't have to be automatic that you reduce yourself to the lowest common denominator.

Dobber Sports Deity

Or it could be you're afraid to put yourself into a position of criticism. It's alright to admit that. That's a big reason why most don't want to get involved. Politicians are constantly criticized no matter how good of a job they do from all sides. It's a thankless job and one I know I wouldn't want to do.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

This should be a reason to consider doing it... not a reason not to.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

I agree, I don’t think politicians are overpaid at all. Most of us have only a few people directly critiquing our work on a regular basis. Politicians have thousands of people criticizing every decision they make. It’s a brutal job. Many of them put in a lot of hours and have to travel and be away from their families regularly as well.

Sure they may be overpaid when you compare them to teachers or nurses or many other important positions. But that’s more of a reflection of the other positions being underpaid.

I’ve often thought about get to no more involved with politics and potentially running for office on a provincial or even municipal level. I’ve had a few people suggest I would be a good fit. But I feel like my lack of belief in our democratic system would cause me a lot of job dissatisfaction

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I agree, I don’t think politicians are overpaid at all. Most of us have only a few people directly critiquing our work on a regular basis. Politicians have thousands of people criticizing every decision they make. It’s a brutal job. Many of them put in a lot of hours and have to travel and be away from their families regularly as well.

Sure they may be overpaid when you compare them to teachers or nurses or many other important positions. But that’s more of a reflection of the other positions being underpaid.

I’ve often thought about get to no more involved with politics and potentially running for office on a provincial or even municipal level. I’ve had a few people suggest I would be a good fit. But I feel like my lack of belief in our democratic system would cause me a lot of job dissatisfaction
    Even when your extremely popular, you have roughly 40% of people that hate you. Defiantly a thankless job.

Dobber Sports Star

There are definitely reasons to dislike Trudeau, but a lot of people dislike him and can't even say why; it's just for the sake of hating him. I had a conversation with a coworker of mine on the day of the election and he went on and on about how horrible Trudeau is. After listening to insult after insult I finally asked him "What don't you like about Trudeau?" The response was "everything". I asked "Can you tell me anything that he has done or has not done that you oppose?" His response "Everything..." I asked if he could be specific and the single only thing he could come up with was "He gave a convicted terrorist 10 million dollars." I asked "Do you know this terrorist's name? Do you know what he is accused of and why he was convicted of terrorism? Do you know the details of his trial or confession?" He couldn't answer any of those questions. He also couldn't come up with another reason why he hated Trudeau.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    This is an honest question - if you hate him, why?!
    oh I don't know...

- blackface
    - saudi oil
    - snc lavelin
    - we scandal
    - globalist
    - carbon tax
    - climate nonsense

do I need to continue more? The guy is a disgrace

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    There are definitely reasons to dislike Trudeau, but a lot of people dislike him and can't even say why; it's just for the sake of hating him. I had a conversation with a coworker of mine on the day of the election and he went on and on about how horrible Trudeau is. After listening to insult after insult I finally asked him "What don't you like about Trudeau?" The response was "everything". I asked "Can you tell me anything that he has done or has not done that you oppose?" His response "Everything..." I asked if he could be specific and the single only thing he could come up with was "He gave a convicted terrorist 10 million dollars." I asked "Do you know this terrorist's name? Do you know what he is accused of and why he was convicted of terrorism? Do you know the details of his trial or confession?" He couldn't answer any of those questions. He also couldn't come up with another reason why he hated Trudeau.

Rylant
    Yes. Most people are just parroting what their friends and family say and what they see on social media.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Or it could be you're afraid to put yourself into a position of criticism. It's alright to admit that. That's a big reason why most don't want to get involved. Politicians are constantly criticized no matter how good of a job they do from all sides. It's a thankless job and one I know I wouldn't want to do.
    I don't believe you can. I've yet to see someone reach the highest levels of political office who I respect. They all end up losing a part of themselves to the grinding machine of the political process. On a municipal level, yes, you can get away with not having to play the game the same way, but if you want to find success at the federal level, you have to give up parts of yourself to do so.

So, yes you're right. I'm not willing to tear out my soul for votes. Shame on me I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

You can conduct yourself with those qualities while in office, it doesn't have to be automatic that you reduce yourself to the lowest common denominator.
    That's not what reality shows.