Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Where in Toronto do you live?
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Canadian election

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    .... Silence! I keel you!

That one is a too common mistake for me.
    Bonus points for referencing Achmed the Dead Terrorist! Amazing.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I didnt realize one city determined the winners and losers in Canadian politics.
    Toronto colored ugly liberal red.

Dobber Sports Star

There definitely should be some reform, but sadly I am not sure what the right answer is. Popular vote isn't the right answer. The electoral College or first past the post isn't the right answer. Regional misrepresentation has been a pretty big issue for a long time.

I pretty firmly belief that this result is far from the worst thing that could have happened. Trudeau has his flaws but I also think he gets a bad rap. I have heard many people pretty consistently demand that he be removed who are now complaining that he called the election in the first place, I mean, how dare he, right?

While it has its flaws, I prefer a minority government in Canada in most cases. I was surprised that the Conservatives did as well as they did in Alberta, considering Kenney's reign...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    There definitely should be some reform, but sadly I am not sure what the right answer is. Popular vote isn't the right answer. The electoral College or first past the post isn't the right answer. Regional misrepresentation has been a pretty big issue for a long time.

I pretty firmly belief that this result is far from the worst thing that could have happened. Trudeau has his flaws but I also think he gets a bad rap. I have heard many people pretty consistently demand that he be removed who are now complaining that he called the election in the first place, I mean, how dare he, right?

While it has its flaws, I prefer a minority government in Canada in most cases. I was surprised that the Conservatives did as well as they did in Alberta, considering Kenney's reign...

Rylant
    Some interesting points here.

I agree that some sort of reform needs to happen but who makes that decision?

Also, I agree with you when you talk about the people complaining about Trudeau. It's almost comical to read them talk out of both sides of their mouth. To me, that usually means they dont have a clue what they are even talking about to begin with.

And as far as the Conservatives go out in Alberta, while many may be pissed at Kenney, the majority out there would rather eat crow with O'Toole and the Conservatives than deal with Trudeau any more. Most of my friends out West are hard core Conservative people who love to hate the Liberal side of things. It's like they move to Alberta and their brain just switches that way. Again, it's more about party beliefs than the leader themselves.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    Toronto colored ugly liberal red.
    So are a lot of places.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    This reference goes completely over my head
    The Office reference. A character in the show runs off to Costa Rica. He wanted to do it for a while until an uncomfortable situation happens with him and a co-worker he has a crush on and announces he's going to CR and runs off. He ends up trying ziplining on his first day there and breaks his neck and ends up in a hospital for months then returns to the States.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

Sounds like he and I have a lot in common. I once broke both legs on vacation in the Dominican.

But I survived zip lining in Costa Rica already. Absolutely fell in love with the country when visiting just before the pandemic (came home to brand new quarantine restrictions). I completely shifted my goals when I returned to making the move to CR when my son is older. Even started learning Spanish.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Some interesting points here.

I agree that some sort of reform needs to happen but who makes that decision?

Also, I agree with you when you talk about the people complaining about Trudeau. It's almost comical to read them talk out of both sides of their mouth. To me, that usually means they dont have a clue what they are even talking about to begin with.

And as far as the Conservatives go out in Alberta, while many may be pissed at Kenney, the majority out there would rather eat crow with O'Toole and the Conservatives than deal with Trudeau any more. Most of my friends out West are hard core Conservative people who love to hate the Liberal side of things. It's like they move to Alberta and their brain just switches that way. Again, it's more about party beliefs than the leader themselves.
    How die hard conservatives are in Alberta, is how die hard liberal they are in Quebec and Ontario. That is the problem. You would be hard pressed to believe in every single thing that one party represents completely just like you would be hard pressed to disagree with everything the opposing party values.

Also people change overtime and that's ok. If I work for an Oil and Gas company and that's how I feed my family, then I am most likely going to be conservative. If I have a public sector position then I am most likely to be liberal. I think most people are just self serving when it comes down to it.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Just a reminder. 54 Conservative seats of their 117 in this election (so nearly half) were won East of Sault St Marie Ontario. So to infer that the west is Conservative and the East is Liberal is a bit of a fallacy.

I always find it amusing when people used to talk of Wexit. Did these people really not know that half their Conservative base would have been annexed as well?
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post

Also people change overtime and that's ok. If I work for an Oil and Gas company and that's how I feed my family, then I am most likely going to be conservative. If I have a public sector position then I am most likely to be liberal. I think most people are just self serving when it comes down to it.
    Yup.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Just a reminder. 54 Conservative seats of their 117 in this election (so nearly half) were won East of Sault St Marie Ontario. So to infer that the west is Conservative and the East is Liberal is a bit of a fallacy.

I always find it amusing when people used to talk of Wexit. Did these people really not know that half their Conservative base would have been annexed as well?
    True but I am not sure where you live, it might not even be in Canada but whether you vote conservative or green party, it's very disheartening to already have an election over by the time it reaches Manitoba.

As far as Wexit is concerned. It's hard, dam near impossible to argue if Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC separated that they would not be better off financially. The history of equalization payments showed this without a shadow of a doubt. These three provinces have received a total of 3% equalization payments in history vs Quebec alone receiving over 50%.

Think about every province being a person going out for dinner. So not including the Territories, 10 people go out for dinner. Alberta just has water and coffee, BC orders soup, Saskatchewan has a side salad. Meanwhile Quebec orders an appetizer, steak and a dessert. They have also throughout the evening asked and ordered a bottle of wine off the reserve wine list. After the meal is over, Alberta pays and Quebec not only doesn't say thank you, they call Alberta an a$$hole on the way out and hope that they get into a car accident on the way home.

Dobber Sports Ninja

The election sure felt like a giant waste of money, but the outcome is fine with me given the busted system in place in Canada. I don't want any party to get a majority any longer. I want them to work together. Since a party like the NDP gets screwed over by the current first past the post, they can at least have a say in policies since they have some power working with the liberal party. I like it. Still a giant waste of time, but if it was going to happen anyway, then this is a good way to go.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    True but I am not sure where you live, it might not even be in Canada but whether you vote conservative or green party, it's very disheartening to already have an election over by the time it reaches Manitoba.

As far as Wexit is concerned. It's hard, dam near impossible to argue if Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC separated that they would not be better off financially. The history of equalization payments showed this without a shadow of a doubt. These three provinces have received a total of 3% equalization payments in history vs Quebec alone receiving over 50%.

Think about every province being a person going out for dinner. So not including the Territories, 10 people go out for dinner. Alberta just has water and coffee, BC orders soup, Saskatchewan has a side salad. Meanwhile Quebec orders an appetizer, steak and a dessert. They have also throughout the evening asked and ordered a bottle of wine off the reserve wine list. After the meal is over, Alberta pays and Quebec not only doesn't say thank you, they call Alberta an a$$hole on the way out and hope that they get into a car accident on the way home.
    I think a basic understanding of how equalization payments actually work pretty much negates most of what you just said.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I think a basic understanding of how equalization payments actually work pretty much negates most of what you just said.
    I have read up on it. I know it's based on population, total into the pot etc. However, even with that Quebec gets over 100% return for every dollar they put in. Use any metric you want though. GDP per capita, exports which O/G is still the majority in Canada, etc. The point being if Canada separated the western provinces from the east provinces for 10 years and checked back in. One half of the country would be thriving and the other would be lagging behind significantly. It's hard to argue that.