Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian election

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Canadian election

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Is is not Trudeau's job to try and win a majority? Is that not what every party is trying to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    "Trying to get re-elected" is only the job description of politicians in failed states.
    I've actually got to side with rataylor on this one. Our bastardized system of democracy is fundamentally broken.

Maybe Trudeau will actually keep his promise of electoral reform this time. And maybe the Toronto Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup.

Second lowest voter turnout of all time. Something really needs to change here.

For the record, I don't have a true horse in the race as I couldn't bring myself to cast a ballot for any of these parties. I went in and spoiled my ballot as my futile form of protest, fully knowing that it was a waste of time and energy as they don't keep track of spoiled ballots. However, there is no formal process in a federal election to reject my ballot. I considered literally wiping my ass with with it briefly but realized that only hurts the good volunteers at my polling station.

Damn... when did I become so cynical and disillusioned?
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Veteran

Is is not Trudeau's job to try and win a majority? Is that not what every party is trying to do?

Calling early elections are nothing new in Canada. The average time between elections with minority governments is about 2 years.

The last Canadian election was on October 21, 2019. Basically two years ago.

Meh. Nothing to see here. Politics as usual.

The Liberals made a strategic decision. It could be construed as a slight win for them. Closer to a wash. Meh.
    Calling an election in the middle of a pandemic is both selfish and irresponsible. Although I'm not surprised, that's all we've witnessed from the cosplay king over the last 6 years.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Hyperbole

I get it, you are unhappy with the result. The direction the people of Canada want the country to go was put to the ballot box on Monday. They made their choice.

Moving on....
    Oh I don't care about the result. The result was as expected. I do care about the wasted money in the middle of a pandemic that has already wasted a ton of money, I do care about the vanity involved with the decision to call the election, and I do care about the brokenness of our electoral system (regardless of who it elects).

But in this specific instance, I just find it incredibly sad and disappointing that the general populace has lost sight of the job description of a politician as concretely as said politicians have.

The job of a politician is to serve the best interests of their constituents. In doing so properly, they generally get re-elected. As we no longer feel it necessary to hold politicians responsible for their job performance (in a general populace sense), they.....don't. Because they don't have to. Hence, you get statements like posted, as apparently people actually believe it.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I've actually got to side with rataylor on this one. Our bastardized system of democracy is fundamentally broken.

Maybe Trudeau will actually keep his promise of electoral reform this time. And maybe the Toronto Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup.

Second lowest voter turnout of all time. Something really needs to change here.

For the record, I don't have a true horse in the race as I couldn't bring myself to cast a ballot for any of these parties. I went in and spoiled my ballot as my futile form of protest, fully knowing that it was a waste of time and energy as they don't keep track of spoiled ballots. However, there is no formal process in a federal election to reject my ballot. I considered literally wiping my ass with with it briefly but realized that only hurts the good volunteers at my polling station.

Damn... when did I become so cynical and disillusioned?

I get that you are disillusioned with our political system but do your really believe that "trying to get re-elected" is only done in failed states?
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Icon

I get that you are disillusioned with our political system but do your really believe that "trying to get re-elected" is only done in failed states?
    You said:

Trudeau's job was not to try to win a majority right now. His job was to act as Prime Minister of the country (a job hindered by the design of the system itself of course). He could have had 2 more years of acting as a leader instead of acting as a politician.

Therein lies the problem. The system forces these people to be full time politicians and make decisions based on what will get/keep them in power rather than make decisions on what is actually best for the country.

So yes, rataylors quote is fitting because it is the system that is flawed and has forced these politicians to constantly be campaigning rather than doing their actual job of representing Canadians best interests
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Deity

Yes, that is a vote of non-confidence, which is different from voluntarily choosing to hold an election 18 months after the previous one. This election was not called by the house based on lack of confidence in Trudeau, this is an election called by Trudeau because he foolishly thought he had a chance to win a majority, and those are very very different things.
    Im not disagreeing with you that they are two different things. Trudeau saw an opportunity and he jumped at it. I am sure others in his position probably would have done the same thing, all things being equal.

It's sad that the Conservatives, with all the bullets they have had in their proverbial "gun" to fire at Trudeau still couldn't knock him out of his seat as PM the last two opportunities they have had. I dont know where the Cons go from here. Maybe Peter Mckay was the better option after all.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

You said:

Trudeau's job was not to try to win a majority right now. His job was to act as Prime Minister of the country (a job hindered by the design of the system itself of course). He could have had 2 more years of acting as a leader instead of acting as a politician.

Therein lies the problem. The system forces these people to be full time politicians and make decisions based on what will get/keep them in power rather than make decisions on what is actually best for the country.

So yes, rataylors quote is fitting because it is the system that is flawed and has forced these politicians to constantly be campaigning rather than doing their actual job of representing Canadians best interests
    Ok. So you you believe Canada is a failed state. Got it.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Icon

I love how people say it was a waste of money to hold an election. It makes no sense. Had the Liberal Party been able to maintain confidence of the house for 2 more years before they needed to have an election, that election would have cost even more money that this one did. If you look at it that way, maybe they saved money by having an election now.

I also love the people who say the West doesn't get proper representation and that the East decides the election. This is true and it's because Ontario & Quebec have 23,000,000 people in them while BC, AB, Saskatchewan and Manitoba combine for 12,000,000. That is some pretty simple math.

Finally, the entire cost of the election was worth it for Edmonton Griesbach where Kerry Diotte was defeated by Blake Desjarlais. That was worth $600,000,000 to the majority of the people who live in that riding!!!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I love how people say it was a waste of money to hold an election. It makes no sense. Had the Liberal Party been able to maintain confidence of the house for 2 more years before they needed to have an election, that election would have cost even more money that this one did. If you look at it that way, maybe they saved money by having an election now.

I also love the people who say the West doesn't get proper representation and that the East decides the election. This is true and it's because Ontario & Quebec have 23,000,000 people in them while BC, AB, Saskatchewan and Manitoba combine for 12,000,000. That is some pretty simple math.

Finally, the entire cost of the election was worth it for Edmonton Griesbach where Kerry Diotte was defeated by Blake Desjarlais. That was worth $600,000,000 to the majority of the people who live in that riding!!!
    Just like Stephen Harper used to do, you forgot the Atlantic Provinces.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The conservative party is sitting at 33.8% of the vote and the liberal party is sitting at 32.3% of the vote.

The conservative party is projected to have 119 seats while the liberal party is project to have 158 seats.

The NDP is sitting at 17.7% of the vote and the bloc is sitting at 7.8% of the vote.

The NDP is projected to have 25 seats while the bloc is projected to have 34 seats.

Why yes, I do think our electoral system is fair and sensible.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

Imagine if your simple math used percentages, which would be *checks notes* simple math.

Dobber Sports All-Star

After a general election the leader of the party with the largest number of elected representatives will form the Government.

The Liberal party as of this morning has 150 elected representatives, the Conservatives have 119. Not really very close.

You can whine about percentages and make all the quips you like, but this is our system of democratic government.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Icon

Ok. So you you believe Canada is a failed state. Got it.
    I’ve been so disappointed in Canada through the last 2 years that I would have left by now if it wasn’t for my son. Still working on convincing his mother it’s time to move on but the logistics of her moving the rest of her family complicate matters.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I’ve been so disappointed in Canada through the last 2 years that I would have left by now if it wasn’t for my son. Still working on convincing his mother it’s time to move on but the logistics of her moving the rest of her family complicate matters.
    Out of curiosity, where would you go?
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

After a general election the leader of the party with the largest number of elected representatives will form the Government.

The Liberal party as of this morning has 150 elected representatives, the Conservatives have 119. Not really very close.

You can whine about percentages and make all the quips you like, but this is our system of democratic government.
    Right, which I already stated was broken. It isn't democratic, it's "democratic".

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    results of my area ; timmins -james bay

Angus(ndp) has a 17 year dynasty going . I thought fmr mayor Steve Black (lib) would give him a run so I was a bit surprised to see how many votes the cpc and ppc reps received .

Charlie Angus (NDP) 5,689

Morgan Ellerton (CPC) 4,416

Steve Black (Lib.) 3,166

Stephen MacLeod (PPC) 2,292
    Shania should run. She'd put Charlie out. Heck, I'd move to Timmins just to vote for her. Can't quit that engraved vision of her in a leopard suit she wore in that video that i can't seem to remember.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent