Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian election

Dobber Sports Master

Default Canadian election

results of my area ; timmins -james bay

Angus(ndp) has a 17 year dynasty going . I thought fmr mayor Steve Black (lib) would give him a run so I was a bit surprised to see how many votes the cpc and ppc reps received .

Charlie Angus (NDP) 5,689

Morgan Ellerton (CPC) 4,416

Steve Black (Lib.) 3,166

Stephen MacLeod (PPC) 2,292

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Canadian election

All a big waste of time & money to stroke an ego.

Dobber Sports Titan

How much more was this election compared to others? I know this was a big point by the conservatives that it cost $610mill but they never said how much more this cost than a normal election? Just going to assume that it's because the cost of an election is high.

What's the difference between the PPC and a toilet....The toilet has a seat.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    How much more was this election compared to others? I know this was a big point by the conservatives that it cost $610mill but they never said how much more this cost than a normal election? Just going to assume that it's because the cost of an election is high.

I was weary coming here to read a political thread. That there in the bold made it all worthwhile. Lmao!!

Dobber Sports Icon

Until the seat numbers is changed east vs west then really nothing will change. Us out here in the west are basically stuck with whoever you all out in the east vote in.

I’m pretty sure it’s no shocker that we needed up almost exactly where we were when the writ was dropped.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Deity

This was supposedly the most expensive election ever held but to be fair, everything is more expensive these days.

People are complaining because we're basically in the same position we were at this time pre-election as far as how the numbers played out for seats. I mean, really, how else are we to know where the people stand unless this happened. If the tables had been turned and lets say O'Toole had won a minority govt, would people still be complaining? Probably, because when it comes to politics, people love to complain.

I dont expect to see another majority leadership victory anytime soon no matter how many elections are called. O'Toole might be replaced because clearly he doesn't have what it takes to remove Trudeau from power, just like his predecessors couldn't. Even if Trudeau has a minority, the Liberals are still in power as far as being Prime Minister is concerned. The Liberal party won't replace him. I dont foresee Singh ever really getting close to even being the opposition let alone PM.

Get used to this minority game I'd say.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

Yes, it was likely the same cost as an normal election maybe slightly higher when taking in COVID precautions and such.

I think the reason the cost is being addresses is because the election was called 2 years before it had to be called.

On the normal election schedule it was not required until 2023 I think.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Yes, it was likely the same cost as an normal election maybe slightly higher when taking in COVID precautions and such.

I think the reason the cost is being addresses is because the election was called 2 years before it had to be called.

I just looked up a bit of info on it. The $610mill is a prediction, and the most expensive election till this one was $100mill less (502mill in 2019).

Some factors:
    - pandemic, so added safety figures. This was estimated at an additional $52mill cost.
    - Inflation
    - Higher population
    - Length of election. At 78 days, it's the longest election running ever. (2019 was 40days
    - Rent for Buildings for people running in their areas
    - Supplies. They said roughly 40mill ballots will be printed, costing $6.8mill alone in supplies for just the ballots. Then computers and what not on top of that.
    - Utilities. Utils like wifi, CanadaPost all cost more.

Total cost in 2019/ballot was $18.35 (estimated). Should be interesting what the cost/ballot is this yr once every vote is in.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

I guess my surprise is the amount of votes the ppc party received in my riding . if those votes went to the cpc charlie angus might have been defeated .

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

In a minority election situation like Canada had, an election could really be called at any time depending on the confidence of the house in Trudeau. I dont know if a minority government has ever really run a full term that would be the same as a majority government normally goes between election dates. Every minority government needs help to hold power and if that ever lacks, and election can come at any point in time really.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    In a minority election situation like Canada had, an election could really be called at any time depending on the confidence of the house in Trudeau. I dont know if a minority government has ever really run a full term that would be the same as a majority government normally goes between election dates. Every minority government needs help to hold power and if that ever lacks, and election can come at any point in time really.
    Yes, that is a vote of non-confidence, which is different from voluntarily choosing to hold an election 18 months after the previous one. This election was not called by the house based on lack of confidence in Trudeau, this is an election called by Trudeau because he foolishly thought he had a chance to win a majority, and those are very very different things.

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Until the seat numbers is changed east vs west then really nothing will change. Us out here in the west are basically stuck with whoever you all out in the east vote in.

I’m pretty sure it’s no shocker that we needed up almost exactly where we were when the writ was dropped.
    The conservative party is sitting at 33.8% of the vote and the liberal party is sitting at 32.3% of the vote.

The conservative party is projected to have 119 seats while the liberal party is project to have 158 seats.

The NDP is sitting at 17.7% of the vote and the bloc is sitting at 7.8% of the vote.

The NDP is projected to have 25 seats while the bloc is projected to have 34 seats.

Why yes, I do think our electoral system is fair and sensible.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Is is not Trudeau's job to try and win a majority? Is that not what every party is trying to do?

Calling early elections are nothing new in Canada. The average time between elections with minority governments is about 2 years.

The last Canadian election was on October 21, 2019. Basically two years ago.

Meh. Nothing to see here. Politics as usual.

The Liberals made a strategic decision. It could be construed as a slight win for them. Closer to a wash. Meh.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Is is not Trudeau's job to try and win a majority? Is that not what every party is trying to do?
    "Trying to get re-elected" is only the job description of politicians in failed states.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    "Trying to get re-elected" is only the job description of politicians in failed states.
    Hyperbole

I get it, you are unhappy with the result. The direction the people of Canada want the country to go was put to the ballot box on Monday. They made their choice.

Moving on....
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen