Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2021/22 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: 2021/22 Rocky Horror Roto Show

LOTR and Temek are going to be sick of each other by the time the season starts.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    It's draft day!
    I am pumped it is on a Friday night!!

To bad it wasn't the 13th!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I am pumped it is on a Friday night!!

To bad it wasn't the 13th!
    For sure, but we can pretend!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by duntroon68 View Post
    LOTR and Temek are going to be sick of each other by the time the season starts.
    LOL - about the same every year.
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

The Wolverine

Draft results added to the first two posts.

Dobber Sports Icon

Draft Recap -

I didn't get to do near enough prep for this draft and I wasn't exactly in the best headspace going into it after a rough week. But it was a lot of fun as always and you guys were super well prepared.

Sid Game

1. (9) Alex Ovechkin (Was - LW)
    I had thought that Panarin would go before my pick and allow one of Pastrnak/Marchand to fall to me. That didn't happen so I'll go with old faithful Ovie on his quest to catch Gretzky.

2. (16) Sidney Crosby (Pit - C)
    To the surprise of no one, Maa took two goalies on the turn with Hellebuyck and Kuemper. I thought long and hard about taking Brady Tkachuk here but true centers are hard to find and Sid should be back early. I also couldn't pass up the opportunity to own Sid and Ovie on the same team.

3. (33) Brayden Point (TB - C,RW)
    I watched some names I didn't expect to fall to the third round slide down like Rantanen/Aho/Point. The first two went but I'm really happy to get Point at this point in the draft. With Kucherov back healthy, he could provide great value here.

I have to admit that I felt Maa taking Seguin with the last pick in this round was a bit of a reach, but apparently he wasn't the only one considering taking him there. So maybe it ends up panning out for him.

4. (40) Igor Shesterkin (NYR - G)
    I had Shesterkin at the tail end of Tier 2 goalies. I figured we would see a goalie run coming up soon and would rather be the one to start it than the one to finish it. I also thought I could handcuff him with Georgiev late in the draft, not that it's super necessary. But I always like to have at least one tandem in roto leagues to ensure 82 starts. Spoiler alert... temek would screw my plans up on that one.

Strongly considered going with Guentzel here as I've had a team name in mind for him for three seasons. Oh well, maybe next year.

5. (57) Marc-Andre Fleury (Chi - G)
    Queue got decimated ahead of this pick, M Tkachuk, Hamilton, Guentzel, Scheifle, Wilson, Lindholm, Anderson all went. But I'm high on Chicago this year so I'm happy to snag Fleury here. They have a healthy Toews back and I like their offseason moves. The reigning Vezina winner should provide great value at this point.

6. (64) Morgan Rielly (Tor - D)
    At this point I'm starting to worry that I don't have a #1 D as my minimal research had me thinking D was going to be shallow and I didn't want to get stuck later. Rielly should be solid, but as the draft went on I realized I could have filled my D with better value later. Could have snagged someone like Couturier, Marchesssault or Trocheck here.

7. (81) Roope Hintz (Dal - C,LW)
    I only snagged Hintz at this point because I knew PenguinHunter would get him if I didn't and I think he could be in for a great year.

8. (88) Thatcher Demko (Van - G)
    Trying to stay ahead of the goalie game here. Demko should be a true number 1 on a Vancouver team that was better than their record showed last year. Also should have a lot of saves and good SV%. Plus I can draft Halak late to handcuff the Canucks goalies if I want to. Spoiler alert: Chili Con Carne would ruin that plan.

9. (105) Jacob Trouba (NYR - D)
    Watching my queue empty again before this pick, Hertl, Doughty, Pavelski, Chychrun, Martinez, Hyman... I remembered just how on the ball these guys are. Trouba should provide great banger production and decent offensive numbers.

10. (112) Torey Krug (StL - D)
    Krug gives me another offensive minded D-man with a lot of great grit guys still on the board. I was confident I could fill out my D later so happy to take Krug here. Stronly considered taking Teuvo Teravainen or Tarasenko here but wanted to make sure I had the D and thought one of those guys may fall.

11. (129) Vladimir Tarasenko (StL - RW)
    Teravainen went two picks after I took Krug, so I was getting worried. But Tank should provide amazing value for Round 11 even if he doesn't get back to previous levels of success. Round 11 provided a ton of value for a lot of GMs with guys like Forsberg/E Kane/Backstrom/Malkin going here for various reasons.

12. (136) Evgeny Kuznetsov (Was - C)
    Torn between Kuznetsov and Boeser here. This is another pick I feel could be great value. He is motivated after last season. If he struggles early, I could see Washington finding a trade partner too. Boeser went to horrorfan with the next pick. That's alright, I'm super excited to make my "reach pick" in the next round.

13. (153) John Klingberg (Dal - D)
    Reach pick didn't work out as temek took DeAngelo well before I was up. That's okay, I'll add Buchnevich and Meier to my queue.... nope gone. At this point I flip a coin between the two Dallas Dmen in Heiskanen and Klingberg. Kling is in a contract year and has been a staple of my fantasy teams for years.

14. (160) MacKenzie Blackwood (NJ - G)
    I've got three Devils in queue at this point, Blackwood, Hughes and Hischier. And they would go with 3 of the next 4 picks. I went Blackwood here because getting a number 1 goalie at this point who should put up solid ratios is huge value. NJ could surprise if Hamilton gels and Hughes takes the next step. horrorfan once again takes the guy I was debating on with the next pick and selects Hughes. Once again I start looking forward to "reaching" for a player with my next pick.

15. (177) Pierre-Luc Dubois (Wpg - C)
    Sure enough, Dvorak gets picked by LOTR. Alright, could a bounceback happen for Dubois this year? I've got a ton of C eligible players but not a lot of true Cs so I'm happy with this pick. If anything, his floor should be around this level and his ceiling should be well above it.

16. (184) Brendan Gallagher (Mon - RW)
    I'm not sure how Gallagher was still available. Maybe it's because Montreal is so crowded up front. But I'm happy to snag him here.

17. (201) Jean-Gabriel Pageau (NYI - C)
    An unsexy pick but he is a staple on my teams and provides solid draft value and stuffs cats across the board.

18. (208) Vince Dunn (Sea - D)
    Dunn should be given a chance to thrive in Seattle.

19. (225) Kevin Lankinen (Chi - G)
    I scroll through and add a bunch more players to my queue, maybe I need to stop doing that because it's disappointing to watch it empty again. Morrissey, Stephenson, Halak, Georgiev, Tolvanen... alright, I guess I better handcuff one of my goalies. Lankinen showed flashes of talent last year so hopefully he does okay in relief of Mr Flower.

20. (232) Denis Gurianov (Dal - LW,RW)
    Wings are looking a little bare and Gurianov should provide decent production across the board.

21. (249) James van Riemsdyk (Phi - LW)
    JVR may be aging but he should still be playing a big role in Philly especially with Voracek heading to Columbus.

22. (256) Brandon Tanev (Sea - LW,RW)
    Tanev should be a hits machine in Seattle, not sure if he will provide much else, but at this point in the draft it's time to swing for the fences with a few picks. Tanev could end up being quite productive on the expansion team.

23. (273) Noah Dobson (NYI - D)
    I've had Dobson in my queue for forever, he's a personal favorite and with Leddy gone from the island, could be in for a bigger role.

24. (280) K'Andre Miller (NYR - D)
    Buried down the yahoo rankings, Miller is a gritty stat stuffer. And if there's any injuries on the Ranger blue line, he could provide even more production.

25. (297) Jonathan Drouin (Mon - C,LW)
    Drouin/Dvorak/Anderson seriously clicked in the Habs first preseason game. And by all accounts, Drouin is in a much better headspace coming into the season. Low risk pick in the last round.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Stud

Most importantly - was able to name my team "Here's Johnny!" (one of my all time fave horror movie references) thanks to Gaudreau landing on my squad.

YL's Draft Grade: B-

Strategy: I chose the 6th OA pick for the sheer challenge, as I saw a clear top 5 (who went top 5) and then a group of about 10-12 guys who all could go next depending on a GM's strategy for that season. I played out a few different strategies in my head prior to the draft (like taking B.Tkachuk with that pick) but in the end, I couldn't find a really clever way to use this pick with this group of GM's being so strong.
    In general though, I wanted stud C's (who win FOs), a few top D and then focus on value goalies later in the draft (Khudobin, Raanta, Bobrovsky)

1. (6) A.Vasilevskiy
    I won't get true value from picking him here and even expect a slight regression... but this lets me focus on skaters until later which was my plan

2. (19) B.Tkachuk
    I actually wanted Sid here but 4T2 snagged him a couple of picks before. If he doesn't sign obviously I'm screwed, but if he does (and I expect him to), his SOG, Hit & PIM give me breathing room to try and draft some marshmallow scorers later in the draft (which happened)

3. (30) V.Hedman
    Rantanen got sniped the pick before me (who is amazing value in the 3rd round) but at least it let me stay on strategy by taking a top D here. All around stat-stuffer who might even get a PP boost with Kucherov back.

4. (43) D.Hamilton
    I really wanted a top C here but my tiers got decimated between picks and felt like I'd get better value out of Hammer here than reaching for C I had ranked lower. Also hoping that EP40 could drop to my next pick since he sucks at FOs.

5. (54) E.Pettersson
    A faller in RHRS the last 2 years, but I think he's a bit underrated going into this season as I expect VAN to be better and him to bounce back. Despite the crappy FOW, if he can score 30g and PPG (which he's fully capable of imo) then he'll be solid value here. Just need to ensure I grab some FOW guys as we go along.

6. (67) J.Binnington
    First major shift due to the way the board is unfolding. I expected G's to be drained much earlier (as usually happens in RHRS) but perhaps dropping down to 12 teams and with SEA entering guys new there'd be Gs available later. I don't love Binny but think STL is much improved and he's one of a few workhorses out there. If there was another C I had ranked higher I would have gone that route - but it's too early for my next tier of C's and I see a number of Dmen I'd like still available that hopefully will fall to my next pick

7. (78) Q.Hughes
    I expected to grab a C here actually but am starting to accept that a high-FOW C (or W for that matter) just isn't going to be available without reaching into a later tier. Hughes' peripherals are brutal but tough to find his scoring upside in a Dman in round 7 so I'm good with that.

8. (91) M.Barzal
    And there it is. I've fully accepted that I'll suck in FOW this year but hopefully by adding more scoring I'll be really competitive across those cats.

9. (102) J.Gaudreau
    Was more than pleased to get Johnny outside the top 100 as I think he's being a bit undervalued (albeit there is still some risk) and this is 'trade-off' I was hoping to be able to execute by taking B.Tkachuk early.

10. (115) T.Teravainen
    A fave of mine who I think is often undervalued but especially after missing so much of last year. The strategy continues.

11. (126) J.Eriksson Ek
    Bit of a reach here as I had D.Larkin queued up who went the pick before me. I'm really big on JEE this year and with C going like wildfire, I decided I didn't want to miss drafting him. Would have loved him a round or 2 later but think he'll give solid value back at this slot - especially if he keeps that 1C gig with Kap/Zucc he started camp with.

12. (139) N.Kadri
    This was a bit of a mistake here. Not because I don't think Kads is a solid pick, but because between this pick and my next, I missed out on about 5 other guys I had targeted. Admittedly wasn't paying attention to other teams' rosters at this point and should have left Kads to the next round while grabbing a higher-ranked D or W.

13. (150) T.Meier
    I'm still holding out hope that he reverts back to his multi-cat beast form from a couple of years ago. If he does, he'll blow this draft position out of the water. Plus, I'm really needing a bit more jam on my squad after focusing on scoring so much at the expense of peripherals.

14. (163) L.Brossoit
    Earlier than I expected to pick a true backup, but all of my 'value' goalies have now been picked and I was adamant that I was leaving the first 16 rounds with a 9F, 4D, 3G balance. Looking down the remaining goalie list - I had to pull the trigger now. Even if he gets me 30games he should return solid Ws and rates playing with VGK in the pacific.

15. (174) E.Karlsson
    Looking for that 4th D and while I had a few here I was eyeing, it really felt like I couldn't go wrong swinging on a bounceback from EK here.

16. (187) A.Mantha
    Wanting that 9th F to stay true to the plan and ideally someone with a bit of jam and decent scoring. Monster Mantha fits the bill and could even surprise if he keeps that L1 role with Ovie/Kuz... especially if Backstrom is out longer than anticipated. To make matters worse on the G-front, PH grabbed Moose on me (nixing my 82gp from Tampa) but seems that's fair since he has Lehner and I scooped L.Brossoit on him!

17. (198) J.Spurgeon
    Another fave of mine that I think is a bit underrated due to his brutal start last year. Chalking up those early struggles to the new 'captaincy' and I think he'll bring solid BLKs, PPs and Gs/SOGs for a 17th round pick.

18. (211) C.Verhaeghe
    Had a different guy all set to go and decided to just double-check my list in case I missed someone. CV was a guy I wanted and I really think he can outperform this draft slot on a killer FLA team and L1 (Barky, Rhino) this year.

19. (222) E.Tolvanen
    Typically after the first 16 rounds or so I'm comfortable that most of these guys will likely be replaced through the wire over the course of the season, so I start to take a few more big swings in the hopes of connecting on one or two of them early in the year. ET fits the bill with the potential of big SOG, G, PP and decent HIT totals.

20. (235) V.Husso
    I've got my 2 'sleepers' all queued to go when I realize I never grabbed that 4th goalie (due to the ones I wanted being gone). As mentioned I think STL will be good this year and I can't imagine V.Husso could be any worse... and this hopefully gets me 82gp from Bin/Husso, 55+ from Vas and 30ish from Brossoit. (Although most likely I'll grab a waiver wire spot start here and there over the course of the year too). Happy enough with my Gs.

21. (246) T.Johnson
    First of my 2 sleepers as I think he could put up rosterable numbers if he keeps that C1 gig with P.Kane/ADB. Thought his FOW from the W would be a bonus too back when I first thought I'd be drafting FOW-heavy C's lol.

22. (259) D.Jaskin
    Second of the sleeper picks. I've grabbed him in most of the leagues I play in after watching his ascension in the K the past couple of years. True boom/bust but if he translates, he brings G, SOG and suprisingly solid HITs to the table. A worthy sleeper gamble at this stage.

23. (270) J.Slavin
    Ok need to fill out my squad with some late D. I typically expect to swap out my 5/6 D over the course of the season to boost certain cats so I'm not overly attached to guys at this stage. That said, Slavin could make for a tough cut if he winds up playing PP2 in additional to his big minutes in CAR.

24. (283) J.Vrana
    I would not have grabbed an IR-guy if we only had 2 IR slots - but we voted to move to 3 this year so I'm okay making 1 stash. Worse case I need that slot and drop Vrana. Best case, I hold him and once he gets back, and my Wings are out of the race, he goes off like he did post-trade last year.

25. (294) E.Johnson
    Have a couple of sleeper Dmen I expect to rotate in/out this year and EJ is one of them. Not expecting many points but I'll take his hopefully solid +/-, stout peripherals (assume he'll be leaned on heavily on the PK this year) and some bonus secondary assists as COL puts up 4+ goals every game.

FINAL ROSTER
    C: EP40, M.Barzal, JEE, Kadri
    L: B.Tkachuk, Teravainen, C.Verhaeghe, E.Tolvanen, J.Vrana (ir)
    R: J.Gaudreau, T.Meier, A.Mantha, T.Johnson, D.Jaskin
    D: Hedman, Hamilton, Q.Hughes, E.Karlsson, J.Spurgeon, J.Slavin, E.Johnson
    G: Vasilevskiy, Binnington, L.Brossoit, V.Husso

TL;DR
    Especially happy with how I kept fairly true to my strategy despite the typical curveballs of an RHRS draft.
    Carrying a LOT of risk (too much actually) in terms of banking on bouncebacks... but feel like if I'm able to manage as actively as I typically do I'll be able to make the necessary in-season/cat adjustments to remain a PITA this season.
    Still - BY FAR - my FAVOURITE league and toughest draft every. single. time. Good luck lads!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Ninja

Another year, another interesting RHRS draft. I didn’t do as much research as I wanted and the only draft stragedy (my favourite made up word, one part strategy, one part tragedy) I could come up with drafting from the first overall slot, was to take McDavid and then follow up with the best two goalies with my second and third round picks. I also wanted to keep Face-Off Wins in mind, unlike previous years. Really don’t want a repeat of last season’s horrific 12th place finish.

To make it more of a challenge, I started pre-drinking an hour before the draft. Unfortunately, it had been a while since I had my last beer and I was thirsty.

Round 1 (first overall) – C-Connor McDavid EDM

Never owned him before and just couldn’t pass on him.

Rounds 2 & 3 (24 & 25) – D-John Carlson WSH & RW-Mitch Marner TOR

Draft stragedy didn’t even make it to the second round. I was hoping one or two of the previous five goalies taken was available with my pick or by some miracle, Brady Tkachuk. Wasn’t sure what goalies would be left after another 24 picks. Decided to wait for another round before looking at taking a goalie. Went with the top defenseman on my list and another player I’ve never owned before, Marner.

Rounds 4 & 5 (48 & 49) – G-Linus Ullmark BOS & RW-Tom Wilson WSH

Was really hoping Scheifele would fall to me here. Considered Varlamov, but he’s in a time share situation, so I went with the new number one on what should still be a decent Boston squad. In between suspensions, Wilson will give me tons of a dwindling category, penalty minutes and hits. Can’t wait for the next Caps-Rangers game. Boom.

Rounds 6 & 7 (72 & 73) – G-Ilya Sorokin NYI & G-Jack Campbell TOR

Wanted to solidify my goaltending spots and even though Sorokin is in a time share, he is the future (he says hoping the future is now). Campbell is still on a decent Leafs team and had ridiculous numbers last season.

Rounds 8 & 9 (96 & 97) – D-Jakob Chychrun ARZ & LW/RW-David Perron STL

The defence ranks were thinning rapidly over the last few rounds and I only had Carlson, here’s hoping Chychrun can sustain his breakout season. Not thrilled with the Perron pick. I was overly influenced by his more than point-per-game campaign last year.

Rounds 10 & 11 (120 & 121) – D-Mackenzie Weegar FLA & G-Mike Smith EDM

I’ll be the first to admit, I don’t trust Weegar to repeat, but I was seduced by his points, plus/minus (plus-29!) and hits. Even his 45 penalty minutes in 54 games is nothing to sneeze at. I realize many don’t have faith in Mike Smith, but as of today, he’s the number one goalie on what should be a very good team in a bad division.

Rounds 12 & 13 (144 & 145) – C/RW-Martin Necas CAR & LW/RW-Dominik Kubalik CHI

What a solid round of picks, I cannot find fault with any of them. I did pick last in the round and I do think it may be the worst pick of the round. I was swayed by his sweet plus/minus. Kubalik should be improved with the return of Toews.

Rounds 14 & 15 (168 & 169) – C/RW-T.J. Oshie WSH & D-Devon Toews COL

Oshie will contribute a little in FOW, hits and of course goals and assists. Was hoping Heiskanen or Muzzin made it to my pick, but had to settle for Toews and that sweet plus/minus.

Rounds 16 & 17 (192 & 193) – LW/RW-Conor Garland VAN & D-Samuel Girard COL

This is the point in the draft where the beer was making things harder to concentrate. Really wanted Konecny to fall to me, but he was taken two picks earlier. Garland will only give me points, so meh. Probably could have used some FOW. Girard was my highest ranked blueliner remaining.

Rounds 18 & 19 (216 & 217) – C-Kirby Dach CHI & C/LW-Chandler Stephenson VGK

Finally think that the face-off wins broke through the beer fog and took the highest two centers who might actually get some FOW’s. Stephenson will also contribute in the plus/minus department.

Rounds 20 & 21 (240 & 241) – LW-Anthony Beauvillier NYI & LW/RW-Andrew Mangiapane CGY

I am absolutely in love with Beauvillier’s potential. Could not pass up taking him. Mangy Pane just keeps getting better. His 11 points in seven World Championship games only feeds his confidence.

Rounds 22 & 23 (264 & 265) – C/RW-Jack Roslovic CBJ & LW/RW-Victor Olofsson BUF

Still blaming the beer for much of these later round picks. Took the highest rated center and winger on my list. Roslovic should win some face-offs and could be on the rise. Olofsson is going to net some points, but both of these guys might negate some of those plus/minus gains from previous picks.

Rounds 24 & 25 (288 & 289) – C/LW-Pavel Zacha NJ & D-Damon Severson NJ

I saw the face-off wins and points potential and somehow managed to figure out how to hit the select button for Zacha in Yahoo. I’m just glad I was able to figure out that I only had five defensemen and needed to draft one more.

C-McDavid, Necas (RW), Dach, Roslovic (RW), Zacha (LW)
    LW-Perron (RW), Kubalik (RW), Garland (RW), Stephenson (C), Beauvillier
    RW-Marner, T.Wilson, Oshie (C), Mangiapane (LW), Olofsson (LW)
    D-Carlson, Chychrun, Weegar, D.Toews, Girard, Severson
    G-Ullmark, Sorokin, J.Campbell, M.Smith

Overall, I’m okay with my team. I might be lacking in face-off wins and hits, but time will tell. Good luck to all, see you at the finish line!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Wolverine

Drafting 8th can be a challenging position as there are so many ways you can start building the team. I wanted to at least have an idea on options for this and the 17th pick to hopefully give myself a solid core to start.

1.8. David Pastrnak
    The top 6 went as planned (slightly different order than expected) so I figured I would have a choice between Marchand and Pastrnak. Marchand went at 7 so I stuck to my plan and picked a high SOG/G player that will hopefully come close to peak production.

2.17. Aleksander Barkov
    Knowing that I was going to choose a winger in the first, I wanted a strong C in the second. Top end, high scoring, FOW-strong C and rare and valuable, so very happy to land Barkov as I was worried he'd go a bit earlier.

3.32. Sebastian Aho
    I purposely didn't have a fixed plan after the first two rounds because that could force me to reach for someone and miss out on better options. Even though I had a C already, I'm surprised Aho slipped as I thought he could've gone in the second round. Not as strong FOW but high end offense with hopefully room to grow.

4.41. Matthew Tkachuk
    There were still some good offensive players available but I didn't want to fall too far behind in grit so decided on Tkachuk to help give me more balance across the board. My offense was strong enough so far to make this a worthwhile choice at this stage. Hopefully the Flames will improve overall to help his numbers.

5.56. Frederik Andersen
    Coming up to this pick I knew I had to consider getting my first goalie and he was (hopefully) the best option available. Given last season, there's always a risk of injury so need to keep Raanta in mind for the middle rounds.

6.65. Seth Jones
    The top D are gone but knew the next group would be targeted soon. Hopefully, Jones will gel well enough with his new team to lead them on the back end and produce strong numbers. His peripherals are usually strong as well, especially with blocks, so happy with him as my first D.

After 6 rounds, I have 2 centres, 2 wingers, 1 defenseman and a goalie. Happy with my core so far. My focus was to just take what comes and try not to get too weak in any particular area.

7.80. Jeff Petry
    Getting D that are the team's main PP option is important in the earlier rounds, and Petry is now in that position without Weber. With his solid peripherals, I'm happy with him as my D2.

8.89. Bo Horvat
    Although I had 2 centres already and only 1 of each wing, I knew that Horvat would be gone by my next pick. Centres who produce solid offensive numbers and strong FOW are in short supply.

9.104. Petr Mrazek
    With many of the workhorse goalies gone I needed to act to secure at least someone in a timeshare who could start at least 50% of the games, and being on a good team made me choose Mrazek. We'll see how the starts go with Campbell. As mentioned above, since I have Andersen, and given my G2 is in a timeshare, I shouldn't wait too long before grabbing Raanta.

10.113. Ryan Pulock
    May be a slight reach but he should have the opportunity to be the lead PP D so hopefully he can take advantage of it. With his strong peripherals, I don't need top offensive numbers but some solid PPP would be helpful.

11.128. Evander Kane
    Time to take a risk. If he's playing, then he should be more valuable than this position. He's currently shown as 'Out' in Yahoo so that allows me to stash him in one of the IR+ slots until his situation clears.

12.137. Brock Boeser
    Needed wingers and he has a chance to be a profitable pick if he can continue his progression. Though, I didn't know he was injured so hopefully it's a short-term thing.

13.152. Antti Raanta
    Right, time to get Andersen's handcuff to secure Carolina's starts. Well, given both their injury histories I hope it will secure Carolina's starts!

14.161. Jack Hughes
    Upside pick and some FOW from the wing. Seemed like a good time to grab Hughes and hope he can have a breakout in his 3rd season.

15.176. Zach Werenski
    Even though he doesn't have the strongest peripherals, I thought Werenski would be gone by now, especially with Jones in Chicago. Likely a weaker team this year so his +/- might not be great so hopefully his offense makes up for it.

16.185. Sean Monahan
    He's been poor the last two seasons but at this stage of the draft, I just need a modest bounceback to give me good value here. Also, there weren't too many pure centres left with his upside that I wanted so didn't want to be left with the scraps.

17.200. Jake Allen
    Time to grab another goalie and Allen was solid last season, which could ensure a decent number of starts behind Price.

18.209. Jeff Carter
    I'm not looking at other picks so can't remember who might have been available but figured it was worth taking a shot on Carter now given he should have a prime role to start the season. Maybe he can even continue when Crosby comes back. Plus his peripherals should be solid.

19.224. Kyle Palmieri
    Haven't paid attention to the Islanders' likely lineup but figure Palmieri should have a top 6 role with some PP time on a strong team. I'll take that in round 19.

20.233. Noah Hanifin
    Taking a shot on Hanifin to see if he can end up as one of the top PP options on D. Not very strong in peripherals but maybe he can improve.

21.248. Kaapo Kakko
    Chance to play on a top line with Panarin, or at least a top 6 role with PP time? Round 21? Yes please. Definitely a low risk, higher profit potential.

Didn't expect to get both Jack Hughes and Kakko so hopefully it's time for both to break out!

22.257. Nino Niederreiter
    Solidfying my wingers at this stage. If he can get consistent top 6 time this could be a valuable pick, especially with strong hits. If not, then not a big loss at this late stage of the draft.

23.272. Tuukka Rask
    Late round dart throw in case he comes back at some point and be a useful contributor.

24.281. Mario Ferraro
    My last two D (Werenski and Hanifin) aren't the strongest in peripherals so wanted my D6 to contribute there. Maybe can provide some modest offense numbers as well. Though his +/- might be rough.

25.296. Tyler Bertuzzi
    Not sure if it's the vaccination status or his lack of playing time last season for the reason he was still available (likely both). Regardless, for a last round pick, I'll happy take a potential top line player with some decent grit as at least a bench fill in but hope for more.

So, here's my team summary:

Pastrnormal Alektivity
    C: Barkov, Aho, Horvat, Monahan
    L: M. Tkachuk(R), E. Kane(R), J. Hughes(C), Palmieri(R), Niederreiter(L)
    R: Pastrnak, Boeser, Carter(C), Kakko, Bertuzzi(L)
    D: Jones, Petry, Pulock, Werenski, Hanifin, Ferraro
    G: Andersen, Mrazek, Raanta, Allen, Rask

Overall, I'm happy with my team with a mix of strong offense, balanced depth, upside options and some risk. Goaltending is not the strongest so hopefully it doesn't fall apart!

Dobber Sports Stud

My basic strategy going in was 1) focus on high end C with good FOW early as they are limited, 2) get a top tier winger who takes draws early (JT Miller or Landeskog as primary targets), 3) try to value draft goalies later on (thinking Hart, Demko, Bobbles in that order), and 4) leave D to later rounds and aim for guys in the 25-35 point range with good peripherals and some potential PP2 time. I decided not to worry about PIM. Also, planned to stay away from a handful of teams in hopes of not sabotaging my +/- (Detroit, Arizona, Buffalo, Anaheim, and outside of a few players also Columbus and Ottawa).

I also decided to just have fun with it and go with my gut if needed.

I was drafting third and figured I would take Matthews (more to come on this choice below) assuming McD and Drais would go first and second overall.

1.3. Matthews – If I was going to get an elite C I figured I needed to pick one here as most would be gone by my next pick at #22. As suspected McD and Drais were gone. MacKinnon is definitely an option here, but his low FOW totals really turned me off as it would put me in a hole early. Matthews’ wrist is obviously a concern, but I was willing to overlook it as I think he could go bananas this year if healthy. I also really like the way he hit and blocked shots last year and the increase in his FOW. I will also admit that I am a Leafs fan and look forward to watching Matthews with my son.

2.22 JT Miller – FOW from the wing, lots of hits and good offensive production. Landeskog was still available, but I like Miller a wee bit more. If Barkov or Zibs were still on the board I may have gone with one of them and hoped for Miller or Landeskog to last another six picks, but they both went earlier in this round.

3.27 Landeskog – the opportunity to get another mulit-cat winger who takes FOW from the wing was too tempting to pass up. I realize that I will need to focus on high end C for the next couple of rounds (if the value is there), otherwise the benefit of Miller and Landeskog is compromised.

4.46 Scheifle – very happy/surprised to see him still on the board. He complements the guys I have so far beautifully and puts me in a great spot for FOW.

5.51 O’Reilly – I was thinking maybe a winger here but could not pass up 1,000+ FOWs from a PP1 C. All of my targeted goalies were still on the board so thinking I could still grab one or two of them in the next few rounds.

6.70. Couturier – I really did not think I would take another C here (I was thinking guys like J. Staal or Kadri to round things out on C later) but hard to pass him up. I think Philly has a good year and with this pick I can forget about C/FOW and work on the rest of my team. At this point I have four C and two LW who take draws. I also have some decent peripherals to go with some solid offensive upside.

7.75. Hart – as happy as I am with my team so far, I am anxious about goalies. I figure I cannot let this slide another round. All of Hart, Demko and Bobbles are still there so I go with my preference in Hart. As per above, I think Philly has a good year and I see a bounce back for Hart. I like the value of this pick.

8.94 Bobrovsky – Demko was taken earlier in the round so I decided it was time to grab Bobbles. Note to self – grab Spencer Knight (spoiler, I do not get Spencer Knight).

9.99 Reinhart – I feel like I need another winger here (still punting D to later rounds and see lots of D options on the board so no need to panic) and grab Reinhart. Heard he has been getting a look on PP1 which would be great value here. He is also top-6 on a strong Florida team. I don’t know if he will get any FOW with FLA but that is not really a concern, anything he gets is pure gravy.

10.118 Jason Robertson – I am honestly not too sure about this pick but want to keep filling out my wings. Dobber Guide is high on him and has him on PP1 so figure this is decent value. Not much sandpaper with Robertson or Reinhart but I have some good grit early on and plan on getting hits with my D later on.

11.123. Toffoli – at this point thinking wingers with PP1 potential. I might be overvaluing Toffoli but was a bit surprised to see him here. If he keeps hitting this year, I am very happy with this pick. Although less happy when Knight gets taken seven picks later.

12.142 Swayman – Knight being taken caused me to panic a bit, so I decided to get a back-up G with the potential to steal some starts. I am not very high on Boston this year as losing Krejci and Chara is going to hurt, but with Ullmark’s injury history I think Swayman could be good, and I don’t think Boston will completely bottom out by any stretch. Not getting Knight is my biggest regret of the draft.

13.147 Buchnevich – I still see lots of D that fit my strategy so figure I can push off another round and really like Buchnevich’s potential offensive upside and his grit (nice fit for my team). Dobber Guide suggests he may work his way on to PP1 which would be gravy.

14.166 Muzzin – Time for a D and he fits my plan. Obviously having Muzzin as a #1 D isn’t great but that is the trade off for getting my high-end C earlier on and I can live with that.

15.171 Giordano – more or less fits my plan and if he can get that top PP1 time then I am pretty happy.

16.19 Konecny – a bit surprised to see Knoecny and JVR on the board but realize that neither is a lock for PP1, especially with Atkinson in town. I like Konecny a lot more than JVR and think he has good offensive upside this year so pull the trigger. If he gets PP1 this could end up being a really good pick.

17.195 Parayko – fits my D plan, hoping he gets PP2.

18.214 Morrisey – more of the type of D I was looking for. Also, hoping for PP2 here.

19.219 Halak – I need another decent back up and think Van will be much improved this year. This was pick of necessity more than anything.

20.238 Graves – not likely to get PP2 but still pegged for 31 points in the Dobber Guide, plus he brings the grit. Pretty happy with this pick.

21.243 Killorn – rounding out my wing, nice grit for a top six on a great team and hopefully some PP2 time. I can live with this.

22.262 Grzelcyk – gamble pick, hoping he can take over the PP1 slot. If not, he is pretty useless as he brings little in the peripheral categories.

23.267 Copp – bit of a scramble from here on out in as I have not done near enough prep to get value this late in the draft. Pretty good stats last year across the board and may bring some bonus FOW from the wing. Dobber Guide has him on the second line and second PP although a lot can change. If it doesn’t work out, he is destined for the wire.

24. Chiarot – meh. Really wish Chariots of Fire was a horror movie.

25. Reilly Smith – meh. Saw PP2 potential on a good team and good enough for my last pick. My last four picks are likely to be cycled throughout the year as I chase cats.

I really have no idea how this team will do. A lot rides on whether my goalie gambles pay off. I may also be light on PPP (a result of ignoring a handful of teams in favour of +/-). But think I have good offensive upside, stellar FOW and some nice grit.

Final team:
    C: Matthews, Scheifle, O’Reilly, Couturier
    LW: JT Miller(C), Landeskog(C), Robertson, Killorn(RW)
    RW: Toffoli(LW), Reinhart(C), Buchnevich, Konecny
    D: Muzzin, Giordano, Parayko, Morrisey, Graves, Grzelyck,
    G: Hart, Bobrovsky
    BN: Copp(LW/RW), Smith(RW), Chiarot(D), Swayman(G), Halak(G)

Such a fun draft with these guys, I say we go for the live chat next year! Quick play by play for me nothing too in depth but got a couple risky plays here that could really pay off!

Round 1 Marchand
    I figured it was Marchand or Kucherov (if a 2nd goalie went early). Love the B2B G from Maa that we all saw coming!

Round 2 Svechnikov
    Had plans for C in the future, bit of a light pick here maybe with Landy and Rantanen available.

Round 3 Tavares
    The Leafs are my eastern conference team and THIS has to be the year, right guys?

Round 4 Stamkos
    I don't see anyone else with as much potential upside as Stammer still available, I was seriously sweating leading up to this pick, my top 4 are monsters I think.

Round 5 Jarry
    I almost took Binnington again but figured I could also get DeSmith later on and you can never count out PIT, they'll make the semi-finals you heard it here first.

Round 6 Toews
    Favourite player and team, this is a total homer/heart pick but give me the bounce back and FOW!

Round 7 Price
    Sorokin, Hart and Price in the queue, leftovers for me this guy is getting old am I right?

Round 8 Hertl
    There is no way Hertl isn't in everyone's queue at this point although the next 6 picks took about 0.1 seconds to make so maybe not!

Round 9 Ristolainen
    RR was a bit of a bust for me last year but PHI > BUF and I'm surprised he was still available as a potential bounce back.

Round 10 Sergachev
    Need some D, thought about Weegar and there aren't many options out there at this point.

Round 11 Staal
    Feeling good about the C I have rostered, some good options around here I think Malkin was an awesome pick too in this round.

Round 12 Lee
    NYI is going to be good!

Round 13 Eichel
    Had to take the risk at this point, honestly have no idea what has been going on but he should play SOMEWHERE.

Round 15 Heiskanan
    Crappy pick with Klingberg being the DAL monster but I don't want to leave D too late.

Round 16 Caufield
    Big risk here, loved watching last years playoffs, this kid is good!

Round 17 Nelson
    Give me another NYI Forward, almost took JPG but looking good in the C department.

Round 18 Jenner
    Multi position here, feels like good value.

Round 19 Ekholm - Adding to the D corps here

Round 20 Zuccarello - FIRST LINE WITH KIRILL!

Rounds 21-25 Korpisalo / Goligoski / Cernak / Jones / Savard

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The RHRS - the annual roto extravaganza where your fantasy dreams are crushed and hope slowly bleeds out. Enter at your own risk!

I LOVE the write-ups/analysis both here and the Yahoo league page. Indeed, this is the master class for drafting a roto team. I've experienced both the highs and lows in this league and I've been looking forward to a full NHL season from a fantasy perspective. For an approximately 2.5 hour draft, time flew by.

Going into this year's draft, I had a broad plan of what I wanted / not wanted to do based on prior lessons learned. One, I wanted to get a couple of centers early, which is a personal bias for me to overcome as this is the only league I play in that counts FOW. I tend to fade centers which is a big no-no in the Show. My second tactic was to fade goalies as long as I dare - getting goalie draft value outside of a few stalwarts is a dice roll anymore IMO. Finally - I made an effort not to punt on any round - between picks, I loaded queues of F/D/G so I had 2 or 3 guys lined up in each queue for my next pick. I always had someone waiting for me and I never needed to scramble to 'find' someone at the last second. This also allows me to 'zig' when everyone is 'zagging', as well as a warning alarm for me when I see someone in one of queues taken (for example I'll have 3 quality back-ups queued up - once one is taken I know I need to act on one of the remaining back-ups). How did my draft play out? I'm feeling good - I feel I got value across the board and only made one 'reach' (see below).

I drafted 4th - I basically knew I would get either MacKinnon or Matthews which was fine as either played into my strategy of getting 2 centers early.

Round 1: MacKinnon - not surprised Matthews went before at 3rd - I would have made the same play given his goal production and somewhat better peripherals. I happy with getting a top 3 fantasy asset as it really gives me a nice floor to build upon.
    Round 2: Zibanejad (I had 4 centers in my queue and he was the better of the 2 remaining when the draft snaked back to me).
    Round 3: Nurse - again, the best D in my queue remaining. May flirt with 50 points while providing outstanding peripherals.
    Round 4: Guenztel (LW/RW) - always provides great value and eligible at either wing in Yahoo (fingers crossed on recent COVID news).
    Round 5: Markstrom (G) - my one reach. I had a few workhorse goalies I targeted and 2 had been previously taken. Also, Temek was drafting right after me this round, and I wasn't taking a chance the guy I wanted would be still be there. Markstrom provides me with a great floor of goalie starts, has no one on the team that will be a threat to a timeshare, and barring an injury, should have a rebound under the defensively minded Sutter.
    Round 6: Marchessault (C/LW) - an all-around roto contributor in our league's settings
    Round 7: Stone (RW) I remember zigging this round to grab Stone. He brings PPG value which is great for this round.
    Round 8: Doughty (D) - solid across the board coverage for my 2nd Dman (plus/minus will also be better on an improving Kings squad).
    Round 9: Petersen (G) - based on the goalies in my current tier beginning to get drafted, I was Petersen's time. Should see continued improvement with the Kings and they play in a weak division. Having 2 starting goalies, I will focus on when to take my next goalie - my plan is to grab 2 capable back-ups from decent teams that can run with the starting job should the incumbent get hurt or falter. Timing on when to take will be critical so I need to pay attention to the back up goalie still available.
    Round 10: B. Schenn C/RW) - another across the board road contributor with C-eligible flexibility. Solid value for round 10.
    Round 11: Forsberg (LW) - best forward on this team and great value at this round. Plus, could get traded to a contender later on.
    Round 12: W. Nylander (LW/RW) - took advantage of the opportunity to add a 60-70 point guy. He's a softy in terms of peripherals but I know my grit categories will balance this out by end of draft.
    Round 13: Francouz (G) - He's in my tier of goalies that is starting to get drafted so I pull the trigger. He's a top backup I targeted early. I don't believe that Kuemper has ever played more than 30 games and seems be injured often. Very high-reward potential pick.
    Round 14: Dvorak - big improvement in terms of change of scenery. He'll have a career season with the Habs and provide value FOWs for me.
    Round 15: Dumba - time to fill out my D-core with the next few picks. Dumba provides cross-category coverage and could sneak into a PP1 role. Even if not PP1, I like his value here.
    Round 16: Ellis - loads of talent, just stay off or IR! With 4 solid d-men for my floor, I can fill out my D-squad with bangers and darts.
    Round 17: J. McCann (C/LW) - I had him and Dvorak in the same tier so was very happy he was still hanging around this round. A solid start and I believe he holds the C1 role for the Kraken.
    Round 18: J. Anderson (RW) - provides grit and SOG. As long as he gets some PP time he'll fill categories for me.
    Round 19: Kahkonen (G) - time to take my final goalie from my back-up tier. Goalies are now set with Markstrom, Petersen, Francouz, and Kahkonen
    Round 20: Larsson (D) - he hits, he blocks shots (lots of 'em). He'll compliment nicely my next dart.
    Round 21 Yandle (D) - he's been playing with the Flyers 1st PP throughout the preseason. Really, the only reason the Flyers signed. I'm following the money and this late in the draft, I'm OK with the risk/reward. From here, roster is basically set, I'm just looking for upside guys
    Round 22: Ardvisson - a 30/30 guys who's dropped off the map. He gets to (hopefully play with Kopitar) so I'm expecting 25/25 (and hoping for 30/30)!
    Round 23: Sharangovich (LW/RW)- likely will skate with Hughes. Could be a breakout on an improving Devils team.
    Round 24: Wahlstrom (RW) - again, potential breakout who covers a lot of categories?
    Round 25: Drysdale (D) - 1PP in ANA? Calder finalist? Back in the minors? Who knows??? No risk/big reward pick.

My team (Elvira's Big Pumpkins)
    C: MacKinnon, Zibanejad, Dvorak, McCann
    LW: Guentzel, Forsberg, Marchessault, Arvidsson
    RW: Stone, Schenn, Nylander, Anderson
    D: Nurse, Doughty, Dumba, Ellis, Larsson, Yandle
    G: Markstrom, Petersen, Francouz, Kahkonen
    B: Sharangovich, Wahlstrom, Drysdale
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Round 1 - Patrick Kane – I got obsessed with the team name that I wanted to use. Probably should have picked someone else here but I guess I will focus on peripherals later. I debated about waiting for him in the second round and taking a goalie in the first round. There was three goalies that I considered with this pick, figured I would go with Kane for my team name and hope that.

Joy Ride was the movie we watched in class for Halloween and it is the movie that got into Thriller’s back in my high school days. I was watching it this summer and when they started using the CB Radio and said Candy Kane – that is when I decided I needed to try getting Patrick Kane (Or Evander) in the draft!

Round 2 – Robin Lehner - I couldn’t decide between Lehner, Hellebuyck and Kemper in round one. I knew It was a risk that none of them made it back to me… but I was lucky and Maaaa didn’t take all three goalies on the turn! I did not want to be chasing goalie starts this year. Even with one less manager I wanted to get some goalie starts and getting the goalie on this years Presidents Cup winner is a good start for me.

Round 3 – Max Pacioretty – My eyes were getting big that Rantanen might slip all the way to me in the third. I took him the night before this draft in the first round in Dobber Pro Campbell League. Couldn’t get that lucky…went with a player that shoots a lot and gets some hits. I also plan on stalking up my plus/minus early so I can take chances on Ottawa or Buffalo or Arizona players later in the draft.

Round 4 – Kirill Kaprizov – more SOGs… I need to start picking players that offer more than points and SOG, but I think Kaprizov is going to be top 15 in scoring in the NHL this year. With all the Panarin comparisons, I hope he finished up there.

Round 5 – Shea Theodore – I knew I needed a D-man within the first 5 rounds. I focused on SOG and points again here… and thinking he should have a solid plus/minus again. Maybe next round I will add some grit.

After 5 – 1 Goalie, 1 LW, 1RW, 1LWRW 1 D... So I am happy with this start. I have lots of flexibility going forward with this start. Now to add some grit right…. Wrong!

Round 6 – Kyle Connor - More points and SOG – I drafted in the Dobber Pro Campbell the night before… I must be stuck in that mode! Speaking of that draft – Giroux went in the 10th round… so I figured I could get him a round or two later (Especially with Pengwin7 no longer in our group) But I was wrong and upset that I missed on him here.

Round 7 – Neal Pionk – Trochek and Hintz were two players I was targeting to get off of the SOG and Points train and add some other stats. When Gabe took Hintz on me, I was bout ready to throw my empty bottle as far East as I could and try hitting him. With all the SOGs I have built up, I figured I could afford Pionk not shooting as much and get my D2 with decent peripherals and point production.

Round 8 – Alex Pietrangelo – I really was hoping for Provorov or Ekblad here. I thought they would be a nice pair with Pionk as my 2D/3D. However they both went right before me. So I went with Pietrangelo. I am happy with this pick… would be more happy if I didn’t have 3 Vegas players already.

Round 9 Phillip Grubauer – my plan all along was to go Bobrovsky in 9 and Knight right after the turn in 10. However Bob was already gone… so I decided to take a shot on Seattle being ½ as good as Vegas in year one and take their goalie.

Round 10 Jamie Benn – I thought long and hard about still taking Knight here for two reasons… 1) because he might still become the starter and 2) defensive drafting to ensure Scott didn’t get both Florida goalies. But I decide I had two goalies and didn’t want to invest another first 10 round pick on a goalie that might be the backup. So I went with Benn… sounds like he might be back playing Centre… hopefully he can increase his FOW total this year!

After 10 – 2 goalies, 3LW, 2RW 3D. I am happy with this split. Need to start finding some value in centres. Decide here that I am done drafting D for a long time and hope to get another goalie before the next check in… let’s see.

Round 11 – Spencer Knight – So I waited a round on Knight and he was still there… I figured I could take a chance and hopefully Bob sucks again. I maybe should have waited a round or two… but there wasn’t any centres that I was too excited about and we all know how goalie depth is crucial. Come on Knight… win the job!!

Round 12 – William Karlsson – Was debating between Karlsson and Norris here. I figured I would go with the safer option for providing FOW and playing on a plus team. As mentioned earlier I wanted solid plus minus early in draft to take chances on bottom feeder team players later.

Round 13 – Josh Norris – Bonus, he is still available, and a round later I feel much more comfortable taking a chance on him and hoping Ottawa takes a huuuuuge step forward this year!

Round 14 – Bryan Rust – I had been watching him for a couple rounds. And figured he would keep falling with the news of Crosby AND Malkin missing time. I love his coverage across the boards… and if he sucks with Crosby out… I bench him until Crosby is back.

Round 15 – Oliver Bjorkstrand – These are the types of players I was hoping to get late because of their potential horrible plus/minus. So hopefully he scores points like he did last year and that his plus/minus is offset by all my Vegas players (5 so far)

After 15 – 3 goalies, 4 LW, 3RW, 2C, 3D – I am not happy at this point that I only have 2 C and my LW slot is already full as there are some LW ahead that I know I like and want… Need to find some Centres big time now… starting to think that my FOW total is going to be league worst.

Round 16 – Brian Elliot – There have been a handful of backup goalies picked already… but not the backup goalie from one of the best teams, who have played the most hockey, after two Stanley cup runs. Elliot was decent with a horrible D-corps in front of him last year… what can he do in Tampa with a great team in front of him? I expect Vas to get rested more this year and Elliot to get 20 starts… against bottom feeder teams.

Round 17 – Joel Farabee - I know I said I needed centres… but I was watching Flyers game and he was looking good (2 goals) against the Bruins… okay, okay… you guys see right through me… this was a homer pick 100%.

Round 18 – Esa Lindell – I know with all the points and SOGs from the early part of my draft, I needed D men that averaged lots of hits and blocks. Lindell does just that.

Round 19 – Trevor Zegras – I figured I could take a chance on a big breakout from the young Ducks forwards… land who better to land than the prospect who everyone has been falling in love with for a couple years. Let’s Go Ducks!

Round 20 – Connor Murphy – See Esa Lindell

Round 21 – Ryan Johansen – At this point I am desperate for some FOW…so I find a a guy that will be number one Centre and hopefully the Predators can start scoring and get figure out how to run a powerplay.

Round 22 – Adam Lowry – Meh, I needed FOW and hits… he isn’t Vincent Trochek by any means… but I figured 200 Hits and 450 FOW as my 4C will make up for the lack of perihperals from my early picks.

Round 23 – Tim Stuetzle – Worth the upside and getting 2/3 of Ottawa’s top line can only benefit me if they take the next step in the rebuild.

Round 24 – Jesper Kotkaniemi – I found his ADP and Rank in yahoo (586) to be completely absurd. I found this out the night before in Dobber Pro Campbell and drafted him late in that draft as well. He is playing with Trochek and Teravainen and that line seems to be doing well. And playing with the Canes I expect his offensive side to come out even more this year!

Round 25 – Jamie Oleksiak – See Esa Lindell

Candy Kane

C - W. Karlsson, Norris, Johansen, Zegras, Kotkaniemi, Lowry
    LW - Pacioretty, Connor, Benn, Rust, Stuetzle
    RW - P. Kane, Kaprizov, Bjorkstrand, Farabee,
    D - Theodore, Pionk, Pietrangelo, Lindell, C. Murphy, Oleksiak
    G - Lehner, Grubauer, Knight, Elliot
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I decided to go with a little different strategy regarding where to pick goalies this time around. I decided to fade goalies 1.5-2 rounds down compared to my own rankings relative to where goalies are picked. If I didn't have any goalies around R6-R8, then I would pick 1 fairly safe starter that can get 50-60 starts, although not necessarily quality ones Then keep fading goalies until going for full G run at around R15 onwards after picking up your core skater lineup: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4-5D. Then continue picking up any half-decent goalies(nearly anyone that's not in ARI, BUF, OTT) as long they last. It's essentially just throwing 5-8 darts blindfolded and hope you get 2-4 usable goalies and dump the rest of your goalies at some point. The plan is to go skater heavy and have average goaltending so even someone like Hill/Reimer posting 3.00 GAA, 90.5 SV% is good enough to be your 3rd to 5th goalie. Target is to be in Top3 in SVS, mid-table in W and probably somewhere in the bottom 3rd in SV% and GAA.

The Hyman Centipede

C - Trocheck, Larkin, Hischier, Cirelli
    LW - Bennett, Hyman, RNH
    RW - Kucherov, Rantanen, E.Lindholm, Gourde
    D - Makar, Fox, DeAngelo, Edler
    G - Talbot, Merzlikins
    BN - Driedger, Bernier, Georgiev, Oettinger, Bishop, Hill, Reimer, Cozens

1. (5) Nikita Kucherov (TB - RW)

Given the choice I would have slightly preferred getting C here with Matthews/MacKinnon mostly due finding that usually the best picks later in the draft based on my lists are nearly always wingers or dmen so I usually opt to pick C when it's close. Kucherov is just fine though as I think there's fairly clear Top5 (maybe Top6 if you really value Vasilevski) and don't think there's much difference between #4/5# on my list with Matthews/Kucherov.

2. (20) Cale Makar (Col - D)

I had Makar, Rantanen and Zibanejad very closely ranked so had a hard time choosing between them. I had RW already so opted to not pick Rantanen. It might have been better to secure C here considering how the later draft went, but decided to go Makar as I have slightly more concerns about Zibanejad than Makar.

3. (29) Mikko Rantanen (Col - RW)

I was bit surprised he lasted this long considering I have seen him go later 1st round in other drafts so easy choice here. It's little concerning I have 2 RW already so this might limit some of my pick options later on, but it's not too bad unless I get 3rd RW soon.

4. (44) Adam Fox (NYR - D)

I had Fox ranked pretty highly, but I am little concerned how well he'll do next season. Probably would have passed on him 2nd/3rd round even if he was best skater available on my list, but I am fine with getting him on the 4th round.

5. (53) Elias Lindholm (Cgy - C,RW)

I did consider Seth Jones as well, but seem like E.Lindholm will be the 1C in CGY now and getting those wing-eligible FOW-takers is always quite difficult in this league so with with E.Lindholm. This places my roster at 3RW already though and I don't want to pick 4rd RW until like R15+ so I'll probably have to pass on some RWs even if they are highest ranked on my list. Hopefully it doesn't cause too much harm. I did consider Binnington, but decided to wait more on goalies.

6. (68) Sam Bennett (Fla - C,LW)

I am very high on Bennett and the question was pretty more about when I take him rather than if I get him. I estimated he would go around 80-100 range in non-FOW leagues and getting FOW from LW pushes him up about 30 spots so decided to not risk it too much and pick him here. I might have been able to wait little bit more, but It was between Trocheck and Bennett anyway and I was more confident in Trocheck dropping to my next pick.

7. (77) Vincent Trocheck (Car - C)

I really needed C by now and goalie pickings were getting slim too with Talbot and Demko available. I really like Trocheck too so decided to risk goalie situation and pick Trocheck.

8. (92) Cam Talbot (Min - G)

Demko went, but Talbot is still there so time to pick a goalie. Very happy I managed to get Talbot here and didn't have go with someone like Pedersen/Smith/Nedeljkovic/Merzlikins as my 1G. I would have loved to pick Chychryn here, but felt I had to go goalie here as I had Talbot ranked much higher than next best goalies available.

9. (101) Zach Hyman (Edm - LW,RW)

I did consider few others like Fiala, Larkin, RNH, Suzuki, Robertson and Weegar, but liked Hyman just a little bit better than other options.

10. (116) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edm - C,LW)

I ended up getting RNH as he should still get some FOW even if he's probably going to play LW most of the time. I might have been better off going D with Weegar though.

11. (125) Dylan Larkin (Det - C)

News about Vrana and Bertuzzi to a lesser degree don't look particularly good for Larkin, but I am still pretty high on Larkin and I need C anyway. It was pretty close between Larkin and Eriksson Ek though so I might be regretting that pick pretty soon. I did also look at DeAngelo, but felt more confident on him dropping to next round than Larkin/Eriksson Ek.

12. (140) Tony DeAngelo (Car - D)

DeAngelo was my worst pick last season, but I think he's in a very good position on CAR to do well so let's hope it's not going to end up as repeat of last season. I only have 2D anyway so it's good spot to get 3rd D.

13. (149) Elvis Merzlikins (Cls - G)

I did think about Eichel, Rust and Klingberg too, but I have always been pretty high on Merzlikins and I think he can do well this season.

14. (164) Nico Hischier (NJ - C)

I have 2C, 7W, 3D, 1G by now so I feel I really need C now before I start my R15+ goalie run. So picked up best C on my list in Hischier.

15. (173) Chris Driedger (Sea - G)
    16. (188) Jonathan Bernier (NJ - G)
    17. (197) Yanni Gourde (Sea - C,RW)
    18. (212) Alexander Edler (LA - D)
    19. (221) Alexandar Georgiev (NYR - G)
    20. (236) Jake Oettinger (Dal - G)
    21. (245) Ben Bishop (Dal - G)
    22. (260) Anthony Cirelli (TB - C,RW)
    23. (269) Adin Hill (SJ - G)
    24. (284) James Reimer (SJ - G)
    25. (293) Dylan Cozens (Buf - C,RW)

Time to go nearly full goalie run until half-decent options run out or I feel like there's a good value pick skater available. Probably could have waited on Edler, but I still have some confidence in him despite last season and he was by far the highest D on my list for some time so felt it was worth the pick. I am pretty confident I'll get 30-40 starts total out of Oettinger+Bishop combined. I think Khudobin will be on the NHL roster regardless, Holtby isn't NHL caliber anymore so that leaves rest of the starts for Bishop or Oettinger. My team ended up 1LW and 2D short, but this is a daily league where you can make up GP played so sitting on on 9 goalies even up to half of the season is just fine.

Overall I think I executed the goalie strategy pretty well and now it's hoping at 2-3 of the later goalie picks turn out decently and see how the strategy turns out. My centers are a little weaker than I preferred, but it's really nothing new on that regard.

Dobber Sports Expert

Honestly, didn’t have a set plan drafting from the last spot. I had a few scenarios going in my head, the week before the draft for strategy purposes, but knowing this crew, anything could happen and it woulda been smashed to piece 5 picks in any way.
    I was hoping that Vas might slip down to 12, since most of the boys don’t employ a goalies early strategy, but there was a slim chance that was going to happen. I did hope for Ovy to slip, but he didn’t and reading the other recaps, he wouldn’t have made it past Rick anyway. I did ponder Crosby, Tkachuk and Makar as my back-to-back picks, but decided with the double goalie (Helle/Kuemper) approach instead. Can’t really fault any of the round 1, 2 or 3 picks.

Round 3/4, nice to know that I sniped a few off Rick, I went a bit early on Seguin (36) as his ADP was much later (74.6), but he was one that I knew I wanted and I’m not sure if he would have lasted to my round 5 pick of 60th. His dual eligibility also gives me some bonus FW from the wing which always a good advantage. I continued to go with the heavy C as it was always a scarce position after G in the league, so went with Kops. I did debate on Stamkos and Josi, but Nashville scares me a bit this season. I love the Hedman pick, I was hoping that he’d slip and same with Tavares.

Round 5/6, Letang wasn’t high on my list, but after G and C, high-end D is always scarce in the league, so I decided to roll the dice on him. Giroux (ADP 156, which is insane) was another one that was high on my list, and once again I was scared of being sniped, so decided to snag him with the 61st pick. I love the Chabot pick, I had him pegged way later (ADP 120) in the 80s, and was thinking I could snag him with the next two picks (84/85), but Rick got to him first. I also liked Jones at 65. Toews was also one that I wanted later, but got snagged 66th, which was high compared to his ADP of 164. I think Bennett has a few ? surrounding him entering the season, he was absolutely flying after the trade to FLA, but with Barkov, Huberdeau, Reinhart, Duclair, Hornqvist, Verhaeghe, Tippett, Acciari and to a certain extent Thornton, they will cannibalised each other for points, but I have learnt to never doubt Teemu’s picks, EVER! Also, not quite sure on Russ’ pick of Sorokin, I thought there were “safer” picks in Price, Hart, Samsonov, Demko, Bob, Khudobin, but each their own. He did have nice peripherals in about 40% of the Isles’ starts…

Round 7/8, Hart at 75th is also a bit high, with an ADP of 131, he was also one that I wanted to target late. Loved the Petry pick, he was one that I had queued for my 84/85 pick, but got snipped 4 picks before mine. Hughes at 78 is also a great value pick, should get some decent stats if the Nucks get their game right again in 2021/22. With Kuemper and Helle, I wanted another high wins with decent peripherals goalie playing on a good team. Samsonov had a crap run last year with all the COVID disruptions, so banking on him for a rebound. Ekblad was a bit of a panic pick as the timer was running down. I only had Letang as a D, and saw the run of Chabot, Rielly, Jones, McAvoy, Hughes, Petry, Pionk, so the D run was going and I needed to join in or get left behind. I remember Ekblad going on a tear prior to his injury, so thought I’d roll the dice. Liked the Demko pick (88), but once again was really early compared to ADP 102.

Round 9/10, liked the Risto pick at 103, as he’s a big statistical monster in our settings, but ADP of 161 might have had him a round or 2 early, but can’t fault Ryan for jumping on him early, if that’s the guy you want. Not a huge fan of the Hyman pick, just not sure if there’s enough points to go around in Edmonton with McDavid, Drai, Puli, Yama, RNH, Barrie, etc. Gaudreau, Benn, Tera, Schenn, RNH all see like safer picks to me than Hyman… Burns was one that was high on my list for a rebound, SJ has been atrocious last few years, but the guy 2 years ago was point-per-game with 300 SOG… I don’t expect anywhere near that production this year, but he should finish within the top 10 fantasy D in our settings. I knew I needed another top C so grabbed Suzuki, should get decent top-line time, adds to the FW from the wing slot and compliments Seguin, Giroux nicely… The thought of owning a Benn and Seguin combo did cross my mind, but decided more upside with Suzuki than Benn… As mentioned before, I think there were some great value picks here, Fiala, Benn, Tera, RNH, Schenn all great picks. Not entirely sold on Robertson (same as the Hyman effect, Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Pavelski and Hintz) not sure how many points he can put up with the depth there.

- - - Updated - - -

Round 11/12, absolutely loved the Tarasenko pick, I had him queued up before being snatched 3 picks ahead of me… as many pointed it, was really the IR stash round with Kane, Backstrom and then Malkin… Looked at the balance of my team at the moment and knew goals were an issue, so took BPA in my opinion in Laine, top-line guy, could score a ton under a new coach. A bit to prove in my opinion. Did debate on Radulov here, but passed.

Round 13/14, went back with the strong up the middle approach with Couture, once again knew that SJ stunk it up last year, so similar to the Burns situation, was looking at potential rebound. 2 years off from a 70-point, 200 SOG season with a decent contribution to HITs and BS. If they can fix up their atrocious 14.1% PP, I’ve got 2 key components on that top PP unit. I also knew that I needed to cement the goalie stats after Hell, Kuemper and Samsonov… and also seeing a bit of a goalie run of Francouz, Merz, Raanta, Vanacek, so grabbed another #1 guy in Gibson. If you’ve been following my goalie strategies, one that I truly subscribe to is goalie splits, home vs away… He’s one that I did a bit of research on in the off-season. He went 6-5-3, 2.16 GAA (5th) and .929 SP (4th) in away games with goalies with more than 14GP on the road… I don’t need him to carry my goalie stats, if I can get him in a few games where he’s playing “favourable” opponents, his numbers should complement Hell, Kuemper and Samonsov nicely. Great snag of Hughes by BN, Dvorak was also one I was targeting later in drafts and pretty much landed in his ADP slot. Oshie is always one that I loved snagging late in drafts, Russ got him at great value at 168.

Round 15/16, absolute steal of Karlsson by Q, I had him queued up for my next pick, but sniped. I really was hoping for a Burns, Karlsson, Couture combo. Werenski was also high on my list too and Rick stole Dahlin from me which I let out a giant F-Bomb in the chat! I have to be honest the next 2 picks were panic picks… I looked at my roster and knew HITs were a real issue, so picked up Coleman and Gudas to instantly solve that issue. Garland by Russ was great value. I watched a lot of Yotes games last season cause I owned the Keller/Kessel pairing and knew that Garland was the stir stick of that team. Going to Van he has a much better supporting cast and should put up some decent points.

Round 17/18, Faulk is great value by Wedge, Allen by BN could be a gigantic steal now that we know Price is out with his players assistance issue. #1 goalie in round 17 on a decent team is huge value. I like PH’s Farabee pick too, did have him queued for the next pick, but sniped 2 picks ahead of me. Went with Tatar, still was short on more goals, so looked at BPA, Tatar is a regular 20-25 goal scorer when healthy, also isn’t afraid of providing HITs and reasonable SOG, so it ticked a lot of the boxes for my team’s needs. Followed it up with another player who fits a similar bill of goals, HITs, SOG, so went with Batherson… should get decent top-6 time. Rick with OEL is great value, I thought I coulda waited to the next pick for OEL given his ADP, but snagged. In retrospect, I think I would take OEL over Batherson if I had a do-over. Edler is also a consistent producer, always gets 30 points, and 100 HITs, 100 BS with 100+ SOG on the Kings with Kops, Brown, Arvidsson Danault there should be plenty of offensive opportunities there. Also didn’t mind the Morrissey and Dach picks to end the round too.

Round 19/20, Comtois I think could take a nice step forward this year, so nice snag by Wedge, Tolvanen was one that I also wanted but much later than the 222 pick where he went. Hoffman pick by Rick I think could be interesting, but just like a few of the other situations with depth, I don’t know how many points will go to him with Suzuki, Toffoli, Drouin, Caufield, Gallagher, Anderson, Armia all trying to compete for points? Getting to this point of the draft it’s just looking for low risk, high reward players. Managed to snag Subban, once again continuing the theme of my draft this year, of looking at rebound guys. Subban was pretty much a consistent 60-point, 180-200 SOG guy who could chip in with 100 HITs, 100 BS and 60-80 PIMs. Another year with the kids developing, and a little bit more depth this year, should help improve upon Subban’s numbers from last year. Next pick also snagged Lafreniere. Read and researched a lot on him over the off-season, should get top-6 time with Zibs and Panarin or Kreider/Kakko, not a lot of top-line/6 guys available at this point in the draft, so thought he was a decent value at 229. Atkinson I think is great value, and I did debate on him over Lafreniere, but thought the depth in Philly was too deep and Laf had more upside. Larsson is a peripheral beast, but I couldn’t handle the lack of offensive production, but I think hes a great value pick by LOTR.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12