Thread: Evander Kane?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Evander Kane?

We did our draft last night and I'm overall pretty happy with my team in my 8-man league. Because of all the drama surrounding Evander Kane, he went undrafted in my league. I have waiver spot number 1 and could use it to grab him, but is it worth it if he may not even play? He provides a shit ton of hits as well as decent offense and seems like a steal if he actually does play.

Here is my current team and cats:

Skater Cats: G, A, PPP, SHG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, and Hat tricks

My roster:
    C - Scheifele, Pettersson, Dach
    LW - Ovi, Panarin, Svech
    RW - Marner, Boeser, Caufield
    D - Makar, Petry, Chabot, Letang, DeAngelo
    G - Markstrom, Shesterkin

We normally have dual eligibility for our players, but ESPN hasn't updated it yet (also I know ESPN sucks, I've been telling our LM for years now lol). Would probably end up dropping Dach or Caufield for Kane though.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Evander Kane?

If you wait till the start of the season does he just become an FA (IE not use up your first overall waiver claim)?
    I have no issue making the swap player wise, just not crazy about also giving up the waiver priority.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

This concept makes little to no sense to me.
    If you thought E.Kane was worth it... he should've been drafted.

Burning a #1 waiver spot, for a player that maybe should've been drafted, and dumping the late-round player you DID draft.
    Nopity, nope.
    That #1 waiver spot is pretty valuable in shallow pools.

I'd keep Dach & Caufield, for now.
    What you could consider... is determining when Kane becomes a standard FA (not waivers).

Hopefully you have an injured player you can push into IR or IR+ spot immediately.
    If yes, you do that... and then add E.Kane to the open spot.

[Personally, I think Evander Kane is going to play a regular season... despite all the current drama.]

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by COLT.45 View Post
    If you wait till the start of the season does he just become an FA (IE not use up your first overall waiver claim)?
    I have no issue making the swap player wise, just not crazy about also giving up the waiver priority.
    All FA players in our league are on waivers until tomorrow, then I think they just become a FA. I know at least 1 other team has their eyes on him, so that's why I wanted to use the claim. I remember there was a similar situation involving Kane before last season, and then he went on to post 49 points (plus peripherals) in 56 games on a terrible Sharks team. Just wasn't sure if he was worth all the risk still.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    This concept makes little to no sense to me.
    If you thought E.Kane was worth it... he should've been drafted.

Burning a #1 waiver spot, for a player that maybe should've been drafted, and dumping the late-round player you DID draft.
    Nopity, nope.
    That #1 waiver spot is pretty valuable in shallow pools.

I'd keep Dach & Caufield, for now.
    What you could consider... is determining when Kane becomes a standard FA (not waivers).

Hopefully you have an injured player you can push into IR or IR+ spot immediately.
    If yes, you do that... and then add E.Kane to the open spot.
    That's a fair assessment and you make a really solid point. Until today I genuinely thought he was gonna get kicked out of the league. I might just wait til tomorrow and see if he hits FA.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah... hockey people know that Evander Kane is an *******.

But the general mass populus doesn't know this... and if the NHL suspends him (as one of the few black players), I think the NHL will face enormous negative backlash on social media platforms.
    So... I think the NHL is going to be "hands off"... and SJ too... and I think Kane will ultimately end up playing a full 82gp, if healthy.
    [That is - unless there is EASY, SOLID evidence to show that Kane has bet on hockey games that he should not have bet on. If it's a cut-and-dry finding, yeah, he's out... but I think that would've happened by now, if it was going to.]

Dobber Sports Superstar

The only actionable item that Kane has been accused of is betting on games. Now if that is true he will be toast. That being said the accusation is from an estranged wife who appears to be locked in a bitter divorce proceedings. The accusation was over a month ago (maybe more?) and there has been zero substantiation or reporting of anything other than Kane denying it. I believe it most likely Kane receives no suspension from the NHL. Apparently the Sharks want him gone but without a trade partner and the buyout window over he is going to play somewhere.

In a league like yours I think Evander Kane is a must own as he puts up excellent numbers across the Board. He should have been drafted, but he wasn't so here you are. If prior to the season someone had panic dropped Kane I would be advising you to use #1 waiver wire on him, as such, I would also be happy to burn the #1 waiver wire on adding him now.

The only exception to the above is you know your league mate better than anyone else on the forums. Is there a guy who will panic drop a stud-like player if he gets 0 points in the first 3 games? If so it might be worth the risk of seeing if Kane falls to free agency.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR