Thread: Narrowing down keepers

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Narrowing down keepers

ESPN team in sig. Keep 10. Need to make some decisions.

Keeping Huberdeau, Laine, Teravainen, Eichel, Dahlin, Theodore, and Lehner

I need to pick 3 from the following:

Backstrom
    Hintz
    Robertson
    Giroux
    Wheeler
    Pionk
    Knight

Just a couple league notes: trade activity is pretty much nil. I’m going to keep trying to pry picks away but it doesn’t seem likely, so just assume km
    needing to keep 3 of the above. I have no 1st or 3rd round picks.

Dobber has Robertson with a 8.5/10 prospect upside and 70 pt potential. Is it time to take a chance on him?

thanks in advance.

Sig not showing. League cats are G A SOG PIM FOW HIT BLK STP W SV SV% SO
    Start 9F 6D 2G

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Narrowing down keepers

It definitely time to take a chance on Robertson. He won't put up points at the same pace as last year now that Seguin and Radulov are healthy, but he'll continue to be productive.

I would also keep Pionk given that you start 6 D and only 9F, which puts a premium on good Dmen. And he'll give you good coverage for these cats.

And for the last spot, I would probably keep Backstrom. Great for faceoffs and constantly puts up points.

The Great One

Don't sleep on Wheeler in this format. He's not a 90 point guy anymore but he seems to have restabilized at 75 points, which, with his peripherals, makes him worthy of keeping.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I have kept Wheeler in this league for the last 7 seasons. He’s been as steady as they come, with a few 90pt seasons peppered in there. He’s usually a lock keeper, but this year I’ve been considering going younger.

My tentative 3 are: Backstrom, Wheeler and Hintz

I find it interesting neither of you mentioned Hintz. Am I reading too much in to his point per game season last year?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I go Hintz Robertson Knight but it might be stupid to eschew aging vets like Wheeler and Backstrom.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wheeler, knight, and Hintz. I want to say backstrom over Hintz since Hintz is a gamble to play on game day, but Hintz also has a great upside on top of being much younger.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the responses folks. It is awesome to get a variety of perspectives on this, pretty sure everyone has had different recommendations, makes me re-think my own choices.

im leaning toward casting off one of my older guys, Backstrom or Wheeler. I think Wheeler plays better in my format, and I’ve got Yeravainen who puts up similar numbers to Backstrom (more shots, no faceoffs), so I’m thinking of dumping Backstrom off to keep either Robertson or Pionk.

I like Knights chances of getting some quality starts, but I think it’s too much of a gamble when I have some sure fire producers I could keep at the F or D positions.