Thread: Who are your top 3 goalie options from these?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Who are your top 3 goalie options from these?

Time for me to start thinking about my backup goalie spot for my main dynasty league, which is 25+ years strong. I'm a perennial contender, so now is important but so is the future. I tend to not run tandems, as playing matchups is hard to get right when it's one game a week; I'd rather not beat myself up.

It is basically only SV%; there's a bonus for a shutout, but a shutout means you are almost certainly going to win your week, unless both teams get a shutout. Only one goalie game per week, you name a starter and up to two backups, and that's the pecking order of whom you use. A very hot or cold goalie is a great or horrible thing come playoff time.

My starter is Shesterkin, and my current and recent backups are on this list, which has been culled to remove guys I'm not interested in at all:

Thatcher Demko VAN
    Jack Campbell TOR
    Tristan Jarry PIT
    Elvis Merzlikins CBJ
    Jordan Binnington STL
    Frederik Andersen CAR
    Jacob Markstrom CGY
    Alex Nedeljkovic DET
    Cal Petersen LAK
    Jake Oettinger DAL
    Sergei Bobrovsky FLA
    Spencer Knight FLA
    Jeremy Swayman BOS
    Kaapo Kahkonen MIN

Any thoughts appreciated, and rep will be spread around.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Who are your top 3 goalie options from these?

So if I read your post correctly, the volume of starts isn't paramount and neither is the strength of the team (at least wins don't matter as long as it's not a defensive horror show), right? It's purely SV% and SO.

I'd be hesitant to pick Swayman, Oettinger, Knight and maybe even Kahkonen because they could end up being only backups (I'm aware there is potential for more, but I wouldn't want to risk a roster spot for a guy who might not even start once in a given week).

Andersen, Binnington, Jarry, Bobrovsky hold way more value in leagues that count wins, but I'm not sold on their individual skills and don't expect an excellent SV%.

Ned and Demko are good goalies, but I'm questioning the defensive support they'll be getting from their respective teams.

Markstrom seems to be have the highest floor but not the highest ceiling imo. He'll start a lot for a solid Sutter team. Not much that can go too wrong here.

However the guy I like best is Petersen. That must be a surprise for some reading this, but his individual SV% has always been very good, his team added two excellent defensive fwds which should limit high danger chances against him and is generally on a good trajectory. Finally he's still young enough to be valueable for many more years.

This leaves Merzlikins as my wild card. CMB looks mediocre on paper, but they're solid defensively. Elvis is a very talented G and he'll play with a chip on his shoulder: it's a contract year for him, he'd want to set himself apart from Korpisalo under a new coach and he'll play for his late friend Kivlenieks. He hasn't been the most consistent of all Gs, but if he can start more regularly his SV% (which has always been very solid on average) could be even better.

Dobber Sports Monster

Jordan Binnington STL
    Frederik Andersen CAR
    Jacob Markstrom CGY

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    So if I read your post correctly, the volume of starts isn't paramount and neither is the strength of the team (at least wins don't matter as long as it's not a defensive horror show), right? It's purely SV% and SO.

I'd be hesitant to pick Swayman, Oettinger, Knight and maybe even Kahkonen because they could end up being only backups (I'm aware there is potential for more, but I wouldn't want to risk a roster spot for a guy who might not even start once in a given week).

Andersen, Binnington, Jarry, Bobrovsky hold way more value in leagues that count wins, but I'm not sold on their individual skills and don't expect an excellent SV%.

Ned and Demko are good goalies, but I'm questioning the defensive support they'll be getting from their respective teams.

Markstrom seems to be have the highest floor but not the highest ceiling imo. He'll start a lot for a solid Sutter team. Not much that can go too wrong here.

However the guy I like best is Petersen. That must be a surprise for some reading this, but his individual SV% has always been very good, his team added two excellent defensive fwds which should limit high danger chances against him and is generally on a good trajectory. Finally he's still young enough to be valueable for many more years.

This leaves Merzlikins as my wild card. CMB looks mediocre on paper, but they're solid defensively. Elvis is a very talented G and he'll play with a chip on his shoulder: it's a contract year for him, he'd want to set himself apart from Korpisalo under a new coach and he'll play for his late friend Kivlenieks. He hasn't been the most consistent of all Gs, but if he can start more regularly his SV% (which has always been very solid on average) could be even better.
    Like this advice. Big discrepancy is Knight - I think he can be killer in this format, and also Kahkonen to a lesser extent. i’m also a tad more bullish onJarry and Binnington but otherwise agree.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I can totally see your point about Knight, he's just not certain enough for my taste: If Bob rebounds he'll get all the starts he can handle given his huge contract. If he doesn't though, Knight should be able to provide very good value here indeed.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Clarifications:

0. Shutouts score as if they are a save percentage of 105.0% percent rather than 100.0% percent, and goalies compare save% head to head, and the difference becomes a calculation against offensive results. So they are really rare, unless you are the team I'm playing against. I have faced almost twice as many shutouts as anyone else over the course of this league. Having bad schedule luck on average over 25+ years is not a good way to be lucky.

1. Start volume is completely irrelevant. Our league week starts on Thursday, and the first game for each NHL team is what counts. So if my starter doesn't play, and my backup doesn't play, then I get the guy who played for the actual NHL team of my starter (likely Georgiev, and that's why he's not on the list).

2. Players who are backups now but project well can be perfectly fine to use as a backup in this league, as long as they are reasonably reliable. Sometimes you get guys who become starters down the line, of course.

3. This league sees few trades, especially of goalies. They are normally some decent ones on the wire at any time, as you can see. So if I want to switch things up, I can do that pretty easily, but the elite goalies are rarely there, unless you get them early.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Jordan Binnington STL
    Frederik Andersen CAR
    Jacob Markstrom CGY
    I like these options, but if you were to replace one of them with Knight I'd understand.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Jordan Binnington STL
    Frederik Andersen CAR
    Jacob Markstrom CGY
    I also agree with this. The rest are a bunch of question marks.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Knight
    Campbell
    Bob

Could make a case for Petersen to be swapped in there somehow.

Knight very well maybe elite, so I think you'd want to jump on him. With Knight likely getting a good amount of games, that could allow Bob to bounce back to his former self.

I think Campbell is a solid choice and he's getting better every season.
    SalaryKeeper ROTO-Add/Drops/Trades require IRL $
    12 Teams - 32 Player Roster -20 Active - Min 5D to Max 7D - Min 11F to Max 13F
    16 Keepers (G=2 Keeper spots)
    83.5M Weekly AAV - Bench does not count towards salary cap

F/D: G, A, PPA, PPG, +/-, Hits, BLKS, Shifts (0.5), TOI (0.5), PEN
    G: GAA, Saves, SPCT, TOI, Wins, SO, OTL (0.5)

Roster
    F: MacKinnon, JT Miller, Kaprizov,
    E.Kane, Caufield, Eichel, Batherson, Malkin, Dach
    Kempe, Greig, Tolvanen, Zary, P.Kane, Foegele, Dowd

D: Theodore, Chychrun, Drysdale, McAvoy, Matheson, Okhotiuk, M. Roy, Fehervary, Perbix, Martinez, M. Anderson

G: Thompson, Vanecek, UPL, Lyon, Binnington

Dobber Sports Initiate

The 3 I like best
    Merzlikins
    Demko
    Bobrovsky or Knight. I could go with either one of them. Knight's upside is tremendous and I also have belief in Bob making a rebound too.

If neither of the 2 Florida goalies tickle your fancy. Then I feel a little more inclined towards Demko.