Thread: Overhaul complete, bye Stamkos, hello Markstrom and Ullmark REP GIVEN

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Overhaul complete, bye Stamkos, hello Markstrom and Ullmark REP GIVEN

Completed a nice little overhaul - main goal to get value out of solid droppers (Burns, Rust), and in the process turn a very murky goalie situation (Mrazek, Khudobin, Oettinger, Vanecek) into something more stable.

Keepers now look like this:

C: Tavares Larkin Trocheck Norris
    W: Marchand Ehlers Konecny JRobertson Garland
    D: Jones Karlsson Letang
    G: Markstrom Ullmark

Trades were:

- Ullmark for Burns
    - Markstrom for Rust
    - Garland / 2nd (17th) / 2nd 2022 for Stamkos / Hischier
    - Norris / 2nd (20th) for Smith / 4th (52nd)

Was very tough to give up Stammer/Hischier, but I’m high on Garland, replenished draft stock with 2 2nd rounders, and I’m very concerned about Stammer’s injury risk going forward. Plus the trade allowed me to keep Trocheck at C and Hischier was replaced by Norris, who may have even more upside.

I like the balance now, and can focus the draft on picking up some nice W and D depth.

Thoughts welcome.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Overhaul complete, bye Stamkos, hello Markstrom and Ullmark REP GIVEN

Good job on the goalies. Markstrom for Rust is an absolute steal in my opinion.

What Smith are we talking about here in the trade for Norris? Reilly Smith? I like that trade for you, even with the pick downgrade.

I am not as high on Garland as you are and I do think you probably could've gotten more for Stamkos and Hischier but I don't hate it.

Overall, the upgrade in goal is significant so only for that, great off-season!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Overhaul complete, bye Stamkos, hello Markstrom and Ullmark REP GIVEN

Amazing work.

Ullmark for Burns is insane! So jealous. I like the Markstrom and Norris trades as well.

Garland to me is kind of a gamble, but Stammer is getting older and both him and Hischier are band-aid boys.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Good job getting Ullmark and Markstrom in value deals. I like it, I like it a lot.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd say your top two are big wins (considering your goalies before) and the other two are decent wins. Overall, nice work!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Icon

Wow totally messed up, in the Norris for Ty Smith trade I got the nice pick upgrade:

- Norris / 2nd (20th) for Smith / 4th (52nd)

This is what made this a win trade since that 20th overall should net a solid young player.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Overall I like this. However, you need to give to get and quality players like Burns, Stammer, Rust and Hischier leaving your roster is significant. If Burns and Stamkos return to some semblance of form, and Hischier takes the next step and Rust remains consistent, then you did pay a price, this was not robbery by any means. If these guys shit the bed or succumb to injury well then, your a genius. You moved out some aging players arguably on the decline and nicely addressed a serious problem in net at the same time. Garland is IMO, a risky acquisition, but we'll see. Of all the deals I like Norris for Smith. For this year, I'm not certain that you take a significant step forward as a result of these trades but certainly in the longer term you look much better than you did by solidifying your goaltending which absolutely needed to happen, brought in some youth and adding some nice draft upgrades. Again, you need to give to get and I think you did that but the key is truly getting what you needed and in that you did well.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Overall I like this. However, you need to give to get and quality players like Burns, Stammer, Rust and Hischier leaving your roster is significant. If Burns and Stamkos return to some semblance of form, and Hischier takes the next step and Rust remains consistent, then you did pay a price, this was not robbery by any means. If these guys shit the bed or succumb to injury well then, your a genius. You moved out some aging players arguably on the decline and nicely addressed a serious problem in net at the same time. Garland is IMO, a risky acquisition, but we'll see. Of all the deals I like Norris for Smith. For this year, I'm not certain that you take a significant step forward as a result of these trades but certainly in the longer term you look much better than you did by solidifying your goaltending which absolutely needed to happen, brought in some youth and adding some nice draft upgrades. Again, you need to give to get and I think you did that but the key is truly getting what you needed and in that you did well.

Very fair. Burns was going to be dropped anyway, was keeping Rust over him, and a not insignificant factor in all this was that I was able to keep Trocheck due to the odd number of players. If Trocheck keeps up his performance last year, I’ve got a valuable multicat C, otherwise he’s helpful depth and an easy drop next year keeping Norris at C and another young stud C I might be able to snag in the draft.

Stamkos and Hischier do scare me, but as you said you have to give to get. In our league, a Stamkos value even still elite was starting to diminish - combo of 30+ and (more relevant) injury. As for Hischier I believe Norris will end up being a more fantasy-valuable C, but the jury’s out big time on that one.

Garland is the BIG gamble - will be very interesting to see if Dobber’s projections play out. I figure there is a very good chance that at minimum he’s a young Bryan Rust or Gallagher, and that’s valuable either way. If he does that, I lose the trade but can turn it around by who I draft with the 2 2nds I got, the first if which is a high pick. If he explodes, home run.

Everyone hit the nail on the head though that the goalie resolution was the key. I wasn’t going anywhere with a patchwork G situation, even if the rest of my team is solid. At least now there’s stability there and Markstrom and Ullmark could well have terrific seasons, and that’s league-winning potential.

And in the end I had to start thinking of moving out guys like Burns so as not to lose them for nothing. Getting goalie help for him was first priority.