Thread: Keller vs. Kessel

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Keller vs. Kessel

Who do you keep in a points-only keeper.
    Positions do not matter.
    I likely won't be competing this season.
    While Keller may be the better long-term option, I'm wondering if a decent season from Kessel might make him a stronger trading piece.

Cheers!
    8-Team Points-Only Keeper League
    Roster of 25 Players
    No positional requirements for Forwards
    Farm System of 3 Players

Fwds - Rantanen, Kaprizov, Pettersson, J. Hughes, Ovechkin, Malkin, A. Svechnikov, Forsberg, Reinhart, Keller, Gaudreau, Hagel, Eklund

Def - Q. Hughes, Josi, Theodore, Morrissey, Dunn, Letang, Burns, Matheson, York, Thrun

Goalies - Shesterkin, Jarry

Farm - Benson, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Keller vs. Kessel

Ugh like choosing which apple is more rotten. That Arizona team is thin. Between these guys I’m taking a wild chance on Kessel. Only because I think he gets traded to a better situation. Still tho, yotes have 1 consistent player and he’s a dman. Good luck.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Ugh like choosing which apple is more rotten. That Arizona team is thin. Between these guys I’m taking a wild chance on Kessel. Only because I think he gets traded to a better situation. Still tho, yotes have 1 consistent player and he’s a dman. Good luck.
    I agree. The best case for both players is a trade, and Kessel seems more likely to be dealt. However, if both players stay in Arizona, my choice is Keller. He’s been in the league so long that I always forget he just turned 23. It will be interesting to see how all Arizona players benefit/hurt from the coaching change.

As for Chychrun - he had a great year last season, but I wouldn’t quite call him consistent yet. Prior to last season, he dealt with multiple injuries and his best season prior to last season was the 19/20 season where he only put up 26 points in 63 games. I guess I need to see more from him before calling him consistent.

Dobber Sports Pro

I strongly believe in Keller and while his ceiling is limited by his team, I think his deployment will make him a decent fantasy asset.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I’m not high on Chychrun like others are. He’s had one really good season then the team around him got gutted immediately afterwards.

As for the two guys in question Kessel is my pick. It wouldn’t surprise me if he got loaded up with all the minutes and PP time he can handle in an attempt to butter up other GMs for a trade. I think he will be given every opportunity to play his way out of that black hole and with any luck end up on a team that will give him a much better chance to succeed. I took him at the end of my draft this year and between playing for a trade and eventually playing somewhere else (most likely) I think he’ll be more motivated than he’s been in years.

Plus once/if Phil is gone Keller will truly be on an island by himself.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Keller is likely the better for trading value, as he's young, and Kessel is old. As to which Coyote does better this year, it's a coin flip.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Keller is likely the better for trading value, as he's young, and Kessel is old. As to which Coyote does better this year, it's a coin flip.
    Being young and under term for SEVEN more seasons makes him less likely to be moved IMO. He can still be a part of whatever the hell it is Arizona is trying to cobble together there.

Keller’s move clauses kick in around 2024 so I’m thinking if he does get moved it’ll be before those come into effect but Arizona doesn’t really have an obligation to move him right now unless he explicitly asks for a trade. Kessel on the other hand is a pending UFA and has to get moved for something or it’s a wasted asset.

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    Being young and under term for SEVEN more seasons makes him less likely to be moved IMO. He can still be a part of whatever the hell it is Arizona is trying to cobble together there.

Keller’s move clauses kick in around 2024 so I’m thinking if he does get moved it’ll be before those come into effect but Arizona doesn’t really have an obligation to move him right now unless he explicitly asks for a trade. Kessel on the other hand is a pending UFA and has to get moved for something or it’s a wasted asset.
    I think Steve meant that in fantasy, Keller is much more tradeable than Kessel. In real life, the likelihood of Kessel being dealt is much higher.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think you take the chance on Keller. Hopefully he breaks out big time and becomes a keeper. I don’t see fantasy managers jumping to trade for Kessel even if he does well this year, your return would likely be minimal. I think the risk/reward with Keller is a better use of your keeper spot.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I prefer Keller, but I don't think either of them will have good stats this season.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for all your feedback. I ended up trading some picks for Theodore and Stone. Consequently, I dropped both Keller and Kessel.
    Roster of 25 Players
    Farm System of 3 Players

Fwds - Rantanen, Kaprizov, Pettersson, J. Hughes, Ovechkin, Malkin, A. Svechnikov, Forsberg, Reinhart, Keller, Gaudreau, Hagel, Eklund

Def - Q. Hughes, Josi, Theodore, Morrissey, Dunn, Letang, Burns, Matheson, York, Thrun

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    I think Steve meant that in fantasy, Keller is much more tradeable than Kessel. In real life, the likelihood of Kessel being dealt is much higher.
    Yes, this is exactly what I meant. You will get a ton more in return for Keller. Kessel was waived in the last year or so in a deep dynasty I'm in, due to no interest.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Yes, this is exactly what I meant. You will get a ton more in return for Keller. Kessel was waived in the last year or so in a deep dynasty I'm in, due to no interest.
    My misunderstanding then. I assumed we were talking real life trade possibilities. Within fantasy Keller is obviously the better trade piece due to age, I just don’t believe he gets moved out of Arizona for a better situation any time soon. In that regard, for THIS year anyway, I think Kessel has a better chance of going somewhere and finding a better situation in the short term

Dobber Sports Padawan

In fantasy, I sometimes find that the younger player usually holds more value to teams that are not competing, whereas older players that are still putting up points can be packaged to those teams that are in win-now. Team situation sometimes matters as well.
    Roster of 25 Players
    Farm System of 3 Players

Dobber Sports Ace

I personally think Kessel is worth a keep, he's UFA after this season and it's no secret that Arizona intends to trade him. They'll be loading him into all the best scenarios they can muster to make sure they get max value.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson