Thread: Pavel Francouz, huge sleeper

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Pavel Francouz, huge sleeper

One name I'm not seeing mentioned at all is Pavel Francouz of the Avs.

Sure, he's had injury issues, was out all last season. But 2 seasons ago when he was healthy, there were stretches where he was better than Grubauer and put up better fantasy stats. The guy is a mid tier starting talent on a great team that will provide good fantasy production for any goalie that plays. Kuemper I don't think is as good as Grubauer, but close enough. But even if Kuemper doesn't get injured, I don't think the Avs would want to overuse him. Especially once they've locked a playoff spot down.

So during the regular season, if both goalies remain healthy, I can easily see a 60/40 or even 50/50 split, Kuemper/Francouz.

And IF Kuemper does miss time, Francouz's value goes through the roof.

Kuemper is being drafted fairly early, his adp in the top 50. While Francouz is being near completely forgotten. You can probably get Francouz in the 13th or 14th round in many drafts. And that's ridiculous for the production you could get out of Francouz. Personally I think Kuemper should be going a few rounds later than he currently is and Francouz should be going many rounds higher. At most, I think there would be a 3-5 round difference between these two, but they could end the season being fairly equal in fantasy contribution. If Kuemper goes in say, round 5, Francouz should be going in like round 7, 8 or 9.

You can get Francouz, or in keeper/dynasty, probably trade for him for almost nothing. And he could easily end up providing top 20-25 fantasy goalie production.

Any thoughts? He's easily one of my biggest sleeper goalie candidates this season.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Pavel Francouz, huge sleeper

Ssssshhhhhhh! Because I agree with you 100%!
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    One name I'm not seeing mentioned at all is Pavel Francouz of the Avs.

Sure, he's had injury issues, was out all last season. But 2 seasons ago when he was healthy, there were stretches where he was better than Grubauer and put up better fantasy stats. The guy is a mid tier starting talent on a great team that will provide good fantasy production for any goalie that plays. Kuemper I don't think is as good as Grubauer, but close enough. But even if Kuemper doesn't get injured, I don't think the Avs would want to overuse him. Especially once they've locked a playoff spot down.

So during the regular season, if both goalies remain healthy, I can easily see a 60/40 or even 50/50 split, Kuemper/Francouz.

And IF Kuemper does miss time, Francouz's value goes through the roof.

Kuemper is being drafted fairly early, his adp in the top 50. While Francouz is being near completely forgotten. You can probably get Francouz in the 13th or 14th round in many drafts. And that's ridiculous for the production you could get out of Francouz. Personally I think Kuemper should be going a few rounds later than he currently is and Francouz should be going many rounds higher. At most, I think there would be a 3-5 round difference between these two, but they could end the season being fairly equal in fantasy contribution. If Kuemper goes in say, round 5, Francouz should be going in like round 7, 8 or 9.

You can get Francouz, or in keeper/dynasty, probably trade for him for almost nothing. And he could easily end up providing top 20-25 fantasy goalie production.

Any thoughts? He's easily one of my biggest sleeper goalie candidates this season.
    he needs to stay healthy…Klemperer needs to get hurt and then he needs to perform well if all that happen..I think it’s long shot all 3 happen..and if they do I’m still not sure he is a sleeper as most GMs have him on the radar
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    he needs to stay healthy…Klemperer needs to get hurt and then he needs to perform well if all that happen..I think it’s long shot all 3 happen..and if they do I’m still not sure he is a sleeper as most GMs have him on the radar
    He needs to stay healthy yea. But Kuemper doesn't need to get hurt. They will want to keep Kuemper healthy, they won't want to overuse him. And Francouz has the ability to be as good or better than Kuemper. They'll more than likely play both if both are healthy, probably leaning on the hot hand. IMO, Grubauer is better than Kuemper and Francouz ate into his starts his first season. They're not going to play Kuemper more than 70% of starts when healthy, and could be as low as 50% if Francouz is playing as good or better. And then yea, if one of them gets injured, the other gets a huge bump.

And Francouz's performance isn't so worrying. He's performed well most of the time when on the ice. At least during regular season. No reason to expect him to suddenly suck, probably for a better team and defense than he had in front of him 2 seasons ago.

Not sure why people are expecting Kuemper to be the only guy in Colorado. They're not a team to use just one goalie. And Kuemper isn't the guy you play 80-90% of games. In Kuemper's entire career, he started more than 29 games in 2 season. Then one season 29, one 28, one 27, one 25, the rest all below 20. In 8 seasons.

They are going to share the net to a significant degree. Not sure it will be 50/50 but it could if Francouz performs well. But at minimum I think between 60/40 and 50/50 really if they are both healthy. Which means Francouz probably getting something like 35 starts. While Kuemper gets around 47. The most games Kuemper has ever started is 55 one year, 2nd most is 50. Everything else is 29 or less. He's not starting more than 55. More likely, closer to 47.

Do most GM's? He's going very late in redrafts and startups from what I can tell. He's actually been dropped in some dynasty leagues. I am sure some are keeping an eye on him, but I haven't seen may with that much interest. Maybe if he starts moving up draft boards I could believe that. Compared to Kuemper whom I think will only get 10-15 more starts than him, he's going MUCH later. Which seems like a combo of Kuemper going a few rounds too early and Francouz going many rounds too late. Maybe that will change as we get deeper into the heart of fantasy hockey drafts though as preseason rolls on. Guess will see.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports All-Star

A lot of things need to fall into place but yes he’s worth a go in deep leagues.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

The Great One

A few of the Dobber writers have been saying just this most of the off season here and there. So some smart folks agree with you.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Wizard

If Kuemper is healthy, there is no way we'll see a 50-50 split. He is the guy. Expect at least 60-40 and more likely 65-35 split.
    The sleeper potential of Francouz lies in Kuemper's injury risk.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.