Thread: Erik Karlsson, Dynasty/redraft expectations.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Erik Karlsson, Dynasty/redraft expectations.

Team and league in sig. Keepers submitted by tonight.

What are people expecting from EK? Does he bounce back this season? Next? Ever? Or even if he does play better, is he likely to be a significant fantasy contributor?

Wondering if I should keep a guy like Zac Jones or Nolan Foote instead who could have higher, sustained long term value in dynasty. Prospects tend to be worth more than older players on the down turn. Even though EK is just like 31 I think, he’s been real poor for Sharks and I’m really not sure what to expect from him this season and beyond.

Or if he’s even worth keeping, even though he’s still close to 70% owned on Yahoo. Could just be people clinging to his name value rather than actual value.

Leave a link, will help with yours..
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Erik Karlsson, Dynasty/redraft expectations.

Poor? Sure last year he was poor, but not the years before - he has a terrific year in ‘18/‘19 with the Sharks.

I’d easily keep him over the guys you mention.

Safe prediction: 40 points

My prediction: 49 points

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Superstar

There is no doubt that EK is not the player he was. Lets not forget how high he set the bar in his prime, like PPG high in 15-16. Honestly, I think EK can put up 40 points in his sleep even with the Sharks and I wouldn't bet against that floor for 2 or 3 more years barring injury. 45 would be just OK and 50 would not be unexpected whatsoever or an unreasonable expectation. If he has a good year and the Sharks youth takes a nice step EK can flirt with 55 - 60. He had a poor year last year but the previous 3 years he put up pts/gm of .87 .85 .71. In a CAP league EK's value is a bit concerning, well, a lot concerning and you hear that on the Forum all the time, rightfully so, but in your league that's not a concern and 50 pt+ Defencemen do not grow on trees. Not keeping EK over young guys like Jones or Foote (these guys are not elite blue chip defensive prospects IMO) would not be something I would advise.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Monster

His mobility has gotten worse the last couple of years. But he's still getting paid a lot so will play a lot in good opportunities. He can still fire the puck pretty well and distribute in offensive zone chances. I think he can produce something close to 40 points if he's somewhat healthy. Either slightly below or above. He had some nagging injuries last year but when he returned he played decently well. If you look at him as a 35 point guy who has the potential for 45, you probably won't be disappointed.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    There is no doubt that EK is not the player he was. Lets not forget how high he set the bar in his prime, like PPG high in 15-16. Honestly, I think EK can put up 40 points in his sleep even with the Sharks and I wouldn't bet against that floor for 2 or 3 more years barring injury. 45 would be just OK and 50 would not be unexpected whatsoever or an unreasonable expectation. If he has a good year and the Sharks youth takes a nice step EK can flirt with 55 - 60. He had a poor year last year but the previous 3 years he put up pts/gm of .87 .85 .71. In a CAP league EK's value is a bit concerning, well, a lot concerning and you hear that on the Forum all the time, rightfully so, but in your league that's not a concern and 50 pt+ Defencemen do not grow on trees. Not keeping EK over young guys like Jones or Foote (these guys are not elite blue chip defensive prospects IMO) would not be something I would advise.
    The stats show a steady decline underway. When he was putting up huge totals he was among the league leaders in blocks. Those days are long gone since his ankle surgery. He plays for a really bad team.
    You have a really stacked D corps for an 18-team league. I dont see EK ever being anything more than he is now. If thats good enough, keep him. I wouldnt keep those young guys you mentioned because they dont appear to be threats to develop into anything special.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    The stats show a steady decline underway. When he was putting up huge totals he was among the league leaders in blocks. Those days are long gone since his ankle surgery. He plays for a really bad team.
    You have a really stacked D corps for an 18-team league. I dont see EK ever being anything more than he is now. If thats good enough, keep him. I wouldnt keep those young guys you mentioned because they dont appear to be threats to develop into anything special.
    That's what I was thinking more or less.

All though, I do at least disagree about Jones. Right now he's the Rangers highest offensive ceiling LD and I think at least, has PP1, top 4 D potential That's going to be very difficult as long as he's with the Rangers, but they are almost certainly going to have to trade one or two of Jones, Miller, Lundkvist or Robertson. Fox and Schneider I think are the only two really untouchable young D for the Rangers. Yea, even Lundkvist, who is hyped beyond belief now, is probably not untouchable because he's so similar to Fox and he's not beating Fox, Trouba for the top 2 RD spots, and when Trouba is gone, Schneider almost certainly going to take his place. Which means Lundkvist really needs to transition to LD probably to have any future with the Rangers team, and then he will have to contest with Jones and Miller. And whomever they end up trading for will determine who they move. IE, if they wanted to try to land a young center like Turcotte or maybe Perfetti or whomever, Lundkvist would probably have to be part of the deal. If they resorted to Kupari or someone a bit lesser, probably Jones or Miller would be the price etc.. And I really do think Jones, often compared to a LD version of Fox, justifiably, could give him a run for his money. But more so, I think if Jones ends up getting traded, he has PP1 and top 4 D potential.

But yea, I see what you are saying about EK. All though, 40 points without blocks like he used to get, still probably puts him in the 175+ range for overall league player ranking. And I do worry about Mario Ferraro now, Merkley and then Burns obviously is still there.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Poor? Sure last year he was poor, but not the years before - he has a terrific year in ‘18/‘19 with the Sharks.

I’d easily keep him over the guys you mention.

Safe prediction: 40 points

My prediction: 49 points
    That's fair. All though, I can't seem to find his rating for the 18/19 season. But the 19/20 season he scored 40 points with 75 blocks, 13 ppp and ended up the 323rd overall ranked player in this league. Partly because of a poor +/-, which we've been trying to get the commish to get rid of, but he's reluctant now in our 14th season. So even with 40 points, his overall contribution is pretty low compared to guys that will probably be on the WW. While they won't score 40, they probably will contribute more across the board.

It's a tough call for me, but thanks. I do think he could reach the 40-49 point range as you suggest this year. But Ferraro, Merkley and Burns still worry me a bit. Especially with how good Ferraro looked last season, even on limited PP time.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.