Thread: Time to Trade Away Shesterkin?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Time to Trade Away Shesterkin?

Sometimes the stars align and your goaltending becomes a strength. The question I have: Is now a good time to deal from an area of strength or will this not be good for the future?

In a cap league and currently I have both Hellebuyck and Shesterkin as my goalies. Helley has 3 years on his contract and Shesterkin has 4. Normally I would never trade one of these guys, but with only being able to start one goalie at a time; I am thinking that it would be a waste to have one sitting on the bench for so much of the year. I am worried I will start to alternate starts and miss those important shutouts or my choice of goalie will be wrong. I would rather have one stud and ride him and put another goalie in when the stud is resting.

So do I try to trade one away to bolster my lineup? Do I stand pat and keep them both in case one bombs or get hurts?

I also feel like I should get a good haul for one of these goalies so if I can't I won't trade one cheap.

Thanks for the thoughts.
    Salary Cap League - 13 Teams
    Cap: 83.5 Million
    Roster: 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 C, 2 Wing, 1 Forward, 4 D, 1 G, 5 Bench, 7 Farm
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

C: Crosby, Pavelski
    F: Mercer
    LW: Guentzel, Kaprizov
    RW: Kucherov, Marchessault
    W: E. Kane, Perron
    D: Q Hughes, Bouchard, Addison, Sandin
    G: Shesterkin
    Bench: Raanta, Rossi, Guhle, Garland

Farm: Soderstrom

Free Agents: Maccelli, Newhook, Gudas, Carrier, Kyrou, Gustafsson

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Time to Trade Away Shesterkin?

As with any trade, it depends on the return. Never hurts to toss them both out on the block and see what offers roll in.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Wizard

move away from Igor sounds like you think he is going to suck or something...i think he is just getting better and better...i think if you trade him now you wont get full value as i think he can be top 3 goalie in year or 2. However, as Eskimo said, it really depends on what you can get back, i would be looking for proven, young 80 points player at very least.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Administrator

Nothing wrong with looking around for trades but don't make a bad trade just to avoid a problem that might not even be a problem.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with the others that shopping them could net a good return, but having these 2 guys is a good kind of issue to have.

I did very well with a Hasek/Roy tandem in a weekly start 1 league for a long time. It was dynasty, but not a cap league.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Shesterkin and the Rangers are only going to get better. Right now, people are overestimating this Ranger team. As a Ranger fan, I don't really think they are ready to compete for a playoff spot, and if they do happen to make the playoffs, it will probably be a first round exist.

The team is WAY too young with most of it's key players still way too young. I think it's going to be at least 2-4 more years before this Ranger team starts really hitting its peak and stride. Laf, Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, Jones, Schneider, Robertson, Barron etc.. are all still too young and inexperienced and mostly not ready to hit their prime, some not even ready to play in the NHL. Kreider and Trouba are on terrible contracts, with a few years left of NMC, and I think they will be moved as soon as their NMC run out. But until then, there are no spots for some of their key young players, especially their young Dmen.

By the time this Ranger team is at their best, Kreider, Trouba, Zibby, Strome could all be gone. Even Panarin might be gone as his contract runs out after the 25-26 season and I don't see them re-signing them. And I really hope they don't end up signing Zibby for more than 4-5 years as anything more than that will probably hurt them in terms of cap space in the long run. Really, I wish they would only sign Zibby and/or Strome for 2 more seasons and hope Austin Matthews chooses to become a UFA in a few years, in which case, the Rangers would want that cap room to go after him.

But if you sold Shesterkin now, I think you would be selling him at LOW value. As hyped as you may think he is, he's not not his prime yet or the prime of that team. And his value will continue to rise IMO. When he reaches his prime and when this team is really ready to contend, I think he will be a top 5 goalie, easily. For fantasy and for NHL

So no, I woudn't really consider moving him unless you are getting ridiculous value, like what he would be worth down the road in his prime and when the Rangers are at their best.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

You have all echoed my thoughts and confirmed what I suspected. If I can't get a huge return then its a good problem to have. Looking at what teams in my league can offer, the best I could get might be a guy like Huberdeau for a couple of years. Not sure that this is worth it and also a tough deal to make for me in terms of money.

This will be a situation to revisit in a year or two and see what the value is then.
    Salary Cap League - 13 Teams
    Cap: 83.5 Million
    Roster: 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 C, 2 Wing, 1 Forward, 4 D, 1 G, 5 Bench, 7 Farm
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

C: Crosby, Pavelski
    F: Mercer
    LW: Guentzel, Kaprizov
    RW: Kucherov, Marchessault
    W: E. Kane, Perron
    D: Q Hughes, Bouchard, Addison, Sandin
    G: Shesterkin
    Bench: Raanta, Rossi, Guhle, Garland

Farm: Soderstrom

Free Agents: Maccelli, Newhook, Gudas, Carrier, Kyrou, Gustafsson

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Definitely best to have those 2 in net in case one guy falters, has a bad season or gets injured. Nothing worse than scrambling for a starter. You’d be wise to keep Shesty.