Thread: Thoughts on Marco Rossi?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Thoughts on Marco Rossi?

I've got two 1st round picks in my upcoming draft, 1st or 2nd (depending on the results of the lottery) and 7th, and I'm trying to decide who I want to take. Rossi is definitely one of, if not the, top candidates, but I've been seeing a lot speculation recently that he may not be an every day player for the Wild this season and that's kind of scaring me off a little. Is he worth the risk and I'm worrying over nothing or is he someone to stay away from or look to draft later?
    12-Team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (Salary cap for keepers only)

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 2G (6 BN, 6 IR+, 1 NA)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - S. Aho, M. Beniers, S. Crosby, B. Jenner, L. Stankoven
    LW - C. Caufield, J. Hughes, T. Moore, J. Slafkovsky, O. Tippett
    RW - D. Batherson, C. Keller, A. Lafreniere, S. Reinhart
    D - E. Bouchard, B. Dillon, M. Roy, M. Seider, C. York
    G - J. Binnington, J. Saros, J. Swayman

IR+: T. Demko, T. Hertl, K. Johnson, G. Landeskog, J. Trouba
    NA: B. Othmann

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Thoughts on Marco Rossi?

Look at what Zegras did last year with ANA. I think he's going to be in a similar situation.
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Star

There's only one question with Rossi's future and it is one that no one can answer: did his more-serious COVID case damage his body in some way that will permanently impair his performance. If we don't have that information, and he's ostensibly practicing hard and all that, the only logical presumption is that he's good to go.

He lost a year's development and has never had AHL time, so it makes sense that MN would want to ramp him up, get his confidence back, etc. Made to guess today, I'd say he gets some AHL time before hitting the NHL later in 2021. However, if he shows at camp that he belongs (and his always-the-hardest-worker personality type is one that suggests that he will try to do that), then I'd guess he starts with lower-line duty and rises through the year.

I'd go with Rossi as a high pick unless you are needing someone to perform fully all year, this year.

Dobber Sports Genius

I just don’t’ see a 5’9 and 185lb twenty-year-old rookie centre claiming the top C 20-minute-per-night role on the Minnesota Wild, regardless of how talented he is.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Veteran

People are really high on Boldy now, I wonder which of them is the more touted prospect at this point.
    Rossi's case is a little strange since he missed so much time with COVID.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I just don’t’ see a 5’9 and 185lb twenty-year-old rookie centre claiming the top C 20-minute-per-night role on the Minnesota Wild, regardless of how talented he is.
    Regardless of how talented he is huh?

One of the common misperceptions about Rossi is that because he's short that he's unable to win physical battles but I've heard excellent scouting sources like Will Scouch say that is simply not true because he's built like a bulldog. Who does he have to beat out for the job? Victor Rask? Joel Erikkson Ek? The lack of competition compared to his talent level is one of the reasons he's so highly regarded, because it wouldn't take much to get him all the way to the top line.

He's also been 100% cleared by medical professionals, has been training for weeks twice a day, and says that he feels like he's even better than before.

His condition was inflammation (Myocarditis). Inflammation is easy to diagnose, and easy to treat. If it were still present, there would be obvious signs.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

if its your team in sig, is he worth a keeper spot over Romanov/Blackwood/petersen/pionk?

i also see you are going very young guys in your team, and most of them have no peripherals (no hit, pim, blk, etc..). I don't think you are in contention so if you are to pick Rossi it would be to possibly keep him after the season.

As any rookie, i would expect, if he plays full time in NHL, at around 50 pts pace if all goes well. I wouldn't expect a 100 pts player right off the bat. Plus take into account he probably will provide no HITS, PIM or so.. which makes him likely to drop lower during the draft (you might be able to still pick him in 2nd round).
    Keep 6 - 14 team H2H Yahoo - Categories: G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG FW HIT BLK / GS W GAA SV% SHO
    C: T.Thompson, Aho
    LW: B.Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk
    RW:
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Mcavoy
    G:

Dobber Sports Ace

I would definitely drop Blackwood for him. Especially after reading Roos' article yesterday.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    Yup. He doesn’t turn 20 until next week and he is 5’9 transitioning from a boy body to a man body. There have not been many 20 year old centers to make a gigantic fantasy impact post lockout. I would play the odds and gamble that he will NOT have an outstanding fantasy year.

Don’t get me wrong. Talented player. Needs more time.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Superstar

One of the common misperceptions about Rossi is that because he's short that he's unable to win physical battles but I've heard excellent scouting sources like Will Scouch say that is simply not true because he's built like a bulldog. Who does he have to beat out for the job? Victor Rask? Joel Erikkson Ek? The lack of competition compared to his talent level is one of the reasons he's so highly regarded, because it wouldn't take much to get him all the way to the top line.

He's also been 100% cleared by medical professionals, has been training for weeks twice a day, and says that he feels like he's even better than before.

His condition was inflammation (Myocarditis). Inflammation is easy to diagnose, and easy to treat. If it were still present, there would be obvious signs.
    Yes. I have stated in other posts around here that Rossi could very well be the 1C in the early New Year. There is just no one in his way. That said, he had to bring it. No guarantees here but it's a bet that's worth taking IMO.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Sage

I would definitely drop Blackwood for him. Especially after reading Roos' article yesterday.
    Roos never mentioned that Blackwood had Covid last season which definitely impacted his season. Thanks for the previous post on Rossi.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    Look at what Zegras did last year with ANA. I think he's going to be in a similar situation.
    Agreed, anything above that is gravy.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Rossi is incredibly overhyped.

He could be an elite #1 C, no doubt about it. But he is currently being valued by most GMs it seems as an elite #1 C...
    And one that has already had close to a ppg season.

Dobber Sports Ace

Don't let Rossi's size or CV19 issues scare you. I think he will be a stud on an up and coming team. He's got all the attributes to be a real first line star. Yes, STAR. No guarantee, but I think he's worth any risk. But I think the real question is, would he break into your keepers? Because if not, I am not sure he's worth drafting. As good as I think he will be, this year might be more a learning curve. So that would be important for me in deciding.

Also, I don't know if you need 4 goalies. And I actually prefer Blackwood to Peterson long term. I would probably only keep 3 of them. But I am also not sure Romanov is worth keeping. I really love Romanov in NHL terms and think he will be a terrific defensive dman with SOME offensive upside, but not a ton. And I think in a league like that, you want to try to target and accumulate high scoring DMen who also contribute in hits and blocks, at least in terms of your keepers. So depending on who else you can draft, I might not keep 1 of Peterson or Blackwood and Romanov. If you get get a Dman with a higher offensive potential at least, like say Drysdale or a Lundkvist type, think it would be better than Romanov.

Please help with mine, thanks : https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...ty-Keeper-Help
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)