Thread: Commissioners Ghosting their league

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Commissioners Ghosting their league

We DO hold leaders to an equal or higher standard, and that’s probably a good thing. As you might guess, I live this in real life pretty much every day.

So if you’re a league commissioner, here’s some advice: Get a co-commish if you MIGHT ever need one. If you have real life issues, if you just can’t manage the three leagues that you’re running, if you just want out….. the WORST taste you can leave is by promising stuff then ghosting. Disappear. Don’t post. Don’t ask for help. Just nothing. Your GMs post, “Are you ok?” but then find you recruiting ON THIS SITE for their other league. Bad, bitter taste.

“Hey guys, I’m really sorry but this league has just gotten beyond me, and I’m not planning to renew it. If one of you wants to take it over, I’ll transfer commissioner status to you, but if no takers in 5 days, then at least you’ll all know, and be free to join elsewhere. Thanks and good luck to you all.”

WOULD THAT BE SO FREAKING HARD?!? Or, am I expecting too much from a “leader?”
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Commissioners Ghosting their league

Agreed. Seems like an easy solution. Unfortunately, common sense does not seem to be very prevalent in society these days

You should put that league in the rear view mirror Doc and be happy to be done with it. Commissioners like that make fantasy hockey incredibly frustrating and no fun for anybody.

That said, as a commissioner for two leagues I would like to take the time to complain about the same thing with some team owners. Having to babysit a handful of owners every year gets a little frustrating too. Chasing them down for entry fees right up until draft day gets old very quickly. How hard is it to just pay your league entry fees? You have all summer and into September to get it done. And if I do say so myself, I am a pro-active commish. I send e-mails and put up commish messages for months before the season starts.

Sigh. Well I gotta run. Back to my second job as babysitter. Gotta try and get in touch with a couple of owners for their league fees.... again.. While the rest of the league is forced to wait longer for the draft....
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Agreed. Seems like an easy solution. Unfortunately, common sense does not seem to be very prevalent in society these days

As a commissioner for two leagues I would like to take the time to complain about the same thing with team managers. Having to babysit a handful of owners every year gets a little frustrating too. Chasing them down for entry fees right up until draft day never seems to get old. How hard is it to just pay your league entry fees? You have all summer and into September to get it done. And I must say I am a pro-active commish. I send e-mails and put up commish messages for months before the season starts. Sigh. Well I gotta run. Time to try and get in touch with a couple of owners for their fees again......
    Not saying that some commish's haven't done this, but a lot and I mean a lot of poolers don't realize what the commish has to do / deal with from the GMs just to run a fun league. I think the time and effort a commish puts in is so underrated and even worse, unappreciated

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    Not saying that some commish's haven't done this, but a lot and I mean a lot of poolers don't realize what the commish has to do / deal with from the GMs just to run a fun league. I think the time and effort a commish puts in is so underrated and even worse, unappreciated

Amen brother

Arbitrating trade disputes, finding new league managers when people leave, notifying folks of illegal rosters, watching rosters while pool members go on vacation, fixing roster errors, chasing down entry fees, writing and posting commissioner messages, organizing draft times so everyone is available (so difficult), and on and on.

I get it, the commissioner is generally a volunteer position. In most cases the commssioner is simply the person who started the league. But that said, it does take an extraordinary amount of work to be a GOOD commissioner and all the work and hours they put in are ultimately for the enjoyment of everyone in the league.

Have you thanked your league commissioner lately?

If not maybe it is about time you do

In the infamous words of Ringo Starr,

Peace and love. Peace and love.

Wonko.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

The Great One

If there is one thing I've learned over the last 10 years of playing fantasy hockey, it is this: do not join a league that is run by one person. It's a recipe for disaster.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

100 percent true.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    If there is one thing I've learned over the last 10 years of playing fantasy hockey, it is this: do not join a league that is run by one person. It's a recipe for disaster.
    ...unless that person goes by the handle "The Comish" because you know you can trust that. Plus, my recipes for disaster are quite delicious.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    ...unless that person goes by the handle "The Comish" because you know you can trust that. Plus, my recipes for disaster are quite delicious.
    Stop ghosting leagues

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Stop ghosting leagues
    You're not my fantasy hockey supervisor!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    Agree..

My home football league has a bunch of 35 year olds who have been friends for 30 years. There were a couple problem members who would complain and nitpick about every single detail. Last season I told them it would be my last as commissioner because I didn't have time to deal with those guys. I recommended that they take over as commish but they both refused. This past offseason I reaffirmed how serious I was by not reopening the league. Eventually someone else stepped up and is now the commish. It needed to be done. But I obviously would never do that midseason.

And yes those kind of members can realllllllly be time consuming. They're definitely important because they do bring up great points sometimes. But it was becoming a full time job.

Administrator

When I was at the end of high school and early university I was commish of a league. Back then sim leagues were fun but they were A LOT of work due to the lack of technology available. I was also young and not as fit to handle all the drama. No longer interested in being commissioner.

I tend to become co-commish whenever I join dynasty leagues because I know how to figure out problems and I can do all of the behind-the-scenes work in Yahoo/Fantrax. I end up leaving those leagues when they're not operating up to my standards. Nothing against them, just differences in opinion on how things should be done.

I definitely see both sides here. I've lived through both.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

To be fair, I never wanted to have “sides” here. I’ve been a commish, and yes it’s work. (Less than surgery, though…). All I was saying was that communication and respect is one of the commitments that you CHOOSE upon being a leader in any realm. Ghosting - I haven’t “outed” the person on this Dobber Forum site, that’s not respect. But if a simple league-forum call for help had come instead of silence??
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Funny ghosting your league story.

Our fantasy baseball league had a commish (will call him Kevin) ghost the league and also and his job, by leaving his ID badge on his desk on a Friday, no notice but I do think he left an I quit letter. This guy was a senior accountant at a division of a very large company, and it was a work league. He luckily was NOT the treasurer. I got both the commish duties and some work duties.

A buddy of mine ended up joining a league later, and needed me to cover a draft for him. One of the things to be decided was who the new treasurer would be, and there were two candidates. My buddy had no clue who was better, but figured the accounting/mortgage guy was the right choice. When I went to do so, and saw this clown. He was the accounting/mortgage guy who was mentioned, and I texted my buddy and told him I cannot in good conscience vote for him, and told him who Kevin was ( he already knew the story). I asked him to text me that he wanted to vote for the other guy.

When the vote came up, I said the franchise would be voting for the other candidate, and Kevin said that the actual owner told him he had his vote. I said, I have texted him for clarifcation, and I have a reply telling me to vote for (other guy). A stink was raised, and I said, if that won't be allowed the franchise will abstain, as I am NOT voting for you for any position of responsibility for anything - EVER. You know why, I know why, and if you want everyone else to know why, I will be happy to share that information. He threatened me, I told him we can go outside as I'm not punching you out here, and I really don't want to waste time dealing with this crap, but I'm not going to have a league with a friend take a chance where you'll bail on the league suddenly, and not contact anyone.

He won the vote anyway. The league ended up folding a few years down the road, since they were behind on paying out winnings - shocker.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.