Thread: Cap League - Binnington vs Mrazek vs Anderson vs more

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Cap League - Binnington vs Mrazek vs Anderson vs more

Hey goalie lovers

League follows same cap structure as the real-deal - so 81.5mil. Catch is you are obliged (stuck) with the contract length as well...

Can roster only one goalie at a time (strategy is to either have 2 starters or 1 starter and 2 decent backups)

How would you rank the following. Consider the cap implications as higher cap hits hit hard in other areas where sacrifices have to be made.

Binnington - 6mil x 6yrs
    Mrazek - 3.8mil x 3yrs
    Ullmark - 5mil x 4yrs
    Andersen - 4.5mil x 2yrs
    Smith - 2.2mil x 2yrs

Wins = 2pt
    SO = pt
    saves = 0.1pt
    GA = -1pt

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Cap League - Binnington vs Mrazek vs Anderson vs more

Andersen- gets you the best combination of value for expected stats as well as some flexibility with the term of the contract.
    Binnington- I don't like the term but you can't argue that the team around him looks solid and projects fairly well over the next few years, he also doesn't have much competition
    Mrazek- I don't really care for him but I like the uncertainty surrounding Ullmark's situation in Boston even less
    Ullmark- I really want to believe he can be the guy but at that price and term I'd rather wait and see first
    Smith- Not bad if you also get Andersen or Binnington and just want to add a little insurance
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Titan

I'll take Ullmark of that set. Shout get the most volume with a good team, and he's cheaper than Binner.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'll take Ullmark of that set. Shout get the most volume with a good team, and he's cheaper than Binner.
    How do you feel about the contract value, I'm curious? I think in a non-cap league or even one that doesn't require a term commitment, I would be right there with you but at a just a mil below Binnington I'm reluctant to make that leap with what I feel is an insufficient sample size especially given the state of the Bruins. They look to be angling slightly downwards over the next 3 years with some of their key players already aged into the back half of their careers.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports All-Star

Ullmark
    Binnington/Andersen
    Mrazek
    Smith (huge value and don’t see anybody in his way)

above is in order of who I think/guess will get more wins. Like I said, Smith is the wildcard.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    How do you feel about the contract value, I'm curious? I think in a non-cap league or even one that doesn't require a term commitment, I would be right there with you but at a just a mil below Binnington I'm reluctant to make that leap with what I feel is an insufficient sample size especially given the state of the Bruins. They look to be angling slightly downwards over the next 3 years with some of their key players already aged into the back half of their careers.
    I'm comfortable with him. He was actually really good in Buffalo last year. Imagine him with a solid team in front of him. Binnington also comes apart after about game 30 every season (approx the midpoint of a full slate).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

How many teams and what are roster sizes/start requirements?

Rostering 3 goalies with a 81.5M cap seems crazy to me, unless the league is somewhat shallow.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    How many teams and what are roster sizes/start requirements?

Rostering 3 goalies with a 81.5M cap seems crazy to me, unless the league is somewhat shallow.
    It's deep. 13 teams. 9 forwards (matching yahoo positions), 5 D, a bench of 6, farm team, etc.

In order to reach your 82 games for goalies you need two starters, or a super-starter (Vas) + a 1b or backup goalie. Most real NHL teams are going tandems...so you need at least 2 goalies. Usually your 3rd is a cheap EL goalie (Knight) or a cheap backup (Francouz).

Dobber Sports Ace

Being stuck with the contract length, I would prefer the shorter term deals, given the volatility of the position.

Andersen - 4.5mil x 2yrs: Strong team, clear starter over Raanta IMO
    Smith - 2.2mil x 2yrs: No competition, weakest division in the league (outside of Vegas, who are you going to be worried about playing Smith against in that division?)

Mrazek - 3.8mil x 3yrs: I guess... Campbell isn't a proven commodity, and Toronto is a strong regular season team. If he's the 1B in that tandem, he'll have good value.

Ullmark - 5mil x 4yrs: Good team, paid to be the starter. No, needs to prove it.

Binnington - 6mil x 6yrs: Personal preference is that I don't like allocating a lot of my cap league funds to goalies, and I'm not sure how well St. Louis really stacks up in the Central these days. Throw in the six year term, and I'm avoiding at all costs.