Thread: Unused cap space for regular season

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Unused cap space for regular season

what is the best site for a salary cap fantasy hockey league that carries over unused cap from the draft into the regular season?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Unused cap space for regular season

Do you mean an auction league where you have salary costs that aren't tied to the NHL, or one where you have a cap tied to actual NHL costs?

I know Fantrax handles the latter fine, and while I'd expect they can handle the former, I'm not 100% sure of that.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Do you mean an auction league where you have salary costs that aren't tied to the NHL, or one where you have a cap tied to actual NHL costs?

I know Fantrax handles the latter fine, and while I'd expect they can handle the former, I'm not 100% sure of that.
    Yes and no. Both Yahoo and ESPN have limited salary cap based leagues, where the draft is an auction based draft. Our issue is that we want to be able to use the remaining cap money (per team) from the draft and then tie it into the regular season for trades, waiver claims, etc.

For example; 12 team league, all the teams have equal amount of cap space (for ease, lets use $200/per team). Team 1 has $50 remaining from the draft, we are looking for a site that takes the remaining $50 for Team 1 (example) and rolls that into the regular season. That way the remaining money is cap space to retain better, higher priced contracts through a trade or implement some of that money goes towards any waiver claims (say 25 cents per claim). Not sure if there is any site out there that does this. Seems as though only football based cap sites do.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Brettsky3 View Post
    Yes and no. Both Yahoo and ESPN have limited salary cap based leagues, where the draft is an auction based draft. Our issue is that we want to be able to use the remaining cap money (per team) from the draft and then tie it into the regular season for trades, waiver claims, etc.

For example; 12 team league, all the teams have equal amount of cap space (for ease, lets use $200/per team). Team 1 has $50 remaining from the draft, we are looking for a site that takes the remaining $50 for Team 1 (example) and rolls that into the regular season. That way the remaining money is cap space to retain better, higher priced contracts through a trade or implement some of that money goes towards any waiver claims (say 25 cents per claim). Not sure if there is any site out there that does this. Seems as though only football based cap sites do.
    Fantrax will allow you to use Free Agent Acquisition Budget (FAAB). That should allow you to do what you want to do. I don't know if it's available in their free leagues or only in their premium ones though.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brettsky3 View Post

Okay, I understand now. I'd call that an auction league, not a salary cap league.

Since Fantrax has a FAAB system, they should be able to handle it, but you'll need to check. If this was a football league, I'd have an answer for you, but that site only does football.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

I am in three fantrax fantasy hockey leagues than use FAAB. And yes, the unused money after our UFA and RFA auctions can be spent throughout the season on WW claims or in trades. One of this leagues also allows trading of cap space, if that's your thing.