Thread: Malkin?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Malkin?

1. Any updates on Malkin's recovery?
    2. Where would you feel good about drafting him in Standard Roto's? (ex. round 5-6?)

Thanks

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Malkin?

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    1. Any updates on Malkin's recovery?
    2. Where would you feel good about drafting him in Standard Roto's? (ex. round 5-6?)

Thanks
    I don't think you're going to see an answer to #1 until camp opens and beat writers can observe him. He went to a soccer game in Russia a day or two ago and he took a picture of himself standing in an elevator. So he can stand up, at least.

As to the second, if there is no news about an injury, he's probably a guy who'll be drafted between 40th and 50th overall, I'd think, depending on league categories.

Dobber Sports Padawan

He’d have to fall pretty far for me to take the chance on him personally. With a possible late start, very possible additional injuries through the remainder of the season, and overall declining production as the wear and tear on his body adds up into his mid 30’s, I’m not comfortable depending on him. Maybe if he fell to the 5th round or something I’d think about it. Even then I just flat out don’t trust him to be healthy when it counts.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Novice

I'll use this thread for another Malkin question. It's a partial keeper but can be considered as a 1 year league.

Categories are:
    G A +/-PIM SOG GWG PPP Hit Blk Tk FOW

16 x 5 keepers (under 25 yo) have been picked. We are now on the 4th round. 135 players picked already when you count keepers.

Would you pick Malkin over guys like:

A) Pietroangelo
    B) Ekblad
    C) Schenn (C,LW)
    D) Hertl
    E) Gallagher
    F) Toffoli

I'm a contender this year. So would mostly need him late this season. Just not sure if I can trust him to be healthy when needed. Thoughts?
    16 team H2H each cat, partial keeper for players under 25 years in June
    4C, 4RW, 4LW, 4D, 2G, 6 Bench

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, FOW, Hits, Blocks
    W, SV, SO, GAA, SV%

5 keepers under 25 (June 1st). I have Svechnikov 19, Zadina 20, Comtois 21, Provorov 23, Pastrnak 24, Kase 24

G: Shesterkin, Saros
    D: Carlson, Fox (K)
    C: Trocheck
    LW: Ovie, Huberdeau, Kaprizov (K), Farabee (K), Gurianov (K)
    RW: Svechnikov (K)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In H2H, if a team can make playoffs - and have Malkin for that... he's a 60-80 range player.
    In Roto, where you are waiting for him to get back.. can IR him... but not sure how long he's out... probably 110-130 range player.

I'm not a big fan in believing age 32+ year old players can skate with the kids... when the older player has had extended time off.
    In these COVID times, I just have to imagine players (like people) are sort of hermiting-up... not really pushing themselves into that same (no worry) conditioning they used to do.

I mean... Malkin is 35 years old.

Hesitancy makes people stale and sluggish.
    Who knows where Malkin is these days... I'm not taking that risk.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Penguins general manager Ron Hextall said Evgeni Malkin, who is recovering from offseason knee surgery, is not going to play for at least the first two months.
    — Pens Inside Scoop (@PensInsideScoop) September 23, 2021.

Out for a minimum of 27 games if Hextall's tweet holds true, probably more if he's out 2 months and has to get in game shape. I'll guess he's out the first half of the season.

Dobber Sports Genius

If you get him in the late rounds then it’s a win but with his situation right now it’s not worth it. 27 games is a lot not to mention conditioning and the possibility of other related or non related injuries. It might end up being more than that.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent