Thread: Drop 1 for cap space

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Drop 1 for cap space

Hey! Wondering who you would drop out of these guys for cap space.

Keep all dynasty counting Goals, Assists, Points and +/-. Farm team doesn't count against cap until put on roster. Some will have to be brought up after my drops. More than $18M over cap as of right now. We will have a 5 round draft for free agents soon.

Fiala
    Bjorkstrand
    Garland
    Konecny
    Sergachev

---------------------------------

Complete team (bolded are already drops and still need more room)

Forwards : Leon Draisatl, Mika Zibanejad, Andrei Svechnikov, Jake Guentzel, Kevin Fiala, Kailer Yamamotto (rfa), Oliver Bjorkstrand, Kyle Connor, Conor Garland, Travis Konecny, Anthony Beauvillier (rfa), Alexandre Texier, Jordan Kyrou, Nikolaj Ehlers, Alex DeBrincat

Defensemen : Adam Fox, Filip Hronek (rfa), John Carlson, Ty Smith, Mikhail Sergachev, John Marino, Erik Gustafsson (ufa)

Goalies : Philipp Grubauer, Cal Petersen, Pavel Francouz

Farm : Anton Lundell, Mavrik Bourque, Noel Gunler, Brendan Brisson, Juuso Välimki, Peyton Krebs, Ryan Merkley, Philip Tomasino, Vasily Podkolzin, Alex Turcotte, Erik Brännström, Luke Hughes, Fabian Lysell, Jesper Wallstedt, Aatu Räty, Scott Morrow, Ayrton Martino

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Drop 1 for cap space

Guys like Bjorkstrand, Konecny, and Garland are exactly the kinds of guys you want to keep in cap leagues at all costs. Signed for term early at a good cap hit before they have broken out--in a year or two, all of those players will have immense value at their less than 6 M cap hits.

I'd drop Fiala.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Would it be crazy to cut Andrei Svechnikov?

I mean, most of these guys are 60-80 points players. Svech might have the potential to hit 80 with more ease based on talent, but he was pretty inconsistant in terms of which center he played with. Sometimes Aho, sometimes Staal. He did sign an extention that guarentees what he'll earn for the next 7 years, but it's above what Fiala, Bjorkstrand, Garland or Konecny is making. These guys will give you 60-80 points too, probably more often in the 60ish range. But at 2 to 3M cheaper.

Also, I'd rather have Connor or Ehlers in that range right now.

Bjorkstrand had the least PP time and PP production last year. Columbus might not be an offensive force this year again with yet few options up front. He'd be my other cut.

Beyond that, roll a dice. All these guys have potential.

With the blue line you have, and the need for 4D to score points, I wouldn't drop Sergachev.

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, ?, ?
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, ?, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Klingb Brannstrom Bean Peru Soderstrom Clarke
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Huberdeau Zucc Giroux Quinn Couture Hartman Bjorkstrand Wheeler Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Mangiapane Brink Guenther Poulin Perreault Cristall Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Zero question for me, I'm dropping Fiala.. those other contracts are very nice and long term, whereas if Fiala tears it up, then he's looking at 7-8 million long term.. I rather go for the contracts that are already set in stone like SilkySmooth mentions.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Short answer... Yes it is crazy to drop Svechnikov... 8x7.75M is gonna become one of the better contracts in the league. I'd drop Fiala as he's gonna be making quite a bit after his year long contract (in the range of 6M-7.5M imo). Other option would Bjorkstrand because of Columbus things.
    Quote Originally Posted by lusshouse View Post
    Would it be crazy to cut Andrei Svechnikov?

I mean, most of these guys are 60-80 points players. Svech might have the potential to hit 80 with more ease based on talent, but he was pretty inconsistant in terms of which center he played with. Sometimes Aho, sometimes Staal. He did sign an extention that guarentees what he'll earn for the next 7 years, but it's above what Fiala, Bjorkstrand, Garland or Konecny is making. These guys will give you 60-80 points too, probably more often in the 60ish range. But at 2 to 3M cheaper.

Also, I'd rather have Connor or Ehlers in that range right now.

Bjorkstrand had the least PP time and PP production last year. Columbus might not be an offensive force this year again with yet few options up front. He'd be my other cut.

Beyond that, roll a dice. All these guys have potential.

With the blue line you have, and the need for 4D to score points, I wouldn't drop Sergachev.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the input. I was leaning Fiala and this confirms it for me.

I agree with Paches6767 that it is kinda crazy to let Svechnikov go with the contract he signed as it will be a great contract sooner rather than later in my opinion.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Veteran

If you can trade Svech for a great return it might be worth it, but I'd drop Fiala. He's not going to outproduce his price by much this year, and he'll probably get even more money next year. I like him, but he's really streaky and it sucks to rely on his production when he's slumping.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Fiala is the drop for me.
    He's close to his UFA years... and so he's likely to be looking for $6m+ money going forward.

Your other forwards (Konecny, Bjorkstrand, Garland) will definitely give you more than 10pts per $1m salary.
    So they are keeps.

I'm not certain Fiala will do 10pts per million once he gets his UFA contract.

Serg is probably giving you 48pts on his $4.8m... but he may be a $7.5m D-man come his summer 2023.
    So you may want to look to trade him during next two years - but he's good keep value this year and next.