Thread: Draft Tomorrow! Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Draft Tomorrow! Thoughts?

I know this is a difficult thread, but I want to be as prepared as possible for trends/runs in my draft tomorrow. I'm in a 12 team, keep 4 PPR league, so most of the top 48 players (aside from rookies) are off the board. I have a late 1st (9th), an early 2nd, and then a smattering of late 3rd and 4th round picks. I can't figure out if I should be doing everything possible to use those extra 3rd and 4ths to trade up, or whether they'll be worth holding (they are 7 and 8 round equivalents). Here's my situation...QB/2RB/3WR/FLEX/DST/K

My keepers are CMC, Chubb, Justin Jefferson, and Terry McLaurin. In a 3 WR + full flex league, it feels like the earlier I can add one more high end WR, the better. Here are the best players available by position...

QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Justin Herbert (Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Dak kept)
    RB: Najee, James Robinson, Javonte Williams, Kareem Hunt, Myles Gaskin, Mike Davis, Damien Harris, Michel/Henderson, Mostert
    WR: Robert Woods, Lockett, DJ Moore, Aiyuk, Higgins, Golladay, Sutton, OBJ, JUJU, Robby Anderson, Jeudy, Claypool, Chase, etc
    TE: Andrews, Hockenson, Pitts, Fant, etc

- I have a deal on the table where I give up an extra 3rd and 4th to move up from the 9th overall pick to the 4th overall pick. Najee is obviously first, and I've heard Mike Davis may go second. So, at 4, I get the option to take Robinson, Woods, Kyler, or Andrews. Or, I can keep the extra picks and take someone solid who falls to 9.

Any general thoughts here are appreciated:

- There's only 4 relevant QBs left. Do I need to take one by my second round pick? I have about 20 picks between my early 2nd and late 3rd.

- Do I grab a RB early, even though I have two already, because the drop off is so quick and steep?

- Do I go WR early to give myself a solid five player start? I could move up to 4 and nearly guarantee myself Robert Woods, who seems to be a notch above the other options on most ranks.

Thanks so much! I will rep every solid thought that I can.

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Draft Tomorrow! Thoughts?

I'll offer something, but I'm doing my first fantasy football league this year so can take this with a grain of salt.

For flex you'd want the highest point getter (which is usually QB). So your needs are QB:2 RB:0 WR: 1 to fill out your main roster.
    So that's probably how I'd start/look at it.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Immortal

Is this regular flex or super flex? Super flex meaning you can start a QB there like Invictus says...

Dobber Sports Sage

I took 'full flex league' to mean super ??
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I took 'full flex league' to mean super ??
    Sorry, I must have misspoke with my terminology. This is NOT a super flex. Only one QB.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I definitely would not make that trade.

As for the draft, definitely take Kyler if he falls to you at 9 (unlikely).
    Otherwise I'd give serious consideration to taking a tight end in this spot Pitts, Andrews, Hockenson in that order.
    Failing that I'd try to get Aiyuk or Lockett if available.
    I would target a QB with the second rounder. Herbert, Rodgers, or Wilson in that order.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by WeissAsNice View Post
    Sorry, I must have misspoke with my terminology. This is NOT a super flex. Only one QB.
    Thought so.

OK I do like Kyler if he makes it to you.

If not I would take your best RB or WR remaining. The TEs are ok but I hate reaching on this middle tier who have barely ever even produced, or haven't at all in Pitts case.

I'd rank them...

Woods
    Moore
    Aiyuk
    Robinson
    Kyler
    Lockett
    Claypool

Andrews
    Pitts
    Hock

So the draft just ended, and I just checked back here. Looks like I did a mix of what was recommended by SC and HR. I was not able to move up in the draft, and Kyler didn't fall, so I was left with a mix of the rest. I ended up taking DJ Moore after missing out on my Woods target by about 3 picks. By the time I was up in the second round, all the elite QBs on my list were gone except for Russ, so I took him and feel good about it. The rest of the draft was picking up some decent WR/RB depth, and I used a few of those extra fourths to pick up a 2nd rounder next year. Team is...

QB: Russell Wilson, Baker Mayfield
    RBs: CMC, Chubb, Gordon III, Jamaal Williams, Hubbard
    WRs: Jefferson, Terry McLaurin, DJ Moore, Juju, Sutton
    TEs: Goedert, Ebron

Missed a few targets I wanted. A little finagling and I could've maybe grabbed Woods and then I had a shot at Mike Davis and Andrews in the 2nd round but felt if I missed Russ, my QB situation was going to be a mess. Wasn't perfect, but I think I've got a 12 team league contender for sure. Hope my Moore 1st rounder works out. Pitts actually went 3rd overall and almost every else wanted him.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Looks good to me. Maybe if DJ starts out hot you can try to sell him since you already have CMC and I hate that combo of RB/WR on the same team. And just keep an eye out for TE down the road and you'll be fine.

As for Pitts. A podcast I listen said something like he'd have to have the best TE rookie season of all time to return justifiable value at his draft position. So while having the breakout is nice, you never want to have to pay for it in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Looks good to me. Maybe if DJ starts out hot you can try to sell him since you already have CMC and I hate that combo of RB/WR on the same team. And just keep an eye out for TE down the road and you'll be fine.

As for Pitts. A podcast I listen said something like he'd have to have the best TE rookie season of all time to return justifiable value at his draft position. So while having the breakout is nice, you never want to have to pay for it in the draft.
    I agree with you about the RB/WR combo. I think my biggest fear is actually RB. Gordon and Williams may not start after the first few weeks. Hopefully CMC and Chubb can stand strong.

Interesting about Pitts. Since this is a keeper league, I think a lot of people wanted the next elite, every-year keeper TE. But I agree - wasn't even sure I'd take him if he fell to 9.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by WeissAsNice View Post
    I agree with you about the RB/WR combo. I think my biggest fear is actually RB. Gordon and Williams may not start after the first few weeks. Hopefully CMC and Chubb can stand strong.

Interesting about Pitts. Since this is a keeper league, I think a lot of people wanted the next elite, every-year keeper TE. But I agree - wasn't even sure I'd take him if he fell to 9.
    Ya it would be nice to have but realistically how many TEs are kept aside from Kelce? Last year maybe Kittle. This year maybe Waller was. Otherwise I can't think of many over the last 5 seasons. Did someone reach early a couple seasons ago for Hockenson?

All food for thought.

Dobber Sports Titan

Well lets see the draft!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll