Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Rebuilding

Salary cap league. I've just taken over a team and I'm at the beginning of a rebuild. Would you trade Johnny Gaudreau for Nick Robertson, 2nd 2022, 4th 2022 and a 5th 2023?

I feel like I'm not getting enough value here but wanted more opinions.

Stats we track are: G,A, PPP, SHP, Hits, Blks, Takeaways, TOISH

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Rebuilding

I don’t think that’s enough for Gaudreau. It’s a no for me. How many teams?

Dobber Sports Wizard

If u rebuilding u need first rounders for your stars…preferably first rounders that have chance of being lottery picks
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Veteran

Not close. Guys like Johnny should return a 1st rounder and another prospect or young player with potential.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd want better prospects as the headliners. If you can get a 1st that has a good chance to be high, that's great, but those picks aren't going to do much.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

No. I would need AT LEAST N. Robertson & a 1st 2022 + another pick or prospect for Johnny. Like mentioned before you don't want to trade your stars aways without getting 1st round picks back. The 4th and 5th are just filler no real value to a proper rebuilder

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd want more but just like in real life you are kind of selling low on Gaudreau right now.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Dover View Post
    I don’t think that’s enough for Gaudreau. It’s a no for me. How many teams?
    20 teams.
    12 team true dynasty auction league ($60m team cap). Roster max 80. Start 2 G, 6 D, 12 F.

G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, HT, OG, Hits, Blocks, SG
    W, OW, OL, SHO

Forwards (of note); Atkinson, Backstrom, Barkov, Brassard, Coleman, Copp, Giroux, Guentzel, Iafallo, P. Kane, Kerfoot, Kopitar, Konecny, Laughton, MacKinnon, Meier, Necas, Pavelski, Stastny, Stone, Toffoli, White

Defensemen; Beaulieu, Farrance, Fowler, Goligoski, Hakanpaa, Q.Hughes, Josi, Klingberg, Lehtonen, Martinez, McNabb, Montour, Ristolainen, Shattenkirk, Tuomisto, Weegar, Yandle, Zboril

Goalies; Bishop, Dostal, Driedger, Elliott, Khudobin, McElhinney, Mrazek, Samsonov, Sogaard, Vasilevsky

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Not close. Guys like Johnny should return a 1st rounder and another prospect or young player with potential.
    Agree with this, a 1st is good but having a top prospect coming back is something solid you can build around. Good luck.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Sophomore

What about Nick Robertson, Rudolfs Balcers, 1st 2023? Probably wonÂ’t be a lottery pick.

Bit betterÂ…?

Administrator

This is why you shouldn't do rebuilds

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    This is why you shouldn't do rebuilds
    Me or in general?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MCARTER82 View Post
    Me or in general?
    In general.

The issue is the rebuild mindset puts you in a bad spot for trades. You have to unload anyone with talent to collect assets for the future and you have to do it now because you want a more favorable spot in the standings. It becomes the equivalent of a cap dump trade which should be a last resort. It also goes against the classic (and successful) strategy of strategically buying low and selling high. Gaudreau's value is not at its peak right now. Timing matters.

There's no imaginary gun pointed at you forcing you to dump players now. Your assets belong to you. Take advantage of your situation.

The other problem: the more time you spend mulling over bad scenarios, the more likely you are to talk yourself into making bad decisions.

Summary - rebuild mindset
    -Must sell and must sell now (even if return is bad)
    -Ignore good trades because it might compromise your spot in the standings
    -Losing mentality (I just can't do it)

My preferred approach (applies to rebuilds and contending)
    -Strategically buy low and sell high. Focus on building assets. Doesn't have to be picks and prospects.
    -Draft really well and learn how it all fits in the bigger picture that is your league.
    -Move forward, one base hit at a time. You'll hit a few homeruns along the way. Be opportunistic.

*Everything I outlined works for contenders and rebuilders. If the team is contending there's more focus on win-now additions. If the team is farther away from winning there's more freedom to get creative. Also, "moving forward, one base hit at a time" can mean different things based on your current state.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. You can do whatever you want with this information.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

In general.

The issue is the rebuild mindset puts you in a bad spot for trades. You have to unload anyone with talent to collect assets for the future and you have to do it now because you want a more favorable spot in the standings. It becomes the equivalent of a cap dump trade which should be a last resort. It also goes against the classic (and successful) strategy of strategically buying low and selling high. Gaudreau's value is not at its peak right now. Timing matters.

There's no imaginary gun pointed at you forcing you to dump players now. Your assets belong to you. Take advantage of your situation.

The other problem: the more time you spend mulling over bad scenarios, the more likely you are to talk yourself into making bad decisions.

-Strategically buy low and sell high. Focus on building assets. Doesn't have to be picks and prospects.
    -Draft really well and learn how it all fits in the bigger picture that is your league.
    -Move forward, one base hit at a time. You'll hit a few homeruns along the way. Be opportunistic.

*Everything I outlined works for contenders and rebuilders. If the team is contending there's more focus on win-now additions. If the team is farther away from winning there's more freedom to get creative. Also, "moving forward, one base hit at a time" can mean different things based on your current state.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. You can do whatever you want with this information.
    Thanks so much, Eric, I love this insight and information. Much appreciated.

Thanks to all who responded. I repped where I could.

Dobber Sports Wizard

In general.

rebuilds can be done quite successfully u just need right formula and lots of self control…but I’m on my 3 rd full rebuild ( all in different leagues) and first 2 I’m winning championships now….3 rd one should be close to be completed and got makings of being my best yet
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones