Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Pengwin7's COVID Info/Advice/Links

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Pengwin7's COVID Info/Advice/Links

For those of you with kids... (and those of you that interact with people with kids)... about to send your kids back after Labour Day:

Read it:
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...eeks-1.5570853

These numbers are crazy. Bad. Real.
    The number of kids testing positive in US one week:
    8,500: One week in July
    200,000: Week of Aug 19-26 (the week my daughters got COVID)

*Also, based on how little the symptoms can APPEAR in strong-children... the number of kids that actually HAD COVID... I'd estimate... 3x-5x as many. Because many parents are NOT catching their kids symptoms. Because the symptoms are sometimes only apparent in kids for 1 or 2 days (or a morning!). Parents should be cautiously NOT sending their kids in if there's the slightest symptom. The spreading wouldn't be so bad. But sometimes, in kids, symptoms might look/sound like "I don't want to go to school today" or a "My throat is itchy" or a "My head hurts"... and working parent says "I can't miss work today - please go in and do your best."

We (as the ****ing adults) owe it to our kids to not be spreading this shit down to them.
    They're effin kids. They can't even get vaccinated yet (if age 11 or younger).
    Once they get it into their schools... around it goes... back up and out to families.
    And cycle to next school district. And over to the next one.
    (Because ye adults probably work with adults with kids in a neighboring school district)
    We... are doing it. We are pissing and shitting in our drinking water here.

Put your ****ing masks on. Good ones. Great masks.
    And don't send your kid into school if they even *might* seem the *littlest* sick/off.
    This is what we, as parents (friends of parents) can do.

[Kid masks are not great. I've looked at them all... so it's getting out and around kid masks. Note this. Mask mandates help, great, yes... but kids masks - generally speaking - are shit. Kids masks won't do enough to stop the spread. So it's on the adults to stop the spread mostly... and on those parents to not send their kids in and contribute.]

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Aug 27map

3 weeks later

Sep 17map (today)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Aug 27map

3 weeks later

Sep 17map (today)
    They're going to have to change the colour designations again lol.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

I take it your daughter and the rest of the family got through it okay?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yes, we feel OK/normal.

Spending two weeks at home with two kids, two full-time working parents... and still trying to teach the school's curriculum to our children was the biggest repercussion.
    Our local people's disregard for taking precautions to stop this spread probably set our kids behind this year's learning pace.
    Kids that fall behind pace in school sometimes never catch up.

That is very frustrating for my wife and I.

Dobber Sports Sage

As far as limiting the spread, letting kids back to school just seemed like a disaster idea.
    Online classes were big here, but I don't know how well they worked. Kids need to live and learn.
    So let them go to class taking precautions?, but realize likelihood of spread is pretty likely.

I don't really have an answer here, but I think this virus is never going away and it will just be like the common flu.
    Just glad that I live in a place that's covid free and have property to not be a prisoner in my own home.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm going to drop this info here.

I just received a new unsolicited cloth mask in the mail from Doctors Without Borders as part of a donation drive. It's got a spot where I think you can use a filter. If you get mail from them, open it up. It has some general good advice in the mailer as well.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Pengwin7 in your travels have you stumbled across a case map for Canada that's updated, like the one you posted for USA?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

This is the site I've found and liked best for Canada COVID numbers:
    https://resources-covid19canada.hub.arcgis.com/

[One of my favourite things is the "daily cases"... which shows people tend to get tested on Monday - largest daily "spike". Then a huge drop, slowly rising numbers from Tuesday, slowly rising on Wed, Thu, Fri... then the weekend is "no checking, hang out time"... until people realize again on Monday that they might have something. A bit of pattern amongst human behaviour and self-check. If you're gonna call in sick... do it on Monday after a weekend of being too social, eh!?]

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Above: USA 7-day trend map from Aug.30
    Below: USA 7-day trend map from yesterday, Oct.6
    (About 5-weeks btw)

Interesting, one map on its own might suggest that the USA southeast is doing a good job...
    But it's really quite the reverse... the virus flooded through the southern/Texas/SE-USA population in August hitting most people in one-way or another.
    Now - many have an immunity for a few months...

It's still heading north - noticeably prevalent on the Northern US border.

This is my favourite map, because daily checking always (from July-to-now, at least) suggested it was slowly heading north, geographically. That proved right. #PatternRecognition
    Sure enough, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northern Michigan, Northern New York and Maine got pounded by it over last few weeks.
    Alaska has been absolutely hammered by it. (curious if people there thought there geographic isolation was sufficient protection?)

I believe it shifted hard into Alberta, Saskatchewan and the NWT as well (jumping up through Montana, Idaho, and the Dakotas).

Props to Ontario and BC for staving this off fairly effectively.

Dobber Sports Titan

This is the site I've found and liked best for Canada COVID numbers:
    https://resources-covid19canada.hub.arcgis.com/

[One of my favourite things is the "daily cases"... which shows people tend to get tested on Monday - largest daily "spike". Then a huge drop, slowly rising numbers from Tuesday, slowly rising on Wed, Thu, Fri... then the weekend is "no checking, hang out time"... until people realize again on Monday that they might have something. A bit of pattern amongst human behaviour and self-check. If you're gonna call in sick... do it on Monday after a weekend of being too social, eh!?]
    Most places now aren't submitting COVID test results to the govt until Monday in Ontario (I don't know about the rest of the country). I know Halton region is doing this, Hamilton region is not. So Monday totals are actually from Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Ah - good to learn.

Dobber Sports Titan

^Ah - good to learn.
    They started doing this in the summer as the numbers on the weekend were low enough where they decided not to employ someone on the weekend to update the numbers/work to submit during the weekend. It just wasn't worth it to say 8 new positives on Saturday.

Could very well be also tied to "weekend is busy" mentality. Could be that businesses are testing with the 15min rapid tests and get hit with a positive and go to the hopsitals to get the real test. But I do know that some areas are submitting the weekend results on Monday, which is a reason for the spikes.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Alaska has been absolutely hammered by it. (curious if people there thought there geographic isolation was sufficient protection?)
    It's likely that part of the issue in Alaska is the same issue as many things in Alaska: it's hard to get products from elsewhere in, and the population lives in a tiny portion of the land area.

Nebraska showing up with results is at least a nice thing.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    It's likely that part of the issue in Alaska is the same issue as many things in Alaska: it's hard to get products from elsewhere in, and the population lives in a tiny portion of the land area.

Nebraska showing up with results is at least a nice thing.
    It's bad in Alaska because they have a 63% vaccination rate (58% fully I think) and crept into the 12% positive case percentage a month ago. Resulting in more hospitalizations across the state. With only a few large hospitals capable of handling COVID cases, they filled up fast. And we all know the thing we are trying to do is limit the amount of people in hospital because the second they have to start prioritizing equipment, that's when it gets bad.

Getting vaccines to people I don't think is the issue. It's:
    - Rural areas didn't see a lot of COVID at the beginning, thought it wasn't bad
    - They got sick, and took longer than should to get tested because "The drive was too long"
    - Once in the hospital, there's few spaces because of the small hospitals in rural areas
    - Multiple small areas trying to transfer patients to Anchorage
    - Winter hits, more accidents on the road, more injuries outside fills hospital beds on their own
    - Mask mandates were lifted also. Say what you will about the effectiveness of masks, but the mental effectiveness is there. People tend to be more cautious with hand sanitizer, physical distancing, and just general awareness when you wear a mask.

With a small population, and coming up to 10months of vaccines being available...vaccine availability isn't the issue.

After typing above, I remembered there's a gov't site for looking up where vaccines are available. I looked up random ZIP codes throughout Alaska, then looked at where the biggest issues are in Alaska for COVID are. Vaccine availability isn't the issue. North Alaska has COVID cases that look bad for the per 100,000 mark, but are like 8-20 daily cases. Yes any number is bad, but that's not Alaska's issue. The issue is really the Southern part of Alaska (Matanuska-Susitna Area, Fairbanks, Anchorage) and they have plenty of places that administer the vaccine. Those 3 areas make up 69% of Alaska's population. And the Vaccination percentage in those area's are like 47-68%. That's not good at all.