Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pengwin7's COVID Info/Advice/Links

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Pengwin7's COVID Info/Advice/Links

The info is appreciated and if that was the only goal then it could have been locked and stickied. Its a well written post with lots of very good information. I wasnt aware that I wasnt using my mask properly to maximize protection, so yes thanks for that.

The comments and opinions which follow are the issue. Best not to mix facts and feelings. If you want people to listen don’t put them on the defensive with opinion based comments.

I will leave now. Good luck out there!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Lack of data.
    Some counties do not report (for some reason).
    The state of Nebraska does not submit their data.. COVID never happened there

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Sage

I think discussion is good.

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    The state of Nebraska does not submit their data.. COVID never happened there
    lol Nebraska such a rebel state, she cried more, more, more!
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Aug.27 map above (last Fri)
    Sep.1 map below (today, Wed)
    5 day difference.

For those along the Canada border... the density of those getting COVID is growing near you.
    Northern Washington State has its first dark-purple (Bad)... and all other counties are dark orange today, or worse.
    Northern Montana now has two dark-purples (Bad).
    Northern New York has its first dark-orange (Worrying). Kingston & Cornwall need to be on watch.
    Northern Maine now has three medium-orange (Concerning). Edmundston, NB across the border there.

Dobber Sports Titan

I feel kinda bad, but almost 2 yrs of COVID has made all these charts just fuzzy blah to me. Once the States had to readjust what the colour of each stay meant in terms of numbers because the whole map was dark purple, I kind of just went...Ok, USA is bad. And that's the state of my knowledge since that readjustment time.

I'm lucky to be in an area where I'm shocked our regions numbers are like 120 positive cases, like 120 is bad for the area with 600,000 ppl in it. So I've been able to play hockey, go to the gym, hang with friends, go to a cottage with the boys with minimal worry. So I've prolly had my head in the sand when it comes to COVID world wide because my immediate world is ok. But Schools starting up in a week, and a couple of close friends being teachers...it can get real in our area really quick. Vaccine passports are being introduced by Sept22 (news today) for Ontario, so even if it forces some people to get the vaccine it helps in my opinion.

Also, P7, hope you are your family come out of the COVID positive ok!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah - you guys are doing it SO much better in Canada (Ontario).

The bigger issue now, though, is NOT the vaccination vs. non-vaccination.
    A lot of people are losing track of this.

MASKS are most important.
    This Delta Variant of COVID can be contracted & passed through VACCINATED persons.

What we are seeing here in the US... is that people aren't taking masking seriously.
    They are vaccinated... they throw on a shitty mask... and think "I'm fine. This is enough."
    It's not enough.
    People need a good mask so that they don't breath it in... then breath it out.
    The aerosol droplots from pure breathing can spread it.
    Air goes around corners.
    (I'm a structural engineer that mostly designs building walls for wind... wind finds its way through. Air, breath... it does the same)

I think people think "I breathe air outwards. The mask stops that.
    No, if there are small spaces in the sides or nose of the mask, it's getting out.

Places that mask up... will do best.
    But this COVID will get everywhere...

Once it gets into the schools, you are DOOMED.
    So communities need to keep it out of schools by educating children with good masks and not allowing them too much shared breathing space at lunch.

Dobber Sports Sage

Covid went through our home about a month ago. My kids (7 and 11) had mild cases. My wife and I are vaccinated but still got it. Both of us had mild cases with being back to 100% in 4-5 days. The worst part was losing our taste for nearly a week. I fear that if we were not vaccinated we would of had a much more serious case. Even when we were the sickest, it wasn't that bad. I had pneumonia in June and it was much, much worse. (Yeah- I've had a bad summer.)
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ninja

The bigger issue now, though, is NOT the vaccination vs. non-vaccination.
    A lot of people are losing track of this.

MASKS are most important.
    This Delta Variant of COVID can be contracted & passed through VACCINATED persons.
    They are both critically important, but vaccination is the long-game and masks is the short-game (or perhaps more accurately mid-game). There will be other variants, likely more severe than Delta. To stop these mutations (or at least reduce the chance of a really nasty one evolving), we need to have enough people vaccinated. 50% over a mass as large and transient as the US population doesn't even come close to cutting it...

Even in Canada / Ontario where we're approaching 80%, the cases are on the upward trajectory and I suspect we are in for a NASTY fall season. Herd resistance (I'm not even going to use the word immunity anymore) used to be at 80% for the original COVID - now they believe it's higher than 90% to contain Delta. Sadly even a country as pro-vaccine as Canada will never hit those %'s until the gov makes it law.

I'm encouraged to see the private sector taking matters into their own hands over the past few months. That certainly helps. People may be blind idiots - but at the end of the day they need to get paid and they will want access to entertainment, recreation, food and other venues. If you can't reason with them then hit them where it hurts.

I am flying out to LA for a 2 day business trip. Not gonna lie... I am shitting bricks hah. Stocked up on legit N95s after reading this thread.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks for this thread, Pengwin. I'm truly sorry that south of the border, people just don't seem to give a damn.

I find a lot of people don't really understand or empathize until it affects someone near and dear to them. Even myself, to my knowledge I have been fortunate so far to not be directly affected by COVID (i.e., infected), but given my career and background in public health, working in all areas of chronic disease, and working directly and being friends with health care workers who have basically given up their lives for 2 years to deal with this stuff, I can see the effect that it has on the system as a whole.

People don't stop to think about:
    - The cancer patient who is getting subpar care during this time because things are stretched so thin.
    - The person living with heart failure, too scared to go to the emergency department because they're scared of catching COVID, just to die of their heart failure because they didn't seek the treatment they needed.
    - The stroke survivors who couldn't get access to quality rehabilitation to help them regain their function because in-person services had to be shut down for extended periods of time.
    - The elderly (people's mothers, fathers, grandmothers, grandfathers), who died in long-term care homes because of constant outbreaks.
    - I have friends who work directly on the COVID response on a macro level, who have told me that scientists and public health professionals have broken down in tears in meetings because they're tired of providing scientific evidence to inform decision-making, just to watch the evidence be ignored.
    - I know health care professionals who are burned out because they have had to inform people who would have normally been able to get treatment and survive, that there was just nothing that could be done for them right now and they had to let them die.

Recently, I was feeling pretty good about the situation here - the vaccination rate is quite high, and the proportion of cases that are being reported are mostly in the unvaccinated, ICU numbers generally down...

And then a month ago my mother got diagnosed with cancer again (previously battled in 2019). And all of that went out the window. Unfortunately for people like my mother who are now undergoing chemo, their immune systems are compromised. So while it's great that the majority of cases are unvaccinated, the higher case numbers means greater risk to my mother, regardless of the fact that she is double vaccinated. That means that I can't take any chances, as I need to take my mother to her treatments, and keep myself safe as to not be a risk to her or any of the other people who are undergoing cancer treatment as well.

I'm not looking for sympathy or anything. I just hope that someone, on these forums, reads this post and thinks, shit, I never thought about this. I get it, that people want to live their lives again. I do too. But there are a lot more people out there who are dealing with far worse than your inability to go on vacation, or go to the bars, or the need to just wear a mask on your face to protect others.

Plus, wearing a mask makes half of y'all 50% more attractive anyway so consider that.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

(Masks... wear 'em)
    Last edited by Pengwin7; September 8, 2021 at 2:23 PM.

Dobber Sports Titan

Proper masks are like building a wall between you an a bull. The bull can go around the wall if it's not sealed off. But eventually you want the wall down. Vaccines are like training you how to deal with the bull. Right now the vaccine is teaching you not to die if the bull hits you. The next vaccine might teach you how to deal with the bull, but once the bull learns how to attack you, you'll need a new vaccine to teach you how to battle his new moves. And so on and so forth until you get a vaccine that teaches you how to move the bull out of the area and it won't both you ever after 1 class.

VERY very VERY crude analogy, but proper masks are needed right now, but vaccines are needed if we don't want to workout with masks constantly. Unlesssss I've been under the wrong impression with vaccines. I'm also under the impression this vaccine won't be the vaccine revision that will end everything. It goes through stages and variations akin to the measles vaccine...Maybe that 5th coffee was one too many.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Your first two sentences about the bull and the wall are on the right track. (Everything else isn't required).
    I don't have any problems with bulls. Neither do most people. But bulls do exist.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I'm lucky to be in an area where I'm shocked our regions numbers are like 120 positive cases, like 120 is bad for the area with 600,000 ppl in it.
    Same. We have only had only a couple cases ever (and that was from the Amish community) and none for several months. I have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest city to get ~100 cases total (half of that is from one apartment building). You know your pretty isolated when you know more people who have died from taking the vaccine then from covid itself.

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Plus, wearing a mask makes half of y'all 50% more attractive anyway so consider that.
    That's what you think! My work pays for dental so I have a killer smile

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

^Your first two sentences about the bull and the wall are on the right track. (Everything else isn't required).
    I don't have any problems with bulls. Neither do most people. But bulls do exist.
    I wish the bull was more like the bulls that get shown at big fairs... then the ones that are used for bullfighting in Central America.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I wish the bull was more like the bulls that get shown at big fairs... then the ones that are used for bullfighting in Central America.
    Maybe they are the Red Bull's that give you wings!