Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jarry - is he a keeper?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Jarry - is he a keeper?

Hi. 8 teams. We keep 13 + 6 prospects and a farm. Goalies get stashed, so not many make it to draft. I'd guess that minimum 20 goalies are kept. I will be keeping Lehner, Petersen, Jarry (?), Knight and Askarov myself.

If I don't keep Jarry then I am relying on Lehner and Petersen to be my main goalies and take a flyer later and/or Knight emerges.

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    I think we have to take much of last season’s stats with a grain o salt… that was irregular to say the least and most elite athletes like routines. That said, I trust Hertl to give you what you expect of him. Jarry, I do not… nor do I trust any goalie who’s name doesn’t rhyme with hasilevskee or vellabuck. How many teams in this league, and how many protected Gs? If answered, I’m sorry I missed it.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You're probably right about Hertl. He is a good solid player, but unfortunately as a C only he lost a lot of value in my league. Im dropping Toewes and Backstrom as 2 examples of guys I can easily redraft and get close to his output next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    I understand that keeping Jarry over Hertl is a bit crazy here. Jarry had pretty good numbers for a pretty screwed up season. Not making excuses for him but I think he gives the Pens the best chance to win. That defence isn’t exactly stellar but it is good enough with Jarry’s talent to get him over 30+ wins. Am I confident he can get that? More so than Hertl reaching 70 points. Hertl is 27 and theoretically should be heading into his “prime” years. I’m still betting on Jarry. Now watch Hertl have a P/G + season. Good luck

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Perhaps he isn't that great, but I'd still keep him over Hertl in the OP's format.

If, as you suspect, DeSmith overtakes Jarry at some point, the OP can make an adjustment. I don't think losing Hertl is going to hurt too much.
    I am a Pens fan and am close to a few people who live in Pittsburgh, and what we saw of Jarry was he was the weakest link of the three goalies (Murray at the time), to a point he lost two starting jobs at two different times in the A, and lost the initial backup 1b job to DeSmith. Even this year DeSmith outplayed him. I am just not a fan of the eye test. DeSmith did bad the one time, Jarry became on the last year of his contract, which changed from a two-way to one-way. They couldn't carry 3 goalies so one had to go down... it feels like Pittsburgh has more faith in Jarry because of the age and being in their system since Day 1. DeSmith took to the demotion poorly as he demonstrated his worst year... and first year, after producing .915 or better save percentages in nine straight years. That's consistent and promising. He's kept that up until the past two seasons, but so far Casey has looked more impressive in his NHL stint. Not night and day better, but I just feel he's more solid in net and is less prone to letting in those soft ones.

Perhaps I am too hard on Jarry. I just was never blown away, especially when both Murray and DeSmith have beaten him for the job at times. Perhaps he continues to grow and evolve. I am just not a fan of the guy.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.