Thread: Dropping Players in Dysnaty League

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Dropping Players in Dysnaty League

I've heard a couple of mentions of league rules preventing managers to drop players on active contracts.
    You can only drop a player when his contract is expiring.
    I do like the idea but am missing the details of how to implemeting it.

Looking to propose it in our 15 teams cap dynasty league which has been running for 10 years. (Fantrax)

Anyone can fill me in on what you're using?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Dropping Players in Dysnaty League

We don't have that rule in the hockey league I'm in, but I've played in a football league with it, and it was bad there. I've done a ton of auction leagues as well, and it works in those leagues. Let me explain.

In an auction league, you're going to bid an amount on a player. If it's a dynasty league, you will sign them to a contract length. If there's a screwup on dollars or term, it's on you.

In a cap league where you are using real-world salaries and contracts, you're going to choose players based on ability as well as contract value. If a GM extends a player before there contract expires, then they get hurt or become useless you need to make sure there's an out for that if it occurs before that new contract kicks in. We didn't have that, and we also didn't have an IR, therefore if a big money guy gets hurt, you're in trouble for the year. If you have 2 big money guys get hurt, you're done.

To alleviate that problem, you want to have an IR, and have a period where you can drop contracts when the terms change. While most contracts are signed in sports to start at the next league year, that's not always the case, and sometimes contracts get "torn up" or have years added. Make sure that you have something in place for those instances. In can't just be when they are actually a free agent, because that's going to fail.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

How about a buy out penalty? Say, 25% of the player's cap hit? Fantrax allows you to apply cap hits against teams.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thanks both for your replies. So best way to implement that it seems would be:
    1. Allow free buyout before new contract or extension kicks in (during offseason)
    2. Have an IR (We do)
    3. Outside the free buyout window, Cap penalty (25% of player cap hit for example)

That seems reasonable. Make sure that there's some sort of a window for in season extensions as well. I'm unsure if the NHL allows a signed contract to change mid-season, though, so it may not be an issue in hockey.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

The only situation where that would happen would be an in-season buyout, followed by a signing with another team. Happened with Gusev last year, but I can't think of any other instances.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Well I'm no Comish, just a guy in hockey pools. However, the more you complicate things the more ass pain for poolies and in a case like this, who really needs that? Sorry, just sayin'
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    The only situation where that would happen would be an in-season buyout, followed by a signing with another team. Happened with Gusev last year, but I can't think of any other instances.
    I was referring to a situation with no buyout - it's a straight up new contract. I know it happens in other sports, and have seen it become an issue, so I raised it. You may be right that it's a non-factor in hockey.