Thread: Draft Strategy - Good plan or not?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Draft Strategy - Good plan or not?

This is for a 24-team (this is key), start 2 goalie (max of 4 on roster) salary cap league with goalie cats being W, GAA, SV and SV%. The cats are split 7 skater and 4 goalie.

I am currently in a rebuild and my current goalies are Hart, Askarov, A Forsberg and A Melnichuk. I have picks #1, #3,#16 and #17 (to name my top ones).

Now, I think you can see where this is heading ... my current strategy would be to select Jesper Wallstedt at #1 and select either Eklund or Beniers at #3. This would mean I would drop either Anton Forsberg or Alexei Melnichuk.

So ultimately is this a good draft strategy or no? Goalie values are through the roof. Thanks and will REP were I can.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Draft Strategy - Good plan or not?

I've got no qualms with it.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yep I like your thought process of taking Wally #1.

In your setup, combined with your current rebuild, a Hart/Askarov/Wallstedt stable of young keepers is brilliant.

The real question (to me) is what you do @ #3.

Nice to grab a skater but based on your "strategy" - would Cossa make the most sense? I mean, if there was ever a draft to skip on the top F's (not that they won't be great) and go with 2 (highly regarded) goalies this is it.

16/17 give you a chance to grab some decent skater depth (who knows how this class of skaters will turn out) while solidifying your goalie situation for the future (which based on your setup, strikes me as the MOST important position to secure).

Curious to hear what you do! Good luck.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Star

I agree with the Wallstedt at #1 plan. Your league factors all point to collecting elite goalie talents being the best strategy.