Thread: Field of Dreams Game

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Field of Dreams Game

Not sure how I'm just hearing about this now. So frigging cool.

August 12. Yankees vs White Sox

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...s-in-iowa/amp/

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Field of Dreams Game

It was supposed to be last yr so they hyped it a bit in pre-season/offseason but COVID hit which made it impossible to do last yr, and they didn't really promote it this yr. I think it was because they didn't know if it would happen or not because of COVID.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

This is pretty freaking cool.

Dobber Sports Star

This game is so wonderful and awesome. Can't imagine. It is idealism made manifest.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    This game is so wonderful and awesome. Can't imagine. It is idealism made manifest.
    And what a finish!! I went to bed at 7-4.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

This was great!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Star

For one night, all the cynicism I have built up about sports and the unfeeling business machine behind it melted away. And that opening could not have been handled better.

Dobber Sports Star

On the lighter side, actor and former Northern Illinois resident Nick Offerman made a list of ridiculous things about the movie. It's funniest to hear him say it on a podcast, but here's the transcript.

"I made a quick list of just absolutely ridiculous things about this film. First of all, Kevin Costner is ostensibly an Iowa farmer. He wears no belt. There are so many glaring reality and continuity issues here.

The first time he hears the voice, he’s out wandering in a shoulder-high cornfield, in the middle of the field, with a shovel — just wandering through the field with a shovel, which makes absolutely no sense. Then he goes to the seed store, where he asks some of the older farmers if they had heard voices in the cornfield. They look at him like he’s crazy, and he just buys one bag of corn seed at harvest time. I’ll let you do the math on that.

Then, Shoeless Joe shows up out on the ballfield, and Kevin Costner runs out. Fortunately, a dozen — at least — baseball bats and a huge bag of baseballs are sitting out by the unprotected backstop, so that if it were to be a dewy evening, let alone if, God forbid, it rained, all of the equipment would be ruined. Shoeless Joe asks him to pitch to him, he’s got enough bats and balls to field two college teams, yet he takes the mound with no mitt. No mitt? You put in lights in your cornfield and you have no mitt?…

Finally, the whole plot is predicated on the fact that this crazy farmer had this vision, plowed under a bunch of his corn to build a baseball field in his cornfield. And everybody says, “you’re crazy, you’re hearing voices, what’s the matter with you? You’re plowing under your cash crop? You’re going to lose your farm.

I based my math on the dimensions of Wrigley Field, and determined — being generous to the filmmakers — the baseball diamond would encompass two acres. The average size of an Iowa corn farm is 345 acres. It’s absolutely ridiculous that it would have any impact on his profits to the point where they’d lose the farm."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/nic...ield-of-dreams

Dobber Sports Immortal

For one night, all the cynicism I have built up about sports and the unfeeling business machine behind it melted away. And that opening could not have been handled better.
    It was pretty surreal. Especially the night shots with no crowd in the outfield.

Dobber Sports Star

I watched this last year and dang if the players walking out of the corn didn't give me literal goosebumps again tonight. So much for having a calloused heart.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I watched this last year and dang if the players walking out of the corn didn't give me literal goosebumps again tonight. So much for having a calloused heart.
    Completely missed it this year. Cubs and Reds though!?! Gross choice.

Dobber Sports Stud

Between this, and then next week’s LLWS game, baseball might actually find a way back to being “cool.”
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Completely missed it this year. Cubs and Reds though!?! Gross choice.
    It'll always be a "mid-western" team since it's 1 game in a 3 game series. So they need to get to someone's home stadium quickly after the game. Also, this was the matchup for the FOD game in 2020 that got cancelled, and both teams were still "relevant" then.

As for the game....I think it's cool. But if it's not done correctly, it'll turn into the outdoor NHL games. AKA, overused and just a hindrance. I think the emotional connection to some players and the movie make the game special, but if it's not navigated correctly, it will have a short life since the movie is old and new stars likely don't have that connection.

Also, there won't be a FOD game next yr as the owner of the field is going through renos next yr.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

This needs to happen only every 3 or 4 years, or, as hockeyrobot correctly says, it becomes the outdoor NHL games.