Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Boqvist or DeAngelo?

The Great One

Default Re: Boqvist or DeAngelo?

Serious question, cause I don't recall everything...but what exactly did DeAngelo do, other than get into a physical altercation with Georgiev? I have searched a bunch of threads on him, but other than the fight and some loud-mouth tweets (presumably from his burner account) where he criticizes the team and spouts his political views, I must have missed something else considering all the hate DeAngelo receives. I'm seriously curious to know what else he did. If he's just an ass of a person, I'm fairly sure there are lots of those in the NHL.

So many NHL'ers in the past have run afoul of public favor, yet been given second (or third or more) chances.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports All-Star

Rolling the dice for a big boon? DeAngelo is the play here. If he has his head on right he has the talent and team to hit 50+ points. He’s the type of player that wins you weeks in roto and even if you hate him why not pick him up and then deal him if he gets hot? IF being the key word. I like Boqvist but I think he’s still some time away from being relevant. Compared to the possibility of DeAngelo being a top 10 fantasy stud. Good luck.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    That meh pick put up 29 points in his first 76 NHL games as a depth dman when he was 19-20.... I think he'll do fine on his new team. DeAngelo should put up more points, but there's so much inherit risk with such a dumbass like DeAngelo... that the trade off of the security of player who should thrive in his new role is too close to not vouch for the young kid.

But yes, I made my point enough. Also, it's not so much I like Boqvist, I just don't see a place where a player like DeAngelo should be gainfully employed in the NHL. Especially with the message that the NHL is pushing, "Hockey is for everyone."
    We all know, based on their actions, that the NHL is full of shit.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Serious question, cause I don't recall everything...but what exactly did DeAngelo do, other than get into a physical altercation with Georgiev? I have searched a bunch of threads on him, but other than the fight and some loud-mouth tweets (presumably from his burner account) where he criticizes the team and spouts his political views, I must have missed something else considering all the hate DeAngelo receives. I'm seriously curious to know what else he did. If he's just an ass of a person, I'm fairly sure there are lots of those in the NHL.

So many NHL'ers in the past have run afoul of public favor, yet been given second (or third or more) chances.
    He was a Trump supporter. That's pretty much it.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    We all know, based on their actions, that the NHL is full of shit.
    True.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    He was a Trump supporter. That's pretty much it.
    Him being a Trump supporter sums up the kind of person he is, but there is a lot more than that. He doesn't just have a controversial political view--he's actually a problematic person that is going to keep having these issues.

If you do a quick google search, you can find some gems through his hockey career. From being suspended several times in different seasons for abusing officials, suspended for abusing teammates, getting in fights with teammates, racial slurs to teammates, and--yes--to using twitter like crazy with his polarizing political views (MAGA support, denying COVID-19's reality, etc) and arguing with his team's fans and challenging them to fist fights.

The Great One

Yeah - sorry - I meant aside from what he was able to find in the web...that he’s just generally an A-hole.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Ace

He’s a terrible person and can’t keep his mouth shut. It’s almost embarrassing we grew up in same little south Jersey town, and even worse is that there are more like him. Nevertheless, I am debating over targeting him so that he doesn’t beat me when I play the GM in my league that will draft him. Let’s face it, if he rattles off a ppg pace for a month or three, we’d be stupid not to snag him. I am mostly upset that the NHL didn’t just ban him 5 years for being anti-human. I don’t care about his political views or anyone’s really (it’s none of my business and I play fantasy sports to get away from that stuff, but it’s quite annoying that he keeps spewing his stupidity for me and everyone else to hear/read). Maybe Rod can help him (he also spent a lot of time in south Jersey, only Rod is a great person who always showed respect for his fellow humans and he was about as good a teammate as any I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching play for the Flyers). I would have preferred tony not be a draft option but Carolina may have been worried Montreal would do what I fear GMs in my league will do… to get back to comparing these two blueliners though, there is zero doubt that deangelo is the choice for fantasy production. It isn’t that risky either because if he flops you will probably find a replacement that isn’t that far off of Boqvist’s stats at least for the next 3 years (aka fantasy relevance window).
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Ace

Barring an injury to Werenski, I just don't see how Boqvist has much of a chance to get anything going anytime soon. Weresnki has elite offensive skills, and was just paid to be the golden boy for the next nine years. Boqvist might be really good, but we don't know that yet; nor, will he get much of a chance, especially on that weak Columbus team, to show if he does.

Deangelo wasn't signed to not play. Ownership and leaders in that franchise would not risk their reputations to bring in Deangelo if they did not fully intend on playing him. I'm sorry, but that's just the way that it is. He WILL get a chance at a big role there, although I think that it will come close. Brind Amour will make him earn it, as if he were a rookie, likely starting on PP2 and eventually, if he proves himself in the dressing room and gains the trust and approval of his teammates, his role will also increase. PP1 by Christmas, with no looking back. That's a swing that I'm willing to take here.

Deangelo for me.

The Great One

Both the last two posters are to be commended for their honesty. Rep given.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Initiate

So the rest of us weren't being honest because we fear Tony DeAngelo can be removed from his new team, because it already has happened... and this could be much closer than what people may realize? Okay...

Nobody is saying that DeAngelo can't outscore Adam Boqvist, but because this is a keeper league scenario, if one feels safer and more confident in the younger of the two, I don't see the issue here. Boqvist has 29 points in 76 games in a depth role at ages 19/20, which is fantastic production. He was drafted 8th overall for a reason. It's not like he isn't going to play there or build onto what he has done, or the fact Zach Werenski plays there, that he can't get points either. If Seth Jones could, so can Boqvist.

If this is a one year deal, then it's a different story, but as jhonny said, he doesn't know how to shut his mouth... he makes lots of stupid decisions much like Evander Kane. And now that Sharks players don't want Kane back, that's 3 teams that have shown he's a cancer in the room, and that travels fast. That makes it increasingly difficult for the Sharks to unload him in a move, or other teams wanting to take a chance on Evander. That's if it isn't found out the allegations are true, then it may not even be a concern where he plays, but if he plays. There was a reason why DeAngelo only played 6 games and there could be a very good chance he only plays a handful of games before he does his next big stupid thing. Evander is a good comparison, because he seems to repeat history with one poor judgement after another. He already has come out and said against his lawyers wishes, that the mother of his children (with one on the way) is a very un well person, putting her character down..... This is the sort of thing a child can look back and find easily while doing research. Yes I am talking years later. Point is Evander isn't being professional. He's incapable of that. My fear is that DeAngelo is incapable of being a decent human being and continuously putting his foot-in-his-mouth. Keep in mind he's also younger than Kane, and is just as immature. Perhaps even more-so when it comes to what he puts out there, when it comes to his thoughts. It wasn't just what he did to Alexander Georgiev, or the Trump stuff, or showing shades of ignorance to others, it's the fact he made a burner account to roast fans. Just a bad PR look.

So yeah, I do like the Boqvist side more because I don't trust the player at all. Who gives a damn what he did in the past. Andy Delmore led all NHL defenseman in goals for a period of two seasons. Granted his situation was different, but since those two seasons he didn't sniff a full NHL season or come close to that. Again clearly different situations, but don't be shocked if DeAngelo struggles because he does something to another teammate or makes yet another embarrassing PR move. The point is the production is in the past. If you can't trust the player (much like I couldn't trust Kane anymore), you move on from them. It's not just about numbers if you question the players future in the league. There is a reason why he only signed a cheap one year deal. I see a lot of Sean Avery in DeAngelo, which is not good.

And as for Kane, we'll see if he's even playing hockey this season, or if he sniffs the NHL again.

And since we're on the topic, is it safe to assume now Slava Voynov's chance of being an NHLer again will happen? With the Montreal pick, this DeAngelo signing, and now the drama of Kane, and the Chicago Blackhawks story coming out, it seems fair to ask.

The Great One

By commending the previous two posters for being honest, no one was saying you weren't honest with your answer. Everything you are saying is true, and no one is questioning that. It is, however, a bit more difficult at times to take the somewhat contrarian (unpopular) view and say that despite DeAngelo's past, he may be the better option here, for fantasy hockey.

That said, we won't know for a while which player is ultimately the better option but there is certainly a strong reason to assume it will be DeAngelo despite his past. Like it or not, there is precedence that professional athletes (not just hockey players) are often given second chances that those of us in the real world may not be given.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    By commending the previous two posters for being honest, no one was saying you weren't honest with your answer. Everything you are saying is true, and no one is questioning that. It is, however, a bit more difficult at times to take the somewhat contrarian (unpopular) view and say that despite DeAngelo's past, he may be the better option here, for fantasy hockey.

That said, we won't know for a while which player is ultimately the better option but there is certainly a strong reason to assume it will be DeAngelo despite his past. Like it or not, there is precedence that professional athletes (not just hockey players) are often given second chances that those of us in the real world may not be given.
    Well said. He's very fortunate his skillset allows him a second chance. What do you think of Kane's future?

The Great One

Well said. He's very fortunate his skillset allows him a second chance. What do you think of Kane's future?
    Unless the Sharks are able to void the contract, I don't see him going anywhere.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    Thanks for the rep, tweetdrivr.

Unfortunately, when trying to edit a typo, I accidentally deleted my post.
    I've restored it for you.