Thread: Who to Keep? Who to Trade?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Who to Keep? Who to Trade?

Looking for some advice.

I had a middle of the pack team last year in a 14 team league - scoring in signature. I drafted a lot of youth last year and am really prospect heavy. I can only keep 15 and am looking for help evaluating keepers and trade bait.

First glance on keepers (and this changes daily) my thoughts are:
    F: Pastrnak, Guentzel, Barzal, Kaprizov, Wilson, Eichel, Larkin, Byfield, Suzuki, Caufield
    D: Severson, Brannstrom, Seider, Addison
    G: Hart

With having Raymond, Holtz, Rossi, Farabee - I could not keep a goalie and keep an extra F or as my D is young, do I keep someone like Valimaki?

Who do you believe has the most value as a keeper and who do you see as having the most trade value - ie name value is better than actual fantasy value? Is it Suzuki and Caufield with the shared offense in MTL. I am a habs fan at heart but understand the scoring by committee capping their full potential.

Any thoughts would be helpful
    14 Team Keeper League
    Keep 15
    Start 9F 5D 1G
    G A PIM GWG W SO OTL

Starters
    F: Pastrnak, Kaprizov, Lafrenniere, Pettersson, Raymond, Byfield, Rossi, Hayton, Arvidsson
    D: Seider, Hanifin, Drysdale, Boqvist, Shultz
    G: Demko

Bench:
    F: Pelletier, Noesen
    D: Lundkvist, Hutson, Nikishin, Addison, Spence, York, Zamula
    G: Levi, Wolf

IR: Fantilli, Sergachev

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Who to Keep? Who to Trade?

If you're middle of the pack you need to decide whether you're pushing all-in or building for the future. You don't want your current stars to have aged out before your next generation are ready.

If you're going for it, obviously package your rookies (sell the hype of Caufield, but keep Kaprizov) to get veteran help, especially on defence. Your rookie D will be good, but it'll take Brannstrom, Seider, and Addison years to get the opportunity or be bonafide keepers.

If you're rebuilding, I'd sell Barzal and Wilson.
    I think Barzal is a better player IRL than in fantasy, I'd look to dangle him to get a big upgrade on D. I just don't see how Barzal can do well in a Trotz system and who can they bring in that would help? Basically I'm not high on Islanders. As for Wilson, he's a multi-cat beast but the Caps are on their way down. Aging core and power forwards hit the wall around age 30. He'll be productive but I think if you sold now you'd get a ransom for him. Better to sell one year early than one year late.

I also think you can sneak Addison in as a redraft as he's not a big name. I'm big on Raymond and Newhook, so barring trades I'd swap out Addison and put in Raymond even though you're forward heavy. Depending on what goalies are available in the redraft I'd swap out Hart for Newhook too. Goalies are too inconsistent and Hart is young but hasn't differentiated himself from the pack of other goalies around the same age/ability e.g. Oettinger/Kahkonen, etc. (personal bias, I'm not a big fan of Hart). I'd rather load up on stars and then trade for need, rather than hold average players.
    And yes, I like Valimaki but think he's a year or two away from being a keeper.

You could go either way (winning or rebuild), but we don't know your competition so you'll have to decide whether you think you can break through or not.
    Good luck
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Who to Keep? Who to Trade?

Thanks "This Guy." I agree on Wilson being a good trading chip. Barzal seems pretty consistent and is he the floor of any of these prospects or is he what I hope they become?

Really leaning to keep more F and no goalie as I think I can redraft a goalie easier than a D or even a F.

Now that the silly signing season is essentially over, any other thoughts from anyone else?
    14 Team Keeper League
    Keep 15
    Start 9F 5D 1G
    G A PIM GWG W SO OTL

Starters
    F: Pastrnak, Kaprizov, Lafrenniere, Pettersson, Raymond, Byfield, Rossi, Hayton, Arvidsson
    D: Seider, Hanifin, Drysdale, Boqvist, Shultz
    G: Demko

Bench:
    F: Pelletier, Noesen
    D: Lundkvist, Hutson, Nikishin, Addison, Spence, York, Zamula
    G: Levi, Wolf

IR: Fantilli, Sergachev