Thread: Keeper Selections / Offseason Planning

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Keeper Selections / Offseason Planning

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on where to take my roster this coming year. I feel like I've been out of the loop for much of the last 17 months because of the pandemic and could use some critical eyes on my roster.

Long story short, I'm just wondering what people would suggest in terms of players to keep. Some are obvious (Kucherov, Vasilevsky, Guentzel), but I'm a loss as to who to keep after that.

Full roster and league details in my signature below. A few team/league quirks to be aware of:

-- offseason trades cannot include 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounders in any deals
    -- about ~15 goalies are kept every year; if you don't keep 2, you will need to pick on in the top 3-4 rounds
    -- I finished 4th last year, and I consider my team competitive
    -- I have all of my original draft picks for this year, plus an additional 2nd
    -- trades are not easy to do in the offseason
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Keeper Selections / Offseason Planning

Sad to have to say this, but Karlsson is done - at least on that team... swap him out and Nurse in.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    Sad to have to say this, but Karlsson is done - at least on that team... swap him out and Nurse in.
    Thanks, sir!

Yes, I have very, very slowly come to that conclusion too. Extra hard given that I'm a (sigh) Sens fan.

Any other recommendations? Not sure what to do with guys like Tavares, Seguin, etc.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rooneypoo View Post
    Hi all,

Long story short, I'm just wondering what people would suggest in terms of players to keep. Some are obvious (Kucherov, Vasilevsky, Guentzel), but I'm a loss as to who to keep after that.
    How have you done in your league? Are you looking to contend this year or are you building?

Agree with your 3 keepers. I wonder if this is another year where you keep Svechnikov. A bit of a down year, but Teravainen being injured is probably a contributing factor.

Nurse could be the better play for a keeper but Werenski is interesting considering Jones and his PP time has been shipped off. Not sure Boqvist or Bean will take time on PP1, especially considering additional top 6 signings that'll push the second D to PP2. That said, Barrie landing back in Edmonton could suppress Nurse - so a bit of a wait and see I suppose.

For consideration, if 5 other GMs only keep 1 G will their drops (G's 15-20) are they likely to be better than any goalie you might drop. Does that make sense? I wonder where Kuemper ends up, lots of chatter that he could be shipped to a place like Toronto or Colorado. That'd be a plum spot to land. Hart could bounce back but that's challenging to predict obviously. PHI really suffered after not replacing Niskanen - we'll see if their moves will improve their D.

If you drop your second G, I'm tempted by Buchnevich depending on STL deployment or by Reinhart, also depending on deployment. I'd lean toward Reinhart.

Well, there are some of my thoughts. Good luck.
    9 Team Points Only Dynasty - 27 Player Roster (17 Keepers) - 12 F, 6 D, 2 UTL, 2 G, 5 Bench - 2.5G, 2A, 1PP, 2SHG, 1SHA, 3W, 2SO, 1OTL, 0.05SV

F: J Robertson, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Aho, Kaprizov, Scheifele, Connor, DeBrincat, Cozens, Ehlers, Toffoli, Kopitar, Trocheck, Schmaltz, W Johnston, Teravainen, J Quinn
    D: Dahlin, Werenski, M Rielly, S Jones, McCavoy, Gustafsson
    G: Shesterkin, Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Ace

I think I would go with Ovechkin, Svechnikov, and Hart and try to take advantage of that window where everyone else is trying to get their goalie to snap up some great value.

I think Svechnikov and Hart could be swapped out depending on what you think will be the easiest position to address. They both have some risk but I would rather bet on the full season before the pandemic than this last one.

I could see making a case for Werenski but with the arrival of Boqvist there's some uncertainty around how they plan to distribute the minutes between the two of them. I think Nurse is the safer option if you feel like you need to keep a dman.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by JSquared View Post
    How have you done in your league? Are you looking to contend this year or are you building?

Agree with your 3 keepers. I wonder if this is another year where you keep Svechnikov. A bit of a down year, but Teravainen being injured is probably a contributing factor.

Nurse could be the better play for a keeper but Werenski is interesting considering Jones and his PP time has been shipped off. Not sure Boqvist or Bean will take time on PP1, especially considering additional top 6 signings that'll push the second D to PP2. That said, Barrie landing back in Edmonton could suppress Nurse - so a bit of a wait and see I suppose.

For consideration, if 5 other GMs only keep 1 G will their drops (G's 15-20) are they likely to be better than any goalie you might drop. Does that make sense? I wonder where Kuemper ends up, lots of chatter that he could be shipped to a place like Toronto or Colorado. That'd be a plum spot to land. Hart could bounce back but that's challenging to predict obviously. PHI really suffered after not replacing Niskanen - we'll see if their moves will improve their D.

If you drop your second G, I'm tempted by Buchnevich depending on STL deployment or by Reinhart, also depending on deployment. I'd lean toward Reinhart.

Well, there are some of my thoughts. Good luck.
    If I can say this modestly: I'm usually a perennial contender, and feel well position to fight for the championship this coming year.

Right, I hear you on Svechnikov: my instinct is to keep him. Nurse is someone I'm definitely considering keeping -- good peripherals + good points overall -- but I just wonder a bit about his upside long term. You really need to be a 50+ point Dman to justify a keeper spot in this league, if you ask me, and Klefbom is not going to be injured forever.

The goalie question you raise is a fraught one, and always is every year. Basically it depends how panicky GMs get in the draft. A run on goalies in the top 5 picks, say, could trigger a scramble early on. Khodobin or Hart might still be on the board in round 2 or 3, Kuemper it's hard to know without knowing where he lands, as you say.

What I'm hearing is that I have a pretty deep set of 'tweeners', guys who are close to interchangeable in terms of value -- Nurse, Werenski, Reinhart, Buchnevich, Hart. Maybe my best bet to is to dangle everyone other than Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Guentzel, and Svechnikov, and just see if there are any takers. If it's too close to call on most of these guys, I might be better off with a few extra 4th/5th/6th round picks.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    I think I would go with Ovechkin, Svechnikov, and Hart and try to take advantage of that window where everyone else is trying to get their goalie to snap up some great value.

I think Svechnikov and Hart could be swapped out depending on what you think will be the easiest position to address. They both have some risk but I would rather bet on the full season before the pandemic than this last one.

I could see making a case for Werenski but with the arrival of Boqvist there's some uncertainty around how they plan to distribute the minutes between the two of them. I think Nurse is the safer option if you feel like you need to keep a dman.
    Elite dmen to carry a lot of extra weight in this league because of the DEF (points by dmen) category -- basically, every G and A is double counted as a result. Question is, can I rely on Nurse to be a regular 50+ point guy?
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Superstar

"What I'm hearing is that I have a pretty deep set of 'tweeners', guys who are close to interchangeable in terms of value -- Nurse, Werenski, Reinhart, Buchnevich, Hart. Maybe my best bet to is to dangle everyone other than Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Guentzel, and Svechnikov, and just see if there are any takers. If it's too close to call on most of these guys, I might be better off with a few extra 4th/5th/6th round picks."

Well you answered your own question and provided the correct advice before I got a chance!! (:

Kuch and Vasi are the no brainers. Absolutely elite. Then things get a bit more difficult but I honestly believe that both Svech and Guenzel can and will improve. Maybe one or both truly becomes elite and that's across many of your scoring cats. So, there is your core of 4.

I have used the term "elite" on purpose. In a keep six, your ultimate goal is to have a core of six elite players. I don't think your quite there, some work needs to be done.

Your biggest weakness is on Defence. I hear ya on EK, absolutely elite, but I'm afraid those days are gone. IMO, none of your other D are elite, even if they have "good" years, none of these guys is or will become and elite defencemen IMO.

I would settle for pick upgrades only as a last resort, my primary focus would be to package up those "tweener" assets that you have and go after an elite defencemen. Would a package of Werenski, Nurse and Tarasenko be enough to pry loose a defencmen like Hedman, Theodore or Hughes as an example. I'm just throwing out names, but this is the kind of deal you should look to work towards.

Good luck!
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Follow up question for anyone still following along:

What about Tavares and Seguin?
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rooneypoo View Post
    Follow up question for anyone still following along:

What about Tavares and Seguin?
    I wouldn't personally consider Seguin unless Dallas makes some convincing moves. To me that's a team that's swimming mediocrity and with an average player age of 30 they're probably trending down slightly and nearing a cliff.

Tavares would be a great option if he wasn't playing 2nd fiddle, still wouldn't be a bad option though if you don't expect to see much better in the draft.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    I wouldn't personally consider Seguin unless Dallas makes some convincing moves. To me that's a team that's swimming mediocrity and with an average player age of 30 they're probably trending down slightly and nearing a cliff.

Tavares would be a great option if he wasn't playing 2nd fiddle, still wouldn't be a bad option though if you don't expect to see much better in the draft.
    Thanks for that -- I think, in my head, my value assessment of each of these guys is still stuck in pre-pandemic mode, lol.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    "What I'm hearing is that I have a pretty deep set of 'tweeners', guys who are close to interchangeable in terms of value -- Nurse, Werenski, Reinhart, Buchnevich, Hart. Maybe my best bet to is to dangle everyone other than Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Guentzel, and Svechnikov, and just see if there are any takers. If it's too close to call on most of these guys, I might be better off with a few extra 4th/5th/6th round picks."

Well you answered your own question and provided the correct advice before I got a chance!! (:

Kuch and Vasi are the no brainers. Absolutely elite. Then things get a bit more difficult but I honestly believe that both Svech and Guenzel can and will improve. Maybe one or both truly becomes elite and that's across many of your scoring cats. So, there is your core of 4.

I have used the term "elite" on purpose. In a keep six, your ultimate goal is to have a core of six elite players. I don't think your quite there, some work needs to be done.

Your biggest weakness is on Defence. I hear ya on EK, absolutely elite, but I'm afraid those days are gone. IMO, none of your other D are elite, even if they have "good" years, none of these guys is or will become and elite defencemen IMO.

I would settle for pick upgrades only as a last resort, my primary focus would be to package up those "tweener" assets that you have and go after an elite defencemen. Would a package of Werenski, Nurse and Tarasenko be enough to pry loose a defencmen like Hedman, Theodore or Hughes as an example. I'm just throwing out names, but this is the kind of deal you should look to work towards.

Good luck!
    Thanks for this -- I just did a full review of all other teams' rosters, looking to find a potential partner, i.e., someone with not a lot of strong keepers. Found one: he doesn't have an elite Dmen, but he does have 1 centre of definite interest. I'll see how it goes.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers