Thread: Kahkonen value

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Kahkonen value

I'm very interested in getting Kappo Kahkonen in my keeper league (do not take my lineup in consideration).

What is his value in a keeper league in term of prospects, pro players or draft picks?

He has been available for the expansion draft, so wondering if he's in the plan for Minnesota with Talbot.

What potential do you see in him?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Kahkonen value

I think it's an optimal time to go fishing for Kahkonen if you're interested in acquiring him.

Expansion draft exposure, drafting Wallstedt - that's more than enough to give the KK owner some doubt (and you a window to try and get him).

Can't speak to what return/assets might be appropriate without knowing all of your league info - but I do think it's a great time to ask around if you're high on him.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Administrator

Teams have two goalies on the roster so why wouldn't he be in their plans? They protected Talbot because of recency bias and they are lucky they didn't get burned.

I'd definitely go in with a low offer trying to get him for cheap. I like the goalie but goalies in general suck in fantasy so I can't put a lot of stock into any of them.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm certainly not convinced that the Wild front office are confident and comfortable with their current goaltending. The Wild have 29 Mil in CAP space to work with. They need to sign Kaprizov and Fiala but even if they overpay for both they still have a lot of CAP available to land a big fish. Interesting, because there are still a considerable number of " big fish" Goalies on the market that could take the starting job in Minnesota and if they so choose, the Wild have the CAP to make that happen. All this to say that Kahkonen's value and opportunity are very much up in the air IMO. Kahkonen is a decent gaolie prospect and if you pay a fair price he is worth acquiring but, you should pay that fair price understanding that the road to a full time goaltending gig in Minnesota may be longer than you think. If you can wait until this gets resolved one way or the other that might be the best course of action. Still, this might be a good time to pursue a deal but don't pay the price associated with a starting or a 1A/1B goalie, rather pay the price for a decent goalie prospect.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Star

Now is probably the best time to buy Kahkonen if you can hold long term. He'll have the same disfavor that Saros had at this time last year, when many people felt Saros was must-sell-immediately solely because of the drafting of Askarov. Kahkonen hasn't changed. So if you were a Kahkonen believer two months ago, now's the time to grab him and see where his career goes.

Dobber Sports Icon

He might be an average back up goaltender. That's his ceiling. The Wild don't really like him and clearly neither do the Kraken. I doubt he's worth his acquisition cost.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    He might be an average back up goaltender. That's his ceiling. The Wild don't really like him and clearly neither do the Kraken. I doubt he's worth his acquisition cost.
    Can you really say that for certain? You may be correct on all of this, but I'm not sure if we really know this for certain.

Kahkonen had phenomenal numbers in the AHL and very good numbers in his first NHL season. To say that he will only be an average back up goalie seems to be selling him short. I think he could still be an NHL starter.

As for Minnesota not liking him, I think that's an unfair assumption based on them protecting Talbot over him. I admit to being surprised by that decision, but choosing to protect Talbot doesn't necessarily mean they don't like Kahkonen also.

And the Kraken not taking Kahkonen, although also a bit of a surprise to me, doesn't necessarily mean they don't like him. They got two really good goalies in the draft, and Soucy is a really good stay-at-home dman.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Can you really say that for certain? You may be correct on all of this, but I'm not sure if we really know this for certain.
    I can say that the Wild did not think that Kahkonen would be more than a back up goalie with certainty.

I cannot say that he could be an average back up for certain as I cannot predict the future.