Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal drafts Logan Mailloux in 1st round

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Montreal drafts Logan Mailloux in 1st round

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You're fine with drafting him? Wow.

Do you have a daughter?
    Dude made a mistake and he's paying for it.
    Have you never made a mistake? Highly doubtful.

He's a kid 16 years old. She is 18 is that not statutory rape? (Idk rules in Sweden)
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    Not only you pick a kid that had no business being picked right now but you also rob him of the chance to write his own story back. .
    Yes first round was definitely not the place for him, but he was getting picked at some point regardless. He lost his chance at an untainted selection when he distributed that photo. He only has himself to blame. He renounced himself from the draft, but like the woman whom he distributed the photo of, he doesn't get a choice.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post

He's a kid 16 years old. She is 18 is that not statutory rape? (Idk rules in Sweden)
    You clearly don't see it or get the severity of this and see the bigger picture.

Montreal making this pick is indefensible and inexcusable. God, the kid even renounced himself from the draft because he knew he has work to do to better himself. Now Bergevin has just thrown more fuel on this fire.

Just a bad bad choice.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't know, man. Is he paying for it? How?

Regardless, the matter is, he shouldn't have been picked at all. He made the right decision to ask teams to withdraw his name from the draft. The next year could've done wonders for him in trying to re-establish his character to teams.

Not all mistakes are the same. To brush away what he did simply because everyone makes mistakes is concerning. You don't learn from this kind of stuff in a short amount of time. He needed way more time to reflect and rebound from this. He still can, honestly. But the Habs should've let him do it on his own terms, not theirs.

Dobber Sports Pro

Yes first round was definitely not the place for him, but he was getting picked at some point regardless. He lost his chance at an untainted selection when he distributed that photo. He only has himself to blame. He renounced himself from the draft, but like the woman whom he distributed the photo of, he doesn't get a choice.
    Would he have been drafted at some point? Who knows? Maybe, maybe not. Point stays the same and it would've been the same had the Flames or Ducks or Rangers, or Lightning had selected him in the 2nd, 3rd or 6th round. Bad pick.

Dobber Sports Deity

I can see this ending up like Mitchell Miller last year for Arizona. A wasted pick after it gets renounced due to growing scrutiny.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

He was punished what was set forth by law. So yes paid the price. Was it enough? I'd say no, but that's only on the fault of law makers. He's also just a minor. He public acknowledge his wrong doing and is also shamed in the public eye. By being drafted here he was also robbed of the opportunity to fully enjoy being selected. Good. No one is brushing this away.

I firmly believe one mistake doesn't make a person, and rehabilitation more important than punishment.

Dobber Sports Master

this seemed easy to avoid but bergy dove head first.

Dobber Sports Pro

He was punished what was set forth by law. So yes paid the price. Was it enough? I'd say no, but that's only on the fault of law makers. He's also just a minor. He public acknowledge his wrong doing and is also shamed in the public eye. By being drafted here he was also robbed of the opportunity to fully enjoy being selected. Good. No one is brushing this away.

I firmly believe one mistake doesn't make a person, and rehabilitation more important than punishment.
    Not enough for me. The thing is, it's not really about punishment but more about learning from his mistake.

What's the better course of action for him to learn of his mistakes? Draft him, mentor him and mold him into the man you want him to be? Or let him learn on his own, make his own choices and see how those impact him and those around him?

I'm totally with you that one mistake doesn't make a person. But for that person to learn from that mistake, he has to be given a chance to do it as he sees fit. Do we really believe the Habs won't surround him with ton of support and help? Of course they will. And while that's great on the surface, it'll actually insulate him from growing up and learning from what he did. Anyway, that's how I look at it.

Plus, none of this takes into account how this looks for women and only enforces what people see as hockey culture. But that's another debate.

Dobber Sports Sage

What's the better course of action for him to learn of his mistakes? Draft him, mentor him and mold him into the man you want him to be? Or let him learn on his own, make his own choices and see how those impact him and those around him?
    He's been on the learning on his own path. Obviously hasn't been working right. He needs support / intervention. By his statement it seems like he see's how his choices impacted others. Also an opportunity to try and redeem his wrong doings. He can serve that better as a hockey player than a bum on street that cancel culture wants to do to him.

Dobber Sports Pro

He's been on the learning on his own path. Obviously hasn't been working right. He needs support / intervention. By his statement it seems like he see's how his choices impacted others. Also an opportunity to try and redeem his wrong doings. He can serve that better as a hockey player than a bum on street that cancel culture wants to do to him.
    There is a massive difference between having support from an organization that's drafted you and has a vested financial interest in you and going out on your own and getting the support you need.

I understand he's said all the right words so far but there is still a long way to go.

And there is still a massive world between hockey culture and cancel culture. Not everything is that black ans white. The major point remains that his "rehabilitation" should've been up to him and his close ones and not the Montreal Canadiens.

Dobber Sports Sage

I understand he's said all the right words so far but there is still a long way to go.

And there is still a massive world between hockey culture and cancel culture. Not everything is that black ans white. The major point remains that his "rehabilitation" should've been up to him and his close ones and not the Montreal Canadiens.
    I never said he didn't have a long way to go.

The organization is there for support. Like an addict, only the individual can decide himself if he truly wants to change. But support goes a long ways.

If no change is occurring / has occurred than I would truly hope that they would cut ties then.

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't know how many times Bergevin said the word "unacceptable" in his prepared presser last night to defend his decision lady night but even having to say it once should have been enough of a reason why this pick shouldn't have happened. Clearly it's not unacceptable to Bergevin.

The Montreal Canadiens are a professional hockey team, not a rehabilitation center. It shouldn't be their responsibility to get this young man help. He should be getting the help he needs before focusing on hockey. Bergevin and the Canadiens just took that from him by selecting him last night.

If this was the NFL, he'd already be cut from his respective team. In the NHL he's a 1st round pick three days after asking teams not to pick him. Embarrassing and shameful. I have no idea how anyone can defend this decision by Bergevin today, especially him.

I can only imagine what that young woman in Sweden is thinking today. I can't even begin to imagine what women everywhere are saying about this.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I don't know how many times Bergevin said the word "unacceptable" in his prepared presser last night to defend his decision lady night but even having to say it once should have been enough of a reason why this pick shouldn't have happened. Clearly it's not unacceptable to Bergevin.

The Montreal Canadiens are a professional hockey team, not a rehabilitation center. It shouldn't be their responsibility to get this young man help. He should be getting the help he needs before focusing on hockey. Bergevin and the Canadiens just took that from him by selecting him last night.

If this was the NFL, he'd already be cut from his respective team. In the NHL he's a 1st round pick three days after asking teams not to pick him. Embarrassing and shameful. I have no idea how anyone can defend this decision by Bergevin today, especially him.
    Habs don't need to do anything. But they obviously feel Logan, a human being like you or me, is worth the time to do so! No one is defending Logan's actions, but it's much more healthier for everyone for Logan to get support and change himself then to completely destroy his life. From Logan's words he obviously wants to be better, so it starts there. I mean that could all just be to try and save face, but I'm sure in the interviews MB would of tried to see if Logan was 'faking it or not'.

Can always cut ties with him later if it's not working out (and I would hope they would!)

Dobber Sports Ace

Isn’t he facing criminal charges too?
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR: