Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [Trade] OEL and Garland to Vancouver

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: [Trade] OEL and Garland to Vancouver

My take was pretty spot on. This trade was about making the playoffs, not winning the cup and it all was dependent on the core and OEL/Garland wouldn't change the overall team. OEL tho is doing things in SOG/Hits league, but points....oh my 3pts in 16gp.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    Garland and OEL are 2 of the players that give a shit this season, i have no issues with the trade.

the rest of the canucks i cant say they give a shit consistently enough. gm + coaching change is needed. idk what more is needed after a 7-1, 7-4 then 5-1 drubbing in 4 days.
    Pretty much this. If you were to rank the top 5 best canucks this season, both OEL and Garland would be in the top 5. Looking at the trade in a vacuum, you would probably call it a pretty successful trade (aware of remaining OEL contract). It is everything else that is rough.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    Garland and OEL are 2 of the players that give a shit this season, i have no issues with the trade.

the rest of the canucks i cant say they give a shit consistently enough. gm + coaching change is needed. idk what more is needed after a 7-1, 7-4 then 5-1 drubbing in 4 days.
    While I think Green is a good coach, you can't fire the players and this team needs a jumpstart. There is enough talent but it obviously is not working. As an owner of several Canucks, I'd love to see Boudreau get the call.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

So sorry giving up $12M in cap flexibility, Dylan Guenther, and another top 40 pick isn't bad because Garland is a decent middle six winger and OEL has been a solid #4, and Vancouver is still gonna finish bottom 10? Ok then.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    So sorry giving up $12M in cap flexibility, Dylan Guenther, and another top 40 pick isn't bad because Garland is a decent middle six winger and OEL has been a solid #4, and Vancouver is still gonna finish bottom 10? Ok then.
    100% correct

But…but…sputter…deny…platitude bs about what a good player is…
    Just…no.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Star

if a team was rebuilding or clearly terrible id agree with this assessment. that isnt the case here, the canucks have a clear young core that werent going to sign long-term if management didnt try to help them win so i maintain im still fine with garland and OEL cause i believe it directly correlated to quinn and petey signing extensions.

a shakeup is needed as the players have clearly tuned out coach green and/or gm benning. i could go down the list of each player but when a whole team is underachieving this badly its not just the players. ill give garland and OEL more than 10 games to assess the trade. i could see a new coach re-invigorating the squad like darryl sutter has for calgary.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

So they trade for OEL and Garland, and then 3 months after that trade the trade convinced an RFA ineligible for an offer sheet and an RFA clearly not receiving an offer sheet to sign 6 and 3 year contracts. Well that timeline definitely makes sense for sure.

Dobber Sports Star

So they trade for OEL and Garland, and then 3 months after that trade the trade convinced an RFA ineligible for an offer sheet and an RFA clearly not receiving an offer sheet to sign 6 and 3 year contracts. Well that timeline definitely makes sense for sure.
    if this was sarcasm, it didnt translate well. if it wasnt, my apologies.

if i had to carry roussel, eriksson and beagle another year after seeing tanev, edler, markstrom, and toffoli just let go unceremoniously i definitely wouldnt sign long-term. id sign 1 year deal then try to leave again next offseason. i see the garland/oel deal as a make good deal to keep my possibly disgruntled employees happy so they dont sign an offer sheet or ask for a trade.

i can agree with poor asset management that led to having to do this type of risky trade as not good. A top 4 dman + top 6 forward typically costs more than a 1st, 2nd and salary dump though.

i think its a coaching issue. most gms dont get to pick their THIRD coach so benning has to go also.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Losing the 1st was the one stinger of this deal.
    but there was enough cap savings in this deal to re-sign hughes & Pettersson.
    they don't make this trade - there's a good chance one of the two gets offer sheeted.

A trade of necessity it was. can't say they lost this deal because they eliminated three half-melted pylons... less than useless, players didn't even have to try to go around them
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

OEL and Garland have a higher combined cap hit than Beagel, Roussell, and Eriksson combined. They also have said cap hit for 4+ years each, where as the three they traded away expired at the end of this year.

The Canucks had negative cap savings.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dont feed the troll.

Good trade not sure how anyone in their sane mind can dispute this.

As always, 90%+ of forum members have no idea what trolling actually is. As always.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Dont feed the troll.

Good trade not sure how anyone in their sane mind can dispute this.

I think it remains to be seen if it is a good trade or not. If Garland is a 60+ point player and OEL is a good top 4 dman for the next couple seasons till age slows him down then I think it will be a good trade. Team success plays a role as well. With the way their season is shaping up they won't be a playoff team and this was definitely a win-now trade.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Garland and OEL are two of the best Canucks so far this season. I agree that the team is the shits right now and that the timing might be wrong because they cant get to another level but the trade itself was the best of Benning i think. I believe its a coach thing and not a team thing. Not too late to turn it all around ����

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Losing the 1st was the one stinger of this deal.
    but there was enough cap savings in this deal to re-sign hughes & Pettersson.
    they don't make this trade - there's a good chance one of the two gets offer sheeted.

A trade of necessity it was. can't say they lost this deal because they eliminated three half-melted pylons... less than useless, players didn't even have to try to go around them
    I don't see how that's the case at all. Hughes wasn't even eligible for an offer sheet, so that leaves Petey. They waited long enough for both that it would not have been an issue to just hold out on Hughes if they had an offer sheet.

This deal was always contingent on the Canucks being better than they are. The team and Benning bet on last season being an anomaly that was the result of Covid and that they were more truly like the team in the bubble. So they made a very risky trade giving up a top 10 pick, and long term cap space based on the idea that this team would take the next step.

The crazy part is they didn't even gain cap space. When they signed Garland (who they signed before their big RFA's, which invalidates the hypothesis about fearing offer sheets) they actually added 210k to their cap hit.

Now you can make the argument that Garland represented an opportunity to add a potential top 6 forward but they gave up a future potential top 6 forward who was younger and cost controlled. And they added a dman that has widely fallen a long way's from his heyday. All to be rid of short term cap pain? They actually added cap inflexibility in the deal somehow. Arguably this actually made the negotiations with Petey and Hughes harder.

I'm not sure how you defend the deal right now. It looks bad.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson