Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [Trade] OEL and Garland to Vancouver

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: [Trade] OEL and Garland to Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    There is no way this isn’t a terrible trade for Vancouver. The OEL contract is anchor that will weigh them down until they pay another high pick to get rid of it. And to top it all off Guenther fell to Arizona at 9. When the window opens for the core kids in a few years Guenther and that cap space would be far more useful than OEL being gone and Garland.
    I agree with TD's valuation on Guenther + cap space being the better long-term asset package... but I can also appreciate that sometimes, you have to play for "now" (often at the cost of the future somewhat).

Whether the OEL/Garland additions to the existing VAN core are enough to put them into legit contender status is definitely debatable... but coming off a year where MTL surprised everyone to get to the final, I can understand how the adage of "just get into the playoffs - anything can happen" would be compelling to VAN.

And considering they just paid a 3rd pre-expansion to get Dickinson too... it seems clear that Benning is pushing his chips into the middle.

I like this deal, especially considering the state of the Pacific Division... but agree it's a gamble with a price to be paid later. That said, if Van makes the finals or wins a cup... no one cares about the price "after".
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Titan

One of the biggest gambles an ownership group can do is allow a GM to "push his chips into the middle" when your cap situation is what the Canucks cap situation is. Saying "just get in" is all you need to do and pointing to MTL, and pointing at other things is just disguising the future issues you have made for yourself and this is your "saving my job" move.

Benning is at the end of his leash, yet has made moves that have given him a bit of cache with the ownership group to gain trust in a big deal like this. However, this to me is a good move for Vancouver, but also an attempt at sacrificing the teams future for Bennings own job. If it doesn't work out, Benning is likely fired and the cap issues aren't his issues anymore. If it works out, then he keeps his job for a bit longer and he'll deal with it then.

OEL and Garland don't make this team that scary. However Demko, Miller, Pettersson, Boeser haven't been fully healthy and starting together and they've dealt with COVID last yr. Your team is flawed, but can sneak into the playoffs, but what is Benning's goal? Making the playoffs to save his job, or sustained success? To me the goal for him is just to make the playoffs. Cause OEL in 3yrs at that cap hit...I don't know.

At the same time, Benning really only gave up a pick that wouldn't be an NHLer when Benning was still the GM likely. So to him this is a win-win.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

OEL and Garland don't make this team that scary. However Demko, Miller, Pettersson, Boeser haven't been fully healthy and starting together and they've dealt with COVID last yr. Your team is flawed, but can sneak into the playoffs, but what is Benning's goal? Making the playoffs to save his job, or sustained success? To me the goal for him is just to make the playoffs. Cause OEL in 3yrs at that cap hit...I don't know.
    I would say adding Garland gives Vancouver one of the best top 6s in hockey. The Lotto Line has been one of the best top lines when everyone is rolling while Borvat and Garland will make a very strong 2nd line with Hoglander getting the first crack at the top 6 winger spot. Then you have Dickinson, Pearson, and Pods making a potentially strong 3rd line. I really like the makeup of Vancouver's top 3 lines and you have young players that can breakout. Obviously, the biggest question is the defense. But if OEL rebounds, Hughes takes a step forward, and Rathbone gives a solid performance then the D can become closer to average. And then you have Demko who played very well last season. I know I am being very optimistic but there is a reasonable path for the Canucks to be very good next season. Excluding the top teams, everyone has holes and question marks but the Canucks have enough elite players and young breakout candidates to make them a good candidate to be one of unexpected top team next season.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I would say adding Garland gives Vancouver one of the best top 6s in hockey. The Lotto Line has been one of the best top lines when everyone is rolling while Borvat and Garland will make a very strong 2nd line with Hoglander getting the first crack at the top 6 winger spot. Then you have Dickinson, Pearson, and Pods making a potentially strong 3rd line. I really like the makeup of Vancouver's top 3 lines and you have young players that can breakout. Obviously, the biggest question is the defense. But if OEL rebounds, Hughes takes a step forward, and Rathbone gives a solid performance then the D can become closer to average. And then you have Demko who played very well last season. I know I am being very optimistic but there is a reasonable path for the Canucks to be very good next season. Excluding the top teams, everyone has holes and question marks but the Canucks have enough elite players and young breakout candidates to make them a good candidate to be one of unexpected top team next season.
    It will be interesting to see what Benning's next moves are. Whether Schmidt and Holtby stay or not. If they sign Edler or Sutter.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Jedi

great deal for both teams.

Van getting rid of Roussel, Beagle & Eriksson in one deal is a win.
    The fact they traded L.E. period makes this a win
    Garland gives Van the top 6 winger they have wanted since Toffoli left
    roll the dice that OEL's decline is due more to his displeasure in Arizona than his actual skills declining (players suffer from stress & mental health as well - can be a huge factor in on-ice performance)

Arz. takes on short term $$ to offload OEL & snag a top 10 pick in a year they forfeited their 1st.
    Huge win for a team needing impact players.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Re-visiting this one...
    OEL still sucks.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I have to admit that I thought it was a good trade for Vancouver. My assessment was based on the fact that I thought the Canucks' other 'top' players would be doing much better than they are now.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Re-visiting this one...
    OEL still sucks.
    And overpaid.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    And overpaid.
    Bringo!!

As was said, Garland was a nice add and has been decent. But the pick and the cap space vs. this contact...man does this OEL contract look terrible already.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Whom could have seen this coming.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Jim Benning right now:
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Sage

I liked the trade.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Sage

Our old friend Thomas Drance and the other Vancouver media members I listen to have raved about OEL this season and how the trade has been a success so far. I know OEL's stats are not fantasy-relevant but his overall game has been very good- at least that's I hear. I watch the extended highlights and follow the Canucks but I don't get to watch many of their games so this is all hearsay.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

I’m not sure what the hubbub is about. He has a CF of 55.6% even though his offensive zone starts are only 46%. His SOG/60 has improved significantly over past seasons. He’s had bad luck but that normally should turn around.

Dobber Sports Star

Garland and OEL are 2 of the players that give a shit this season, i have no issues with the trade.

the rest of the canucks i cant say they give a shit consistently enough. gm + coaching change is needed. idk what more is needed after a 7-1, 7-4 then 5-1 drubbing in 4 days.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.