Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [Trade] OEL and Garland to Vancouver

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: [Trade] OEL and Garland to Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    I don't see how that's the case at all. Hughes wasn't even eligible for an offer sheet, so that leaves Petey. They waited long enough for both that it would not have been an issue to just hold out on Hughes if they had an offer sheet.

This deal was always contingent on the Canucks being better than they are. The team and Benning bet on last season being an anomaly that was the result of Covid and that they were more truly like the team in the bubble. So they made a very risky trade giving up a top 10 pick, and long term cap space based on the idea that this team would take the next step.

The crazy part is they didn't even gain cap space. When they signed Garland (who they signed before their big RFA's, which invalidates the hypothesis about fearing offer sheets) they actually added 210k to their cap hit.

Now you can make the argument that Garland represented an opportunity to add a potential top 6 forward but they gave up a future potential top 6 forward who was younger and cost controlled. And they added a dman that has widely fallen a long way's from his heyday. All to be rid of short term cap pain? They actually added cap inflexibility in the deal somehow. Arguably this actually made the negotiations with Petey and Hughes harder.

I'm not sure how you defend the deal right now. It looks bad.
    I think you can say the deal is good, and still say that Benning needs to go. Garland is not a potential top 6 forward, he is a top 6 forward, and so far the way he has played his year, he is a top line forward. Currently, he is ranked 31 in EV points. God forbid that he actually moves onto PP1.

This team has so many more problems than this deal in itself, this deal will be won and lost in the future. I think this deal will age well into the future. I personally think people are overvaluing the 1st round picks in the past years draft, way to much volatility as a result of lack of playing time.

Either way, Benning needs to go, and probably the coach as well.

Dobber Sports Guru

The problem with the deal wasn't getting OEL and Garland the players, it was getting OEL with that contract.
    They were a year away from some financial freedom--and that could've been used to build a more balanced D corp. Instead, they've got OEL and Myers taking up $13M+ for the next 3+ years. Add that to QHughes's contract and there's just so little to build the bottom 3 D.

That said, this team shouldn't be as bad as they've played. Benning has made some missteps, but looking at this roster, and it seems like they should be a lot better. And if they could fix the special teams, they probably would be. They get free of the $3.5M going to Luongo next season, so that'll help (and I don't think Boeser gets too much of a raise based on the last couple years).

I just tossed a small bet on them to win the Division and the Cup (I don't expect them to actually do those things, but I think they'll win enough going forward for me to cash them out when they the odds shift closer to what they were to start the season).
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Star

first i dont believe rataylor was trolling at all. i believe he truly thinks its a bad deal. in a vacuum it is indeed very risky and it is difficult to quantify the other stuff like player happiness and getting current players to sign and all that.

i used to overvalue cap space but i dont anymore. doesnt matter if you have cap space if noone wants to sign with you and/or you have to overpay. going for OEL for 6 years 7.26 seems about right if he were to be a UFA today after sjones and all those other guys got 9.5m when they werent even UFAs yet. garland at 4.95m per season through his prime is pretty not bad also. a 1st rounder outside of the top 5 probably wont make an impact in the NHL for 2-3 years. i do not think youll be able to sell to the team to wait another 2-3 more years for 1 kid to possibly help and put us over the top.

all in all as mentioned already these trades were all predicated as win now moves to improve the team for the current season. i would say OEL and garland have improved the team. unfortunately, the rest of the team is a dumpster fire which is very very disappointing.

i was really disappointed benning/green werent fired yesterday in their meeting with ownership.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Master

Those two players are not the reason this team is losing. It’s a system and player role selection thing.

Chiasson to 4th line no more pp
    Pearson to 4th line no more pp

Top 6 are Pettersson, boeser, Miller, horvat, Garland, hoglander.

Mix and match and let them play already.

(While the other lines probably get caved in anyway.. )

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post

Top 6 are Pettersson, boeser, Miller, horvat, Garland, hoglander.

Mix and match and let them play already.

(While the other lines probably get caved in anyway.. )
    Agreed. The problem is that the Lotto line has been terrible. I know Green wants the Horvat line as more of a shutdown, play-driving line while Petersson's line is the heavy, o-zone start pure offense line but until Petersson gets his act together, it needs to be switched up. Miller, Garland, and Hoglander have been their best forwards this season and they need to be put in the best position to produce. I think I'd try:

Horvat, Miller, Garland
    Petersson, Boeser, Hoglander

And put Garland on the damn PP1.
    Last edited by Daydream Nation; November 18, 2021 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typos
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Fair enough, he’s been in Arizona, but people clearly haven’t being paying attention to OELs performance for the last couple years. He’s been a disaster and this is a terrible trade for Van.

Also, this has nothing to do with Tocchet’s coaching. OELs decline pre-dated Tocchet.
    Whom could have seen this coming.
    This trade, despite people trying to defend it, was just awful at the time.

Somehow, it manages to look even worse now. Worst trade in Canucks franchise history?

Dobber Sports Deity

Somehow, it manages to look even worse now. Worst trade in Canucks franchise history?
    Anytime I hear "worst trade in Canucks history", my mind automatically goes to Cam Neely. The OEL one is definitely up there, but the Cam Neely one was a really bad one too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I'd say the Rick Vaive to Toronto was 2nd worst behind Neely.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I'd say the Rick Vaive to Toronto was 2nd worst behind Neely.
    It's funny you mention Vaive as I played in a one day hockey tournament last week for the Hockey Helps the Homeless charity here in Halifax and the tournament has former NHL players involved and playing. Each team got to "draft" one former player and Rick Vaive was one of the players playing in the tournament. My team didnt get him, we drafted Keith Acton, but it was still cool seeing Vaive and some of the other former players. Guys like Rob May, Dandenault, Ethan Moreau, Laraque, Corson and Raffi Torres played. Fun times. I managed to stop Raffi Torres on a penalty shot.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It's funny you mention Vaive as I played in a one day hockey tournament last week for the Hockey Helps the Homeless charity here in Halifax and the tournament has former NHL players involved and playing. Each team got to "draft" one former player and Rick Vaive was one of the players playing in the tournament. My team didnt get him, we drafted Keith Acton, but it was still cool seeing Vaive and some of the other former players. Guys like Rob May, Dandenault, Ethan Moreau, Laraque, Corson and Raffi Torres played. Fun times. I managed to stop Raffi Torres on a penalty shot.
    Very nice! Good job Axe
    League 1
    10 team, Dynasty, points only, 30 players, keep20 starts 12 F, 6 D, 2G , unlimited prospects(can keep them max 5 years)
    F: Mackinnon,Marner, Panarin, Eichel, Fiala, Hughes, Svechnikov, Robertson, Bratt, Kuznetsov, Hischier, B.Tkachuk, M.Tkachuk, Scheifele, Wheeler, Jenner, Drouin, Tatar, Colton
    D:Hughes, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dunn, Burns, Theodore, Slavin, Trouba G: Shesterkin, Binnington, Vanecek
    League2
    Cap league (82.5M with AAV), points only, 12 teams, keep 7, (9F, 4D, 2G)
    F: Hughes, Zuccarello,RNH, Marchessault, Scheifele, Toffoli, O’Reilly, Trocheck, Buchnevich extra: Marchenko
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Seider, Andersson
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

[QUOTE=Axeman33;2217163]It's funny you mention Vaive as I played in a one day hockey tournament last week for the Hockey Helps the Homeless charity here in Halifax and the tournament has former NHL players involved and playing. Each team got to "draft" one former player and Rick Vaive was one of the players playing in the tournament. My team didnt get him, we drafted Keith Acton, but it was still cool seeing Vaive and some of the other former players. Guys like Rob May, Dandenault, Ethan Moreau, Laraque, Corson and Raffi Torres played. Fun times. I managed to stop Raffi Torres on a penalty shot.[/QUOTE]

You can now say you've stopped a penalty shot from a former NHL player. It's true, and a great little story.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

“Ya, I remember the time I stopped Raffl Torres on a penalty shot”. Nice little tidbit to drop into any hockey conversation.
    And your buddy responds, “yeah, wait, what ?”
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    “Ya, I remember the time I stopped Raffl Torres on a penalty shot”. Nice little tidbit to drop into any hockey conversation.
    And your buddy responds, “yeah, wait, what ?”
    LOL! Ya, it was fun. The stick tap to the pads after was pretty funny too.

Im not going to get into the conversations I had with Laraque when we played his team. Great guy with a heavy snap shot but we did chirp each other a few times on the ice. He DID beat me on a breakaway. Nice deke for a slower skater.

Ooof

Dobber Sports Star

I'll throw the already-substantially-better-than-Wendel-Clark-at-the-time Mats Sundin for Wendel Clark deal in there. Those 30 points by Clark for Quebec before complaining his way out of town was worth it.