Thread: NTC thoughts

The Great One

Default NTC thoughts

With Seth Jones rumblings I was thinking “no way in hell I’d take a trade to Chicago right now.” Toxic organization and if there’s any justice the league will punish them in a manner that makes the Arizona scouting violation punishment look like a walk in the park. It got me thinking - if I had a 10 team no trade list (as Seth Jones does), who would be on it...

For me it would be
    Boston - yuck
    Chicago - double yuck
    Arizona - shit show
    Columbus - doubled down on Torts system
    Buffalo - obvious
    Calgary - pass on Sutter
    Vancouver - Benning
    Edmonton - Holland
    Minnesota - cap hell
    San Jose - so many problems
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: NTC thoughts

As much with the situation in Chicago with the events from years past, and how horrible the cover-up seems to be, I don't see the league going too hard on Chicago because the people who were responsible at the time (cover-up, et.al) are mostly no longer with the organization. Likely some fines for the executives and the owner, but that will be about it. I am not saying I agree with that punishment, what happened was horrible, but sadly I don't see much being done.

As for what 10 teams would be on the list... I think Boston, Edmonton and even Chicago are more ideal teams compared to others. Here is how I'd rank them (if I was a player);

1. Buffalo -- disfunction after disfunction and so much negativity
    2. Arizona -- lack of a fan base and any kind of recognition in the media
    3. Winnipeg -- The team is good, but the winters and taxes SUCK
    4. Calgary -- Sutter's system is a pain, and like Winnipeg, winters and taxes are no fun
    5. Ottawa -- The team is up and coming, but this team is the 3rd most popular in its own city behind Toronto and Montreal. Throw in a dysfunctional owner as the cherry on top.
    6. Minnesota -- Their cap situation is going to be brutal, and this team will not be competitive until all of those CAP penalties are gone. Throw in small market and cold weather.
    7. Seattle -- It is early in their existence, but Francis seems to be playing more of a long game, and this team will not be good for a few years.
    8. Columbus -- They still have a lot to figure out. They could be good though, just really tough to say.
    9. Nashville -- They are going to be in a world of hurt in the next few seasons with bad contracts and an aging core. Throw in small market media and yeah, that's no fun.
    10. San Jose -- Too many big contracts on too many aging pieces. Will struggle to be a playoff team for many years but not actually get anywhere.

Why is Boston good... because they are still in win now mode, and can very well make a push to win this season.
    Why is Edmonton good... because regardless of Holland, playing on the save team as McDavid should always give you a chance to win.
    Why is Chicago good... because they are somehow making their bad cap situation good, and have great prospects to pair with vets like Kane and Toews. (Organizational disfunction aside)
    Why is Vancouver good... because they are trending up with their young talent, and Vancouver itself has a good fan base and not horrible winters.

Just my 2 cents
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    With Seth Jones rumblings I was thinking “no way in hell I’d take a trade to Chicago right now.” Toxic organization and if there’s any justice the league will punish them in a manner that makes the Arizona scouting violation punishment look like a walk in the park. It got me thinking - if I had a 10 team no trade list (as Seth Jones does), who would be on it...

For me it would be
    Boston - yuck
    Chicago - double yuck
    Arizona - shit show
    Columbus - doubled down on Torts system
    Buffalo - obvious
    Calgary - pass on Sutter
    Vancouver - Benning
    Edmonton - Holland
    Minnesota - cap hell
    San Jose - so many problems
    I think my list would be driven by the following:
    - 25% future of team / chance of winning
    - 25% my own likely role on the team
    - 50% the city itself

You gotta imagine quite a lot of the non-coastal teams have a hard time attracting players, given their terrible climate and generally less-livable/desirable cities. Generalizing a bit of course, and plenty of hockey players are from those types of towns which helps, but that would be my thinking.

I guess if you're 20 years old and don't have a family, city matters less. But I'd think players would start to factor in city quite a bit if they have family.

Dobber Sports Star

For an American player that wants to win, I believe Seth's list would be

1. Toronto
    2. Montreal
    3. Ottawa
    4. Winnipeg
    5. Vancouver
    6. Calgary
    7. Edmonton
    8. Buffalo
    9. Arizona
    10. Detroit

He'll want no part of Canada due to additional hassle in taxes.
    Some teams will act as a pseudo no-trade because theyre rebuilding so they want pay primetime assets for a player like him anyways (think San Jose, Anaheim, LA). Buffalo/Arizona/Detroit seem furthest from a cup window.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.