Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do we believe in Sam Bennett?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Do we believe in Sam Bennett?

Mixed bag history. Some definite positives since heading to Florida.
    May be worth the flyer but depends on your mix of keepers already. Who loses their spot on your roster if your keep him?
    9 Team Points Only Dynasty - 27 Player Roster (17 Keepers) - 12 F, 6 D, 2 UTL, 2 G, 5 Bench - 2.5G, 2A, 1PP, 2SHG, 1SHA, 3W, 2SO, 1OTL, 0.05SV

F: J Robertson, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Aho, Kaprizov, Scheifele, Connor, DeBrincat, Cozens, Ehlers, Toffoli, Kopitar, Trocheck, Schmaltz, W Johnston, Teravainen, J Quinn
    D: Dahlin, Werenski, M Rielly, S Jones, McCavoy, Gustafsson
    G: Shesterkin, Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by JSquared View Post
    Mixed bag history. Some definite positives since heading to Florida.
    May be worth the flyer but depends on your mix of keepers already. Who loses their spot on your roster if your keep him?
    It's a full dynasty and I am shallow at C so it is the opportunity cost of keeping him vs the offers I'm getting for him. I'm sitting on an offer of Forsberg plus which would have been a smash accept a year ago.

I'm not expecting he stays at his pace since he moved to Florida, but even at 50 points with PP1 time and peripherals he is worth more than Forsberg.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by 65jeff View Post
    It's a full dynasty and I am shallow at C so it is the opportunity cost of keeping him vs the offers I'm getting for him. I'm sitting on an offer of Forsberg plus which would have been a smash accept a year ago.

I'm not expecting he stays at his pace since he moved to Florida, but even at 50 points with PP1 time and peripherals he is worth more than Forsberg.
    EWF! My hesitancy includes the fact that Forsberg has 5 seasons 50+ points... Bennett tops out at 36. Yes he put up 15 points in 10 games in FLA... but I suppose it depends on where you are in your league. The "sure thing" has definite appeal if you're contending. Then again, if the trade offer is sweet enough, that's worth considering too.

The gamble may be easier to stomach if you're not yet contending - then you can make a trade if Bennett starts just as hot as he finished. Those offers will only get richer if he starts hot. Maybe you get solid upgrades in dishing both in a trade over the next few months.

Food for thought. Good luck man!
    9 Team Points Only Dynasty - 27 Player Roster (17 Keepers) - 12 F, 6 D, 2 UTL, 2 G, 5 Bench - 2.5G, 2A, 1PP, 2SHG, 1SHA, 3W, 2SO, 1OTL, 0.05SV

F: J Robertson, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Aho, Kaprizov, Scheifele, Connor, DeBrincat, Cozens, Ehlers, Toffoli, Kopitar, Trocheck, Schmaltz, W Johnston, Teravainen, J Quinn
    D: Dahlin, Werenski, M Rielly, S Jones, McCavoy, Gustafsson
    G: Shesterkin, Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 65jeff View Post

I'd like to know the "plus".
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Are you eating crow if he doesn't hit 50?
    Can I use spices and other condiments?
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    Can I use spices and other condiments?
    LOL! Whatever cranks your tractor.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

For me Bennett is the type of player worth gambling on because the payoff is potentially so damn large.

In the 15 total games Bennett has played for FLA (reg + playoffs) his stat line is a jaw dropping:

15 GP, 7 G, 13 A, 20 P, +12, 41 PIM, 57 SOG, 4 PPP, 3 GWG, 45 hits, 8 blocks, 75 FOW, 19:00 ATOI, 3:54 avg PP time.

82-game pace: 38 G, 71 A, 109 P, +66, 224 PIM, 312 SOG, 21 PPP, 16 GWG, 246 hits, 44 blocks, 410 FOW.

Yes, it's a hot streak and totally not sustainable. But those are serious numbers that shouldn't be disregarded... and show how potent he could be during a hot streak. Say those level off, it doesn't feel crazy to say that Bennett could do 25-30G, 65-70P, +15, 100 PIM, 250+ SOG, 20 PPP, 5 GWG, 200 hits, 40 blocks, 400 FOW.

I think penciling him in for 50 is a good conservative projection, knowing that he could go off and be a multicat MVP.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

One thing I realise that I failed to mention that's an important consideration is that it's a cap league.

When Forsberg gets a big money, max term contract somewhere next season his trade value will take a hit. This is probably why the other owner is OK moving him.

On the other hand Bennett also looks like a candidate to do a Tyler Johnson - in which case I'll be stuck with an immovable $5m-ish contract.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by JSquared View Post
    The "sure thing" has definite appeal if you're contending.
    I am contending and that was the decider. I went ahead and accepted the offer which was:

Give: Bennett, Sprong, 2022 4th, 2023 5th
    Receive: Forsberg, Verhaeghe, 2021 2nd

Thanks!

The Great One

Yuck. Don't like that one at all.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ace

Bennett has signed for 4.4 M x 4.

Given the acquisition of Reinhart, how are we feeling about Bennett in dynasty cap now?

I have the sixth overall pick in our draft, which is typically rookie heavy in the first couple of rounds. Someone, though, will surely take Bennett before he gets to me in the second round.

As a contending team, should I look to trade someone like, given the previous messages here, let's say Forsberg, for a second round pick, to then take Bennett in the first round, and two recent draftees for my farm in the second round?

Dobber Sports Superstar

I like this contract for both Bennett and the Panthers. I think it demonstrates that the Panthers believe in Bennett and are willing to give him a decent four year contract vice a "show me" bridge contract. Overall, one could argue that the Panthers have improved their team as much or perhaps more than any other in the NHL. So, while the risk remains I'm certainly feeling better about it and I'm feeling OK with that CAP hit.

It's a big IF, but, IF Bob can round back into some semblance of previous form the Cats might make some noise this year and a guy like Bennett might significantly contribute to a deeper playoff run. How's that for a fearless forecast (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Deity

I like Florida in the East. I believe they're a playoff team but they still have some defense concerns to address this offseason.

Dobber Sports Star

4.425m per for a good second line centre is a bargain. calculated risk that should pay off for florida.

sam reinhart coming to florida concerns me a bit though as he may take bennett's pp1 spot (hubs, barkov, hornqvist, ekblad and ??)
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    4.425m per for a good second line centre is a bargain. calculated risk that should pay off for florida.

sam reinhart coming to florida concerns me a bit though as he may take bennett's pp1 spot (hubs, barkov, hornqvist, ekblad and ??)
    Hornqvist will not be on PP1. He'll be PP2.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch