Poll: When should one include their email signature in work emails?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Email Signature (Work Version) - When to Use

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: The Email Signature (Work Version) - When to Use

D, for the reason Blayze says. It's super annoying to scroll through thread after thread to find contact info - that's a much worse outcome than long threads with signatures in them.

My organization is a complex one with lots of subsidiaries (therefore no common address book).

Dobber Sports Titan

Typically it's first email I send in a thread, regardless if it's interior or exterior. But if I know if it's a long email, and a professional big issue I'll include my signature every email. It just helps me when scrolling through older emails when I need to go back and forward it off saying "look i was right".
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thanks for all the replies.

Probably, to few surprise... my boss and I were split.

I do a) - just the first email, if going outside company - as I feel that a "keen" person should know that contact info should/will be at the first post in the email... and everything email SIG beyond #1 is just redundant information, i.e. CLUTTER.
    "Internal" emails would only circulate within our own 10-15 employees. We all know who we are and how to get a hold of each other. We can recognize each other by the email address alone.

My boss does d) - every email.
    When there's a long email chain and his signature is longer than his posts... to me... that's "clutter".
    One can say it doesn't take any space... but it's time to scroll through redundant anything on the internet.
    I think it's straight silly to see a 7-line SIG after a reply that says "Okay" and then again after a next reply that says "That's an answer for the architect". Come.on.
    We got into it a bit yesterday about that. (We are both stubborn 40+ year-olds!)

Microsoft Outlook (what we use) has the option to include a signature on NEW emails or on REPLY emails - two functions.
    Mine is only on "NEW". A very formal signature comes up when I start emails. I also cut/paste it in my first reply to anybody emailing externally (from out of company)

For me, it's clutter to include your email SIG over and over and over and over in the same email chain..

But interesting to see all the varied replies between a) and d).
    Thanks!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    D, for the reason Blayze says. It's super annoying to scroll through thread after thread to find contact info - that's a much worse outcome than long threads with signatures in them.

My organization is a complex one with lots of subsidiaries (therefore no common address book).
    If you are just a subsidiary. You should still have access to all email addresses / information within the parent company. My company is really small, but it's parent parent (grand parent if you will) company is quite large. Our address book is substantial and is not personally maintained. There is a section for you to add your own personal contacts.

Signature's are just intrusive and unnecessary. Info should be in the users profile. Click profile and if on mobile you can click the phone number for it to call. No need to key in the phone number.

I think first email in a thread is okay, it ties it all together and makes it look professional, but after that it's just it's just intrusive. I have never once gotten information from a signature, except for hours of operation (no sense trying to contact them if they were closed lol).
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Like some of the other responses I do full signature block in the first email and then have a short signature block with name and contact info in subsequent emails. That way it both reduces clutter of full signatures and provides clients with the quickest and easiest means of finding my contact info without any additional digging.

For my work we have all employees loaded into the Outlook address book but since working from home, people have office phone numbers that are obsolete and haven't been updated.

Also for our signatures we need to have them in English and French so it's double the clutter if people do full signatures every time.
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Star

The purpose of a signature is contact information. For those in organizations that communicate frequently outside of theirs (I am one of those), it only makes sense to have contact info in every message, easily accessible on mobile devices.

Dobber Sports Sage

The purpose of a signature is contact information. For those in organizations that communicate frequently outside of theirs (I am one of those), it only makes sense to have contact info in every message, easily accessible on mobile devices.
    No not really. A signature is merely for cohesive brand recognition. A neatly presented advertisement for your company. I've never once used a signature for information.

Contact info is easily accessible on every message. Click the users email address / profile and click the phone number you wish to call. You don't even have to key it in. It even shows (if setup properly) who they report to. So you now have contact info if you feel the need to escalate to a higher up.
    cc.png

Even ignoring this, the signature will be on the first reply. To bottom, boom there it is. So unnecessary to include it any more times than once and hinder readability. You say your on mobile... that would make it even worst! Scrolling through 40+ signatures just to get to their email #21.

Sub optimal practices is not a good reason to support anything other than A) or C).

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    No not really. A signature is merely for cohesive brand recognition. Nicely presented advertising for your company. Never once used a signature for information.

Contact info is easily accessible on every message. Click the users email address / profile and click the phone number you wish to call. You don't even have to key it in.
    cc.png

Even ignoring this, the signature will be on the first reply. To bottom, boom there it is. So unnecessary to include it any more times than once and hinder readability. You say your on mobile... that would make it even worst! Scrolling through 40+ signatures just to get to their email #21.

Sub optimal practices is not a good reason to support anything other than A) or C).
    This assumes a level of technical knowledge from the intended audience, which is not always there.

I'm not disagreeing.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    This assumes a level of technical knowledge from the intended audience, which is not always there.

I'm not disagreeing.
    Also, if you're sending emails outside of your company/to the public, they don't have access to those databases.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Star

I've never once used a signature for information.
    We must work in different worlds. That's all I ever use signatures for - "how do I call this person". They're outside my organization so their contact info is not populated in the email I receive.

Also, if we're getting into "best practice here", why on earth are we accepting email threads that are more than 5 messages long?

Dobber Sports Veteran

We must work in different worlds. That's all I ever use signatures for - "how do I call this person". They're outside my organization so their contact info is not populated in the email I receive.

Also, if we're getting into "best practice here", why on earth are we accepting email threads that are more than 5 messages long?
    Always account for the lowest common-denominator
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Sage

What do you propose instead? We have email chains 100's of responses long spanning a month. Those then get saved to PDF and stored.

Always account for the lowest common-denominator
    I mean, if someone takes their business elsewhere because they are *insert excuse here* (unable to find a phone number) to find your signature that's in your first email, good riddance. That's a red flag and very telling of their operation. Not wasting time dealing with that headache... plenty more in line. Granted not all companies can operate like that, but it's a nice luxury to exercise.

Dobber Sports Veteran

What do you propose instead? We have email chains 100's of responses long spanning a month. Those then get saved to PDF.

I mean, if someone takes their business elsewhere because they are *insert excuse here* (unable to find a phone number) to find your signature that's in your first email, good riddance. That's a red flag and very telling of their operation. Not wasting time dealing with that headache... plenty more in line. Granted not all companies can operate like that, but it's a nice luxury to exercise.
    I wouldn't just limit the scope here to just clients.

If you work in a larger company there is a vast range of skillsets and abilities, at all different levels, so it's just easier / safer to account for the issues ahead of time.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, this is just the reality of some places.

My first day at my current role my then boss told me don't be an idiot and you'll move up the later quickly.

He was right.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Sage

I wouldn't just limit the scope here to just clients.

If you work in a larger company there is a vast range of skillsets and abilities, at all different levels, so it's just easier / safer to account for the issues ahead of time.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, this is just the reality of some places.

My first day at my current role my then boss told me don't be an idiot and you'll move up the later quickly.

He was right.
    Intracompany makes it worst lol. I have a hard enough time dealing with others (outside company) that lack... I couldn't handle it within my company. There's times I will have to inform someone, but I'm quite open for that. I love when someone shows initiative to improve. "You're only as good as your weakest link" so best to help them out.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If you are just a subsidiary. You should still have access to all email addresses / information within the parent company. My company is really small, but it's parent parent (grand parent if you will) company is quite large. Our address book is substantial and is not personally maintained. There is a section for you to add your own personal contacts.

Signature's are just intrusive and unnecessary. Info should be in the users profile. Click profile and if on mobile you can click the phone number for it to call. No need to key in the phone number.

I think first email in a thread is okay, it ties it all together and makes it look professional, but after that it's just it's just intrusive. I have never once gotten information from a signature, except for hours of operation (no sense trying to contact them if they were closed lol).
    No offense but you just don't get it. Because you're not in the right role to get it and your responses suggest you are not sensitive to client needs. You come across as an IT guy who thinks everything is super easy and everyone has a handle on basic technology. The fact that you would let a perfectly good paying client walk because you question their IT skills/etiquette is very telling.

Most people are not IT savvy - most people don't even have common sense - and most people don't have time to do all the little things you are suggesting. There are a lot of idiots out there in corporate world. Most people are busy or lazy and just want fast access to your contact info when they need it, at their fingertips.

Never assume people have common sense, basic competency or have any IT skills. As mentioned above - direct your communication strategy to the lowest common denominator.