Thread: Ekblad Trade Value

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Ekblad Trade Value

Trying to swing a deal to pad the defense a little bit. Other GM is rebuilding and doesn't have alot of valuable skaters that can fetch quality assets so I'm sure he wants to get the most out of Ekblad.

Right now he's asking for Denisenko, Perreault, Merzlikins which I don't really hate but I do wonder about a couple things:

1. How much could the injury affect how well Ekblad plays and it is foolish to try and get him now or wait and see?
    2. Is Denisenko going to end up being far more valuable after this season?
    3. Is Tarasov eventually going to make Merzlikins a 1B at best?

The league is goal centric and PP defensemen are hard to come by so it looks tempting... Interested in hearing some thoughts on this one.

League stats are in Sig as well as all the non-replacement level skaters and prospects
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Ekblad Trade Value

If Duncan Keith is worth Caleb Jones and a 3rd round pick, Aaron Ekblad is worth Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl.

I like that deal for you. I think Ekblad is still going to get much better offensively.

Dobber Sports Star

I would trade those three for Ekblad. Although his goal rate from last year is likely unsustainable, he is still emerging and with Yandle receding, he'll have more opportunities.

Questions
    1. Ekblad's injury was a leg fracture, which is better than a ligament or achilles or something like that.
    2. Honestly, who knows. He's a "if he can put it all together, he'll be good" kind of guy which requires prediction of mental maturity.
    3. I think so.

Dobber Sports Star

im wary of any player coming off a broken leg as they dont return to 90%+ right away and sometimes not till a whole season after.

food for thought, he might be worth the risk anyways. i just wouldnt be surprised if he just doesnt feel quite right for the first few months of the season
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Ace

I guess the other thing I have to consider is that I need a couple quality depth forwards. Right now those consist of:

A. Johnsson - probably not going to amount to much at this point
    J. Drouin- Starting to look like a lost cause
    Janmark- Looked decent in the playoffs but I'm not too optimistic

and a host of rotating farm players like Erne, Blackwell and whoever makes the show this season out the farm players in my signature. Losing Denisenko removes one of those better options but definitely easier to replace than a dman.

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven

Dobber Sports Sage

I like that trade for you since you get the best player and it's a 3 for 1. Now you have 2 open roster spots.

Plus, I don't remember what podcast I was listening to last offseason in which they were analyzing Ekblad and how good his underlying stats were the previous season. Now, we've seen what he did this past season plus with Yandle gone he should get all the PP1 time. I would make that deal without much hesitation. Even if it takes him a little while to get back to 100%, he's still only 25. I traded WKarlsson for Ekblad straight up last season and was very pleased with the deal.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Genius

There’s a risk but it’s worth it. Good luck
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Sage

This is the time to get Ekblad. His price will never be lower than it is right now.

Dobber Sports Ace

Done Deal. Ended up swapping some picks as well but that didn't really affect the balance of the deal. Thanks for the input fellows, rep distributed where possible.

Farm (notables):

The Magnificent One

Late to the party, but good deal. Ekblad looks like he didn't improve last season but fun fact - he hit five posts and one crossbar in only 35 games, so he was inches away from a much better season. And the other key is Florida is seemingly no longer are content keeping him off PP1, even if that means trotting out both him and Yandle and having only three forwards.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think you got fleeced (:

Excellent win now move. You moved some guys who could make some serious noise in the league but that isn't going to happen any time soon. Time will tell, but while your waiting you win your pool with Ekblad (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Stud

Ekblad suddenly worth more, with the Yandle buy-out.

I’m doing that deal.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    I think you got fleeced (:

Excellent win now move. You moved some guys who could make some serious noise in the league but that isn't going to happen any time soon. Time will tell, but while your waiting you win your pool with Ekblad (:
    I don't think I got fleeced at all... Denisenko has competition on the wings and a history of undisciplined play, so he seems like far from a sure thing. I realize he looked pretty decent in a small sample size, but it's still a small sample size.

Perreault has yet to play an NHL game so that's another big maybe.

Merzlikins probably isn't even the long term solution on a CBJ team that's struggling to get W's.

This is also a cap league, a weird one though because the salaries have nothing to do with NHL salaries and based on 3 year averages for league fantasy points (please don't ask me to explain it further). Ekblad is on a very friendly contract for 4 years, and goal scoring defenseman are gold in this league, because of the goal-centric structure of the league scoring. Additionally, as the Dr. Brad just mentioned, Ekblad is now the pp1 guy for sure with Yandle out of the picture.

Farm (notables):

Dobber Sports Sage

Glad you grabbed him. Like I said, you would have never gotten him that cheaply if you waited. The Yandle buyout has increased Ekblad's outlook considerably.